Tim O'Reilly: We are in a 'soup of computing'

,----[ Quote ]
| "The Internet is becoming the global platform for everything," he said, and
| it will make everyone in the world smarter. "It's an amazing revolution in
| human augmentation akin to literacy or the formation of cities," he
| continued. "It's a huge change in the way the world works."
`----

Web 2.0: Offline Access to Web Apps Is Trend

,----[ Quote ]
| Offline access to Web applications is becoming an important trend, with Adobe
| and Google looking to make the most of this new direction.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._is_trend.html

Sun gears JavaFX for consumer move

,----[ Quote ]
| JavaFX, introduced by Sun last year as a Java-based platform for building
| visually oriented applications, will be leveraged in the growing consumer
| application space.
|
| Company officials Tuesday afternoon discussed Sun's plans, which will be
| emphasized at the JavaOne conference in San Francisco in two weeks. JavaFX
| technologies currently are available only in pre-release forms, but Sun
| already has big plans to expand the platform to enable development of
| consumer applications including productivity systems, games, and social
| applications similar to Facebook.
`----

Recent:

Study: U.S. game console ownership rising rapidly

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, a study from market research firm IDC projects a sunny
| outlook for Nintendo's Wii console, a device that has capitalized
| on the growing demand for Internet-enabled game console features.
| The Wii features Opera browser functionality, and a handful of
| third-party Internet companies have been optimizing their
| products for it.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9584_22-6164274.html

Related:

After the Desktop -- What?

,----[ Quote ]
| I would suggest that the open source community should stop obsessing
| with the battle for the desktop, and start focusing on the battle for
| the platform that will replace it. As I have said before, the day
| will soon come when the notion of having to go to a particular
| machine on a particular room every time you need access to
| information or computer power will be as obsolete as the notion
| of having to go to the hand pump over the well in the front
| yard every time you need water.
`----

http://trevors-trinkets.blogspot.com...ktop-what.html

PLAYSTATION®3 (with Linux)

,----[ Quote ]
| # Game OS + Yellow Dog Linux pre-installed.
| # Yellow Dog Linux DVD package, Guide to Installation, sticker, & flippy.
| # 20GB or 60GB drive.
| # Cell processor with 256MB RAM on-board (no expansion).
| # Gigabit ethernet.
| # Dual USB.
| # Compact Flash, Memory Stick, and SD-RAM card slots.
| # Blueray DVD. ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ┬* ( <--- worth the cost for that one alone )
`----

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/st...ware&submitimg[hardware
[sony]=1

Linux expected to be leading Smartphone OS market by 2010

,----[ Quote ]
| I just came across this research by Diffusion Group, which found
| that Linux is set to become the leading Smartphone OS by 2010.
`----

http://irfanhabib.wordpress.com/2006...arket-by-2010/

FEATURE: Mobile Linux: Why it will become the dominant mobile OS

,----[ Quote ]
| I see the mobile Linux wave out in the ocean and am sounding the
| alarm--the mobile Linux tide is rising. Be prepared.
`----

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...-os/2007-01-03

Linux Growth Accelerates with Server Shipments in 4th QTR 2006

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/H...n_4th_QTR_2006