advice for 2.4 to 2.6 migration - Linux

This is a discussion on advice for 2.4 to 2.6 migration - Linux ; I am running a 2.4 kernel with modutils. If I understand correctly there has been a big change in modules with the 2.6 kernel. How would be the best way to install the utilities for the 2.6 kernel ? I ...

  1. advice for 2.4 to 2.6 migration

    I am running a 2.4 kernel with modutils. If I understand correctly there
    has been a big change in modules with the 2.6 kernel. How would be the best
    way to install the utilities for the 2.6 kernel ? I have thought about
    compiling the 2.6 kernel and loading it with the --noinitrd option and then
    removing modutils while loading the new module support. What would be the
    best way to do this if anyone has done it?

    Bill

  2. Re: advice for 2.4 to 2.6 migration

    "Bill Cunningham" writes:

    > I am running a 2.4 kernel with modutils. If I understand correctly there
    > has been a big change in modules with the 2.6 kernel. How would be the best
    > way to install the utilities for the 2.6 kernel ? I have thought about
    > compiling the 2.6 kernel and loading it with the --noinitrd option and then
    > removing modutils while loading the new module support. What would be the
    > best way to do this if anyone has done it?

    You can have both old and new module tools installed at the same time.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
    mans@mansr.com

  3. Re: advice for 2.4 to 2.6 migration

    "Bill Cunningham" writes:
    > I am running a 2.4 kernel with modutils. If I understand correctly there
    > has been a big change in modules with the 2.6 kernel. How would be the best
    > way to install the utilities for the 2.6 kernel ?

    Insofar this hasn't changed since I did it: Download the source for
    the 2.6 module-init-tools, compile and install them. Quoting the
    modprobe manpage:

    BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY
    This version of modprobe is for kernels 2.5.48 and above. If
    it detects a kernel with support for old-style modules (for
    which much of the work was done in userspace), it will attempt
    to run modprobe.modutils in its place, so it is completely
    transparent to the user.

    The 'install' target of the Makefile will rename the 2.4 module tools
    automatically.

    NB: It is usually a bad idea to update parts of an installation
    managed by some kind of package manager (rpm, dpkg) manually.

    > I have thought about compiling the 2.6 kernel and loading it with
    > the --noinitrd option

    Do yourself a favor and don't use initrd, except if you really need a
    single kernel capable of booting computers using different disk
    subsystems (SCSI, IDE, SATA, ...) or different root filesystem-types.

    There is no point in compiling something which is always needed as a
    module: It's just more complicated, increases the boot time somewhat
    and is somewhat slower.

  4. Re: advice for 2.4 to 2.6 migration

    > You can have both old and new module tools installed at the same time.

    So what about making a new initrd for this 2.6 kernel will my old
    mkinitrd work once I load the 2.6 kernel ?

    Bill

+ Reply to Thread