Ubuntu 8.04’s Wubi makes for universal desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubuntu 8.04, dubbed Hardy Heron, is out this week and Linuxophiles worldwide
| are excited. It’s not hard to see why, but is this really the much-fabled
| year of the Linux desktop? Will the Heron match the unmet hype of predecessor
| Gutsy Gibbon? And let me tell you just how spectacular and cool Wubi is.

Windows installers for Linux distributions

,----[ Quote ]
| Much talk has been happening about Wubi that is going to be a part of Ubuntu
| 8.04 - Hardy Heron. Wubi is a utility that allows installation of Ubuntu
| through Windows! What’s more? You can uninstall it using Add/Remove Programs
| in the Windows control panel.

Hard to install Linux???

The joy of using Ubuntu

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s a strange feeling, but I really enjoy booting up and using Ubuntu—as my
| primary OS at home, like I have felt for no other before. I mean, I am
| neither a linux kernel diver, nor a developer. I’m just this regular guy—okay
| I run this website, but that’s it. Nothing fancier than that. *
| I have been using Linux live CDs in the past, but until I took the plunge to
| install it on my computer’s hard drive, I was really skeptical about
| everything Ubuntu had to offer. Now, I wish all computers I use were running
| Ubuntu. *

Installing Ubuntu On Laptops: My Experience

,----[ Quote ]
| How easy is it?
| Well, turns out it is pretty easy. Downloading and creating the Ubuntu Live
| CD is a breeze following the instructions on the Ubuntu wiki. Of course with
| a live CD, its then simple to boot your system into Ubuntu to see how it
| behaves with your hardware and whether it offers all the bells and whistles
| that you might desire in your new Linux OS. Moving from the Live CD to a full
| HDD install is still easy, using the same source of instruction, the Ubuntu
| wiki.

Installing a modern Linux distribution *

,----[ Quote ]
| A modern Linux install should take no more than forty-five minutes for the
| initial install and maybe an hours worth of tweaking to get the missing bits
| running the way the user wants this may take longer with more complected
| setups like using ATI or NVIDIA cards with Compiz. *

Vista Ultimate vs. Ubuntu 7.04 - Which Install Is Easier?

,----[ Quote ]
| So less than 3 hours into this experiment, I have both Vista and Ubuntu
| installed and patched. Both systems are stable, more or less, but both
| systems have quirks. Neither system worked perfectly, but much to my surprise
| the Ubuntu system worked better, (once I got the keyboard working). More
| hardware worked without needing to download additional drivers. More over,
| there is moreover, the desktop that I do have is more functional -
| applications like GIMP, Open Office, and a slew of multi-media apps are far
| more useful than Wordpad, Paint and the slew of crap that Vista comes with. * * *

Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and

,----[ Quote ]
| This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
| where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
| wanted to test it.

Linux is Easier to Install than Windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| A brief, but honest description of why Linux is better than Windows!

[Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, this tool is certainly one of the easiest ways of letting
| people try Ubuntu without removing Windows or having to partition their hard
| drive for a dual-boot. *I have enjoyed this tool, and although it is still in
| beta, it works very well and is very stable. *So, if you are running a
| computer with Windows and want to give Ubuntu a try, then this is the
| solution for you. * *

Installing Ubuntu, a world without Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| The "Welcome" page will start. I chose English and then I clicked the forward
| button. On the Time Zone page, you click a city on the map. I clicked St
| John's, the city listed for the Newfoundland Time Zone. Click forward again.
| I picked US English keyboard and clicked forward for the third time. *
| Now, the partition wizard starts up. Choose one of the guided installs. You
| will usually have more than one choice here and they depend on your
| particular machine. You may be able to resize your existing partition to only
| use the available space on it, or you can choose to use the full hard drive
| for Ubuntu. * *

Ubuntu 1, Windows 0

,----[ Quote ]
| I installed Ubuntu on the Toshiba laptop. Ubuntu installed in 15 minutes - 49
| for Windows XP and 125 for Windows Vista. Ubuntu's desktop came right up. I
| opened the pre-installed Firefox browser and found I could browse the Web
| immediately. Ubuntu installed a network adaptor for the Toshiba laptop. *
| I shake my head at this Windows foolishness!

The day of the Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| The idea here is that this is something almost anyone can do, almost anywhere
| in the world, without any central organization or, indeed, any organization
| at all. This is not Linux World or Linux Continent or Linux Country or Linux
| State or even Linux City or Linux Village. And it's not a year, a month, or
| even a week. It's just one day. * *

Installing A New Printer. Windows vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows - 40 Minutes
| [...]
| Linux - 2 Minutes
| While I was waiting for the first round of software to install on Windows, I
| turned to my laptop running Ubuntu to see if I could get it setup to print as
| well. I launched the printing configuration tool. Clicked on "New Printer".
| Typed in the IP address I had assigned to the printer and selected the model
| number. * *

How To Install Gutsy Gibbon - A 21 Step Guide For Technical Support

,----[ Quote ]