Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal - Linux

This is a discussion on Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal - Linux ; "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is correct, but a significant drop in market share is what we would like to see," she said. http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nL17200587 She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows users will ...

  1. Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is correct, but a
    significant drop in market share is what we would like to see," she said.

    http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nL17200587

    She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows users will switch
    to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($ and/or time), and more hassles, and
    at the same time accept less choice in application software, games, and
    hardware?

    This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

  2. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    DFS wrote:

    > "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is correct, but a
    > significant drop in market share is what we would like to see," she said.
    >
    > http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news

    articleinvesting.aspx?type=media&storyID=nL17200587

    > She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows users will
    > switch to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($ and/or time), and more
    > hassles, and at the same time accept less choice in application software,
    > games, and hardware?
    >
    > This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

    Users don't care and they will switch to open source to
    allow more competition.

    Estonia just found out that their entire infrasture was attacked
    but the Beeb through unethical reporting
    failed to mention that it was all windopws fault.

    Governments around the world are now aware of the dangers with
    windopws infrasture - with 50 million PCs infected (about 20%),
    the world is in danger and needs to reduce its dependency on windopws.

  3. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:47:23 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is correct, but a
    > significant drop in market share is what we would like to see," she said.
    >
    > http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nL17200587
    >
    > She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows users will switch
    > to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($ and/or time), and more hassles, and
    > at the same time accept less choice in application software, games, and
    > hardware?
    >
    > This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

    So the argument is, that if the hardware customer is given no choice of OS
    when they buy their system, they should quietly accept the fachttp://tinyurl.com/39ab3qt and go
    away?

    Dream on, sunshine.

    Too many hardware purchasers recently have found that MS Windows Vista is
    utter crap, and they know that they have been short-changed by hardware
    suppliers who have shared in the MS scam. They also know that Windows XP
    users are going to be dumped in the near future, just as Windows 98 users
    have been.

    They are now angry, and for every piece of hardware that is sold from now
    on, and for each angry customer, the outrageous pomposity and arrogance of
    Microsoft is going to be exposed and opposed.

    Not because of what Linux advocates are doing. We simply report the facts,
    by and large. But because of what MS themselves are doing, by shooting
    themselves in the foot.

    The EU know this, and will do what is necessary to regulate the market, in
    the interests of the hardware customer.

  4. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    "DFS" schreef in bericht
    news:3DxJi.102067$jH3.85759@bignews6.bellsouth.net ...
    > "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is correct, but a
    > significant drop in market share is what we would like to see," she said.
    >
    > http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nL17200587
    >
    > She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows users will
    > switch to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($ and/or time), and more
    > hassles, and at the same time accept less choice in application software,
    > games, and hardware?
    >
    > This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

    It's Roy's wet dream though! Let's wait for his articles predicting that
    Linux, after this "major victory" takes over Windows marketshare!

  5. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    Robin T Cox wrote:
    > On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 13:47:23 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is correct, but a
    >> significant drop in market share is what we would like to see," she
    >> said.
    >>
    >> http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nL17200587
    >>
    >> She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows users
    >> will switch to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($ and/or time),
    >> and more hassles, and at the same time accept less choice in
    >> application software, games, and hardware?
    >>
    >> This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

    > So the argument is, that if the hardware customer is given no choice
    > of OS when they buy their system, they should quietly accept the
    > fachttp://tinyurl.com/39ab3qt and go away?
    >
    > Dream on, sunshine.

    Not sure what relation this has to the thread, but ... if the customer
    doesn't like the choices available at one place, they should find another
    place that offers what they want. If they can't find for sale exactly what
    they want, they'll have to build their own system. What's the problem?

    > Too many hardware purchasers recently have found that MS Windows
    > Vista is utter crap,

    The largest collection of Vista ratings I've found is at
    http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...rating-Systems,
    and the Good to Excellent ratings run about 7 to 3 versus the Average to
    Very Poor ratings.

    > and they know that they have been short-changed by
    > hardware suppliers who have shared in the MS scam.

    All this hostility 'cause you can't afford an 8800GTX?

    > They also know that Windows XP users are going to be dumped in
    > the near future, just as Windows 98 users have been.

    Talk about dumping users: Suse left 8.0 users hanging just 2 years after
    introducing that version. http://lwn.net/Articles/89794/

    By contrast, MS will support XP Pro from 2004 through 2014, for a total of
    10 years.

    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifeselectindex
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifecycle

    That shows who really cares about their customers.

    > They are now angry, and for every piece of hardware that is sold from
    > now on, and for each angry customer, the outrageous pomposity and
    > arrogance of Microsoft is going to be exposed and opposed.

    Well, I'll agree MS is somewhat arrogant, but why shouldn't they be? Most
    of their products are the best of their kind, and they captured nearly 100%
    market share in desktop operating systems and office software, and held onto
    them for the last 10 years. Who else can claim that kind of performance?

    Free Linux and open source code rooks only 1 in 50 people? What's that all
    about?

    Horse****. You bozos simply twist or concoct the "facts".

    > But because of what MS themselves are doing,
    > by shooting themselves in the foot.

    In some ways they have sort of shot themselves in the foot w/ Vista: full
    versions are overpriced relative to MacOS and Linux, it has compatibility
    problems, poor experiences w/ upgrade versions, requires too much memory,
    DRM slowdown, gaming slowdown, activation/authentication/WGA, etc.

    What's the *realistic* alternative?

    > The EU know this, and will do what is necessary to regulate the
    > market, in the interests of the hardware customer.

    They will do what is necessary in their psychotic minds to distort the
    market, in their own narrow-minded, nationalistic-xenophobic,
    overly-ambitious-lackey interests.

    Anyone honest with themselves, even cola 'advocates', will recognize the
    evil of what the EU "Competition Commission" is trying to do: humble a large
    successful American corporation.

  6. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    "DFS" wrote in message
    news:3DxJi.102067$jH3.85759@bignews6.bellsouth.net ...
    > "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is correct, but a
    > significant drop in market share is what we would like to see," she said.
    >
    > http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nL17200587
    >
    > She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows users will
    > switch to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($ and/or time), and more
    > hassles, and at the same time accept less choice in application software,
    > games, and hardware?
    >
    > This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

    Worse than that. Real market shares are measured in terms of money, not
    users. Someone other than Microsoft will have to get more than half of the
    money to meet the goal.

  7. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    On Sep 23, 10:47 am, "DFS" wrote:
    > "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is correct, but a
    > significant drop in market share is what we would like to see," she said.
    >
    > http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...px?type=media&...
    >
    > She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows users will switch
    > to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($ and/or time), and more hassles, and
    > at the same time accept less choice in application software, games, and
    > hardware?
    >
    > This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

    Well, if you use Mac or Linux, there is $75/year that you won't have
    to pay in anti-malware software costs. I know because a wintroll told
    me. Want to see the reference?

  8. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, 7

    wrote
    on Sun, 23 Sep 2007 18:08:54 GMT
    :
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is correct, but a
    >> significant drop in market share is what we would like to see," she said.
    >>
    >> http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news

    > articleinvesting.aspx?type=media&storyID=nL17200587
    >>
    >> She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows users will
    >> switch to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($ and/or time), and more
    >> hassles, and at the same time accept less choice in application software,
    >> games, and hardware?
    >>
    >> This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

    > Users don't care and they will switch to open source to
    > allow more competition.

    No, they'll switch to open source if they feel it will
    better fit their particular needs (which might include
    the ability to support a second vendor if the first doesn't
    work out, but might not -- after all, Microsoft is hugely
    profitable, and isn't in danger of dying quite yet).

    That's why marketing wins...put the right spin on
    something, and they'll sell it (why the TCO "Get the facts"
    campaign, after all? Somebody must have thought that would
    be a good idea). However, Linux hopefully has enough
    critical mass that people might ask some interesting
    questions at least, like, "Duh, why is Microsoft not
    meeting my needs with Windows Vista, which takes 2 GB RAM
    to run efficiently"?

    (The answer, of course: wait for Blackcomb. :-) It will
    only take 4 GB to run efficiently. Meanwhile, Linux runs
    fine on a 512 MB 1.4 GHz Athlon, and would probably run
    reasonably well even now on a 16 MB 486 -- though don't
    expect much in the way of ultramegacool graphics. :-) )

    > Estonia just found out that their entire infrasture was attacked
    > but the Beeb through unethical reporting
    > failed to mention that it was all windopws fault.
    >
    > Governments around the world are now aware of the dangers with
    > windopws infrasture - with 50 million PCs infected (about 20%),
    > the world is in danger and needs to reduce its dependency on windopws.

    The world is not (yet!) in danger from a computer
    infestation, though one wonders how much of this is
    infiltrating various banking institutions. AFAIK the
    nuclear codes in the US are safe ...

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. The choice of a GNU generation.
    Windows. The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
    a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".

  9. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > On Sep 23, 10:47 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >> "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is correct, but a
    >> significant drop in market share is what we would like to see," she
    >> said.
    >>
    >> http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...px?type=media&...
    >>
    >> She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows users
    >> will switch to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($ and/or time),
    >> and more hassles, and at the same time accept less choice in
    >> application software, games, and hardware?
    >>
    >> This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

    > Well, if you use Mac or Linux, there is $75/year that you won't have
    > to pay in anti-malware software costs.

    You don't have to pay a cent for anti-malware software to run Windows.

    > I know because a wintroll told
    > me. Want to see the reference?

    I've already seen it. See, this time you said 'anti-malware' was $75/year.
    Previously you said 'anti-virus' was $75/year, and that's not what the OP
    said.

  10. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    > "DFS" wrote:
    >
    >> "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is
    >> correct, but a significant drop in market share is what we
    >> would like to see," she said.
    >>
    >> http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...px?type=media&...
    >>
    >> She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows
    >> users will switch to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($
    >> and/or time), and more hassles, and at the same time accept
    >> less choice in application software, games, and hardware?
    >>
    >> This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

    > Well, if you use Mac or Linux, there is $75/year that you
    > won't have to pay in anti-malware software costs. I know
    > because a wintroll told me. Want to see the reference?

    According to

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...school-it.html

    or http://tinyurl.com/3y87du

    Buying security from Trend Micro to cover all seven schools would
    have cost $200,000 a year. .... Windsor spent about $2,500 on AVG
    open source security products from Grisoft, a fraction of the
    prices charged by Trend Micro, according to Carver.
    A 4.6 day ROI payback is quite good. Windsor high school
    district was able to purchase additional IT hardware and software
    with the available cash.

    That is not blind or insane, it is common sense.

    --
    HPT

  11. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:05:47 -0400
    :
    > nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu wrote:
    >> On Sep 23, 10:47 am, "DFS" wrote:
    >>> "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is correct, but a
    >>> significant drop in market share is what we would like to see," she
    >>> said.
    >>>
    >>> http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...px?type=media&...
    >>>
    >>> She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows users
    >>> will switch to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($ and/or time),
    >>> and more hassles, and at the same time accept less choice in
    >>> application software, games, and hardware?
    >>>
    >>> This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

    >> Well, if you use Mac or Linux, there is $75/year that you won't have
    >> to pay in anti-malware software costs.

    > You don't have to pay a cent for anti-malware software to run Windows.

    Well, there you have it then. Windows is better because
    it has free anti-malware software!

    Order now! Operators are standing by....

    [rest snipped]

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Windows Vista. Because it's time to refresh your hardware. Trust us.

  12. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    Verily I say unto thee, that The Ghost In The Machine spake thusly:

    > Well, there you have it then. Windows is better because it has free
    > anti-malware software!
    >
    > Order now! Operators are standing by....

    Don't be silly. Windows is /obviously/ "better" because it enables
    Sweaty to re-sell substandard, Microsoft-retrofitted, assimilated
    technology to a captive audience at extortionate prices; thus
    justifying the existence of toner-monkeys like DooFuS and Quirk.

    Better for Microsoft, better for the toner-monkeys, better for ... erm
    .... Microsoft.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    | "OOXML is a superb standard"
    | - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.
    `----

    02:38:56 up 48 days, 1:33, 2 users, load average: 0.15, 0.17, 0.21

  13. Re: Neelie Kroes (of EU "Competition Commission") reveals goal

    DFS wrote:

    > "You can't draw a line and say exactly 50 (percent) is
    > correct, but a significant drop in market share is what we
    > would like to see," she said.
    >
    > http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/...yID=nL17200587
    >
    > She is blindly hoping that several hundred million Windows
    > users will switch to Linux or Mac, and incur more cost ($
    > and/or time), and more hassles, and at the same time accept
    > less choice in application software, games, and hardware?
    >
    > This is incredibly naive, if not insane.

    She is not naive or insane. It will take years for the market to
    shift, such does not happen overnight. However, we will see
    new efforts in non-Microsoft desktop automation, application
    areas and OS grow. Things happen gradually. Problem is now
    there is no growth, no competition. The encumbent has done its
    all to thwart innovation and destroy competition through its
    anticompetitive acts.

    From PDF link on web page

    http://www.antitrustinstitute.org/Archives/miceu3.ashx

    As the inconsistency from one US Administration to the next might
    suggest, Barnett is far from speaking for a unified US antitrust
    community. His public attitude toward monopoly has at least been
    consistent: the government should avoid doing anything that
    might chill aggressive “competition” by a monopolist.

    Thus, Barnett’s statement smacks of remorse that the US
    government did anything at all to stop Microsoft’s exclusionary
    practices. The American Antitrust Institute and many other
    observers of the antitrust scene are far more concerned about the
    ability of a monopolist to “chill competition” by erecting entry
    barriers that protect the monopoly against unwanted intruders.

    The EC’s position, upheld now on appeal, shows the proper concern
    for practices by dominant firms that eliminate both actual and
    potential competition which could benefit consumers. The EC has
    appropriately targeted strategies that would have the effect of
    deterring investment in innovations that might lead to a
    reduction of the monopolist’s power and new benefits for consumers.
    US government failed in correcting the anticompetitive balances.
    All Microsoft did was adapt its tactics, which effectively
    ignored any judicial correction. The ball is now in the EU's courts.

    In reality, the only correction may work is that which the DOJ
    originally had proposed prior to 2000 - break up the Corporation
    into separate companies, one that does applications, the other
    that does operating systems.

    --
    HPT

+ Reply to Thread