WebKit GTK+ port passes Acid3 on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The GTK+ port of WebKit is the first open source HTML render to fully pass
| the Acid3 test on the Linux platform. WebKit, which is Apple's increasingly
| popular fork of KDE's KHTML rendering engine, is used by Apple's Safari web
| browser and the iPhone. The GNOME desktop environment's Epiphany web browser
| has also adopted WebKit and will be using it instead of Firefox's Gecko
| rendering engine in a future release.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linu...t-passes-acid3

IE7 (and 8 beta) are the most horrible ones in terms of compliance as judged by
Acid3.

Recent:

Opera proves Acid3 score with public build

,----[ Quote ]
| Opera Software on Friday released a development build of its Opera browser to
| the public to prove that it has code that scores 100 out of a possible 100 on
| the Acid3 Web standards test. *
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...73;fp;2;fpid;1

Internet Explorer: A Browser Breaks

,----[ Quote ]
| Enterprises are holding onto IE 6 and giving Firefox some love. IE 6 usage is
| going to be a problem for Web developers, because of the browser's weak
| standards support. If there were a Web equivalent to Frankenstein's monster,
| IE 6 could be it. *
`----

http://tinyurl.com/37oyuu

Opera CTO: How to fix Microsoft's browser issues

,----[ Quote ]
| Embrace the standards, nicely, or get out of browsers
|
| If there was a functioning market for web browsers and operating systems, the
| past few weeks would have seen two announcements from Microsoft. After a
| firestorm of criticism from the web design community about Internet Explorer
| 8's misguided mode switching proposal, Redmond would have publicly backed
| down. Second, Microsoft would have bowed to 90,000 users demanding that
| Windows XP continue to be sold. * *
|
| There were no such announcements. Why? Because Microsoft, with its dominating
| position in the web browser and operating system markets, acts like a
| monopoly. *
|
| A monopoly doesn't have to consider its customers' wants or needs. In a
| functioning market, vendors must consider such things in order to compete
| successfully. But the market isn't functioning. *
|
| Microsoft's failure to respond to its customers' outcry shows that it is time
| to call on established antitrust laws that allow governments to impose
| sanctions on a vendor that has a dominant position in a market. The purpose
| of these sanctions is to ensure competition and innovation and thereby create
| a market in which consumers are heard. * *
|
| Recently, the European Commission opened several investigations into
| Microsoft's dominant position. As a regulatory body, they could decide to
| impose sanctions and while Microsoft might ignore their frustrated customers,
| they would have a harder time ignoring the European Commission. *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...s_reform_plan/

Be prepared: ActiveX attacks will persist

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent string of high-profile ActiveX vulnerabilities caused the U.S.
| Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) to advise users to disable the
| ubiquitous Microsoft browser plug-in technology altogether. *
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...-horror_1.html

Microsoft ruling may not bolster Europe's new case, warns lawyer

,----[ Quote ]
| The new investigation into Microsoft will look into whether it is legal for a
| company with its market dominance to include web browser Internet Explorer
| with its Windows operating system. It will also look at whether the operating
| system allows for enough interoperability with other companies' software. *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01...soft_analysis/

EU round two: Commission probing Microsoft conduct on new issues

,----[ Quote ]
| ...I doubt Microsoft's legal team is surprised by this. After the September
| ruling on the first EC case, I asked Microsoft General Counsel Brad Smith
| whether any additional features of Windows could fall under the same scrutiny
| that Windows Media Player received. Smith said: *
|
| "I think that it's fair to say that features that the commission regards as
| being present in competing applications may be subject to the kind of
| scrutiny the media player was put under. We basically went through that kind
| of process already for Windows Vista. For example, there was a lot of
| scrutiny on the desktop search feature, on the encryption feature, on the
| various security features in general, on the new file format for portable
| documents and that's probably a fairly indicative list of the kinds of
| features that one would predict they'd focus on in the future..." * * *
`----

http://blog.seattletimes.nwsource.co...t_conduct.html

Interview with ECIS's Thomas Vinje Regarding Opera's Complaint

,----[ Quote ]
| So that is one of the issues Opera is bringing to the EU Commission, that
| consumers are being held back by Microsoft's long history of extending
| standards with proprietary alterations/additions/tweaks and refusing or
| neglecting to support web standards. Mr. Vinje also speaks about Silverlight
| and I really hope the EU Commission looks into what bundling Silverlight
| could do to the Internet. * *
|
| The other issue Opera is raising, of course, is bundling, which is what makes
| it possible for a monopoly to ignore standards others would like them to use.
| While it's unknown if the EU Commission will care about standards as an
| antitrust issue, the bundling issue is very much more straightforward, as Mr.
| Vinje explains... * *
`----

Lights out for Silverlight

,----[ Quote ]
| The next point is the availability of the tools. Even though you can
| view Silverlight on OS X, you will have no chance of being able to
| author Silverlight content without a Windows licence. This is a
| conscious decision. On the one hand, Microsoft wants to get
| designers using their Expression toolset yet designers will have
| to come across to the Windows platform in order to do it. It may
| not be such a large hurdle but it is a hurdle nevertheless. Ever
| tried to force an OS X user onto Windows? They cry, they scream
| and they want their (at times) consistent GUI back.
`----

http://tinyurl.com/27jpuv

Dump IE 6 campaign runs afoul of dump IE 6 campaign

,----[ Quote ]
| While Hudin acknowledged that two people can have the same idea, he noted
| that he kicked off his campaign - End 6! - last year and registered the
| domain name in October 2007. *
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/0...ve_developers/

Opera and the Acid3 Test

,----[ Quote ]
| We have some excellent news! Lars Erik Bolstad, the Head of Core Technology
| at Opera Software, sent me the following information to share...
`----

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog...the-acid3-test

IE8: The Bad

,----[ Quote ]
| There are quite a few good things about the Microsoft release, such as
| showing that HTML5 is looked at, Acid2 is (almost) being passed, and CSS
| support is improving, but there are quite a few evil things as well...
`----

http://annevankesteren.nl/2008/03/ie8-bad

ACID3 and Konqueror

,----[ Quote ]
| As you can see, amongst stable versions (in bold), Konqueror beats them all.
| Hip, hip, hooray for Konqueror (KHTML) devs! And one hip and hooray for
| WebKit!
`----

http://ivan.fomentgroup.org/blog/200...and-konqueror/

Related:

Users, Web developers vent over IE7

,----[ Quote ]
| Users of Internet Explorer 7 (IE7) turned a blog post by a Microsoft program
| manager into a complaint free-for-all that took the company to task for not
| following through on browser upgrade promises and alienating Web developers.
`----

IE7 still creating problems for developers?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://devthought.com/ie7-still-crea...or-developers/