Re: [News] Bill Gates' Latest Smear, FUD Tactics and Fake "Retirement" - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] Bill Gates' Latest Smear, FUD Tactics and Fake "Retirement" - Linux ; Roy Schestowitz wrote: > Bill Gates Claims Open Source Means Nobody Can Improve Software > > ,----[ Quote ] > | His complaint is that open source creates a license "so that nobody can > | ever improve the software." ...

  1. Re: [News] Bill Gates' Latest Smear, FUD Tactics and Fake "Retirement"

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Bill Gates Claims Open Source Means Nobody Can Improve Software
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | His complaint is that open source creates a license "so that nobody can
    > | ever improve the software." It's hard to figure out how to respond to
    > | that statement since it's the exact opposite of how open source software
    > | works. The exact point is that anyone can improve the software. It's
    > | proprietary software like Microsoft's that's limited such that only
    > | Microsoft is allowed to improve it. It's no secret that Gates isn't a
    > | fan of open source software, but it still seems odd that he would make a
    > | statement that is so obviously false, both in theory and in practice.
    > | Perhaps old FUD habits die hard, but one would hope that as he enters
    > | "retirement" he'll have a more open mind on such things.
    > `----

    Didn't realize Vista ME was open source.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  2. Re: [News] Bill Gates' Latest Smear, FUD Tactics and Fake "Retirement"

    ____/ RonB on Thursday 24 April 2008 01:57 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Bill Gates Claims Open Source Means Nobody Can Improve Software
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | His complaint is that open source creates a license "so that nobody can
    >> | ever improve the software." It's hard to figure out how to respond to
    >> | that statement since it's the exact opposite of how open source software
    >> | works. The exact point is that anyone can improve the software. It's
    >> | proprietary software like Microsoft's that's limited such that only
    >> | Microsoft is allowed to improve it. It's no secret that Gates isn't a
    >> | fan of open source software, but it still seems odd that he would make a
    >> | statement that is so obviously false, both in theory and in practice.
    >> | Perhaps old FUD habits die hard, but one would hope that as he enters
    >> | "retirement" he'll have a more open mind on such things.
    >> `----

    > Didn't realize Vista ME was open source.

    It *might* eventually be, but Ballmer says that Vista ME is still "work in
    progress." When will there be a final release of Vista?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | while (!0==1) echo 'Bill Gates' > /dev/null
    08:05:01 up 9 days, 6:17, 3 users, load average: 0.46, 1.15, 1.52

  3. Re: [News] Bill Gates' Latest Smear, FUD Tactics and Fake "Retirement"

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ RonB on Thursday 24 April 2008 01:57 : \____
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bill Gates Claims Open Source Means Nobody Can Improve Software
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----

    >> Didn't realize Vista ME was open source.

    > It *might* eventually be, but Ballmer says that Vista ME is still "work in
    > progress." When will there be a final release of Vista?

    But *will* there be a final release of Vista? Or will M$, in their usual
    manner, make an updated version of Vista (remember Win98 & 98SE?) so they
    can screw yet *more* cash out of their followers...thus fullfilling their
    motto "Never give a sucker an even break".

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  4. Re: [News] Bill Gates' Latest Smear, FUD Tactics and Fake "Retirement"

    On 2008-04-24, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    > ____/ RonB on Thursday 24 April 2008 01:57 : \____

    >> Didn't realize Vista ME was open source.

    > It *might* eventually be, but Ballmer says that Vista ME is still "work in
    > progress." When will there be a final release of Vista?

    6 months or a year after they can safely start pretending they never
    heard of it and get the Windummies to fall for it.

    --
    It's spelled W-I-N-D-O-W-S. But it's pronounced CRAP.

  5. Re: [News] Bill Gates' Latest Smear, FUD Tactics and Fake "Retirement"

    On 2008-04-24, William Poaster claimed:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> ____/ RonB on Thursday 24 April 2008 01:57 : \____

    >>> Didn't realize Vista ME was open source.

    >> It *might* eventually be, but Ballmer says that Vista ME is still "work in
    >> progress." When will there be a final release of Vista?

    > But *will* there be a final release of Vista? Or will M$, in their usual
    > manner, make an updated version of Vista (remember Win98 & 98SE?) so they
    > can screw yet *more* cash out of their followers...thus fullfilling their
    > motto "Never give a sucker an even break".

    I think it'll be more like Windows ME (vs. Vista ME). They'll stop
    selling it, stop talking about it, bury it in the press and search
    engines with as much information as they can with updated "news" about
    Windows 7 ME and pretend it never happened.

    NEWSTARD: Did Vista cause you to have to rethink how you're doing
    business?

    SWEATY: Huh? Vista? What's that? Is that another one of those linux
    things? We're not worried about linux. We're not threatened
    by it. It never colors anything we do. Now, Windows 7 will
    compare very favorably with linux.

    NEWSTARD: Vista? Did I say that? I have no idea what that is. I can't
    imagine why I mentioned something I never heard of before.
    Yeah, linux is a niche product. Vista sounds like a name for
    a niche product. It must be another one of those niche linux
    products.

    --
    Windows: Malware with a brand name.

  6. Re: [News] Bill Gates' Latest Smear, FUD Tactics and Fake "Retirement"

    ____/ Sinister Midget on Thursday 24 April 2008 10:55 : \____

    > On 2008-04-24, Roy Schestowitz claimed:
    >> ____/ RonB on Thursday 24 April 2008 01:57 : \____

    >>> Didn't realize Vista ME was open source.

    >> It *might* eventually be, but Ballmer says that Vista ME is still "work in
    >> progress." When will there be a final release of Vista?

    > 6 months or a year after they can safely start pretending they never
    > heard of it and get the Windummies to fall for it.

    Maybe they can tilt the "V" and make it look like a "7", then pretend Vista
    never existed. I want to see Vista in reality one day (never did)... but it's
    too early and unfair to judge it while it's "work and progress." I know, I
    know... they say it's "not finished yet."

    Been waiting since 2001... still no final release of Vista where progress is
    said to be complete. Been almost 7 years, no?

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "Don’t encourage new, cross-platform Java classes, especially don’t help get
    great Win 32 implementations written/deployed. (..) Do encourage fragmentation
    of the Java classlib space."
    --Ben Slivka, Microsoft

  7. Re: [News] Bill Gates' Latest Smear, FUD Tactics and Fake "Retirement"

    ____/ Sinister Midget on Thursday 24 April 2008 11:29 : \____

    > On 2008-04-24, William Poaster claimed:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> ____/ RonB on Thursday 24 April 2008 01:57 : \____

    >>> It *might* eventually be, but Ballmer says that Vista ME is still "work in
    >>> progress." When will there be a final release of Vista?

    >> But *will* there be a final release of Vista? Or will M$, in their usual
    >> manner, make an updated version of Vista (remember Win98 & 98SE?) so they
    >> can screw yet *more* cash out of their followers...thus fullfilling their
    >> motto "Never give a sucker an even break".

    > I think it'll be more like Windows ME (vs. Vista ME). They'll stop
    > selling it, stop talking about it, bury it in the press and search
    > engines with as much information as they can with updated "news" about
    > Windows 7 ME and pretend it never happened.
    >
    > NEWSTARD: Did Vista cause you to have to rethink how you're doing
    > business?
    >
    > SWEATY: Huh? Vista? What's that? Is that another one of those linux
    > things? We're not worried about linux. We're not threatened
    > by it. It never colors anything we do. Now, Windows 7 will
    > compare very favorably with linux.
    >
    > NEWSTARD: Vista? Did I say that? I have no idea what that is. I can't
    > imagine why I mentioned something I never heard of before.
    > Yeah, linux is a niche product. Vista sounds like a name for
    > a niche product. It must be another one of those niche linux
    > products.

    From what I've read, SP1 made it worse in certain ways. Even fewer applications
    run on that *ahem* resource pig, which is slower than RTM in some ways. Some
    people find their system unbootable.

    Vista has been very embarrassing to Microsoft and they know the truth
    internally (they just hardly show it, but Pirillo sure does).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "Don’t encourage new, cross-platform Java classes, especially don’t help get
    great Win 32 implementations written/deployed. (..) Do encourage fragmentation
    of the Java classlib space."

    --Ben Slivka, Microsoft

+ Reply to Thread