Yahoo sinks while Microsoft rises. Microsoft likely to walk away from Yahoo deal. - Linux

This is a discussion on Yahoo sinks while Microsoft rises. Microsoft likely to walk away from Yahoo deal. - Linux ; http://www.fool.com/investing/value/...o-goodbye.aspx Yahoo!'s (Nasdaq: YHOO) first-quarter report was neither the treasure trove investors craved, nor the minefield they feared. Revenue before traffic acquisition costs climbed 14% to $1.35 billion, but that was no surprise. Yahoo! had snapped up several small online ...

  1. Yahoo sinks while Microsoft rises. Microsoft likely to walk away from Yahoo deal.

    http://www.fool.com/investing/value/...o-goodbye.aspx

    Yahoo!'s (Nasdaq: YHOO) first-quarter report was neither the treasure trove
    investors craved, nor the minefield they feared.

    Revenue before traffic acquisition costs climbed 14% to $1.35 billion, but
    that was no surprise. Yahoo! had snapped up several small online advertising
    firms over the past year.

    The numbers don't get too encouraging from there:

    - Free cash flow would have fallen, if not for a one-time $350 million
    payment from AT&T (NYSE: T).
    - Operating income also dropped.
    - Adjusted earnings fell from $154 million to $150 million.
    - Display advertising gains helped power a 19% top-line surge
    domestically, but Yahoo! suffered an 11% dip in international revenue.
    That's a problem, since operating margins are much higher internationally
    for Yahoo! than in its domestic efforts.
    - Revenue from affiliated sites -- the equivalent of Google's (Nasdaq:
    GOOG) growing AdSense network of third-party publishers -- has fallen for
    several quarters now.

    Memo to Steve Ballmer:
    Are you sure you still want this on your hands, Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT)? If
    the software giant thought it was getting boosts in international markets
    and affiliate-site network exposure, Yahoo! seems to be fading on both
    fronts.

    Why else would Yahoo!'s report show just roughly 35% of the revenue and less
    than 10% of the profit of Google's blowout quarter last week, despite
    supposedly serving up more page views as the Web's most trafficked site?

    This quarter was supposed to be huge. It was supposed to set the stage for
    Microsoft to raise its bid or cut its losses. In the end, it's too ho-hum to
    matter, which is telling; you'd think that Yahoo! would pull out all the
    stops to deliver a blowout quarter like Google did last week.

  2. Re: Yahoo sinks while Microsoft rises. Microsoft likely to walk away from Yahoo deal.

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:05:13 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.fool.com/investing/value/...o-goodbye.aspx
    >

    > Yahoo!'s (Nasdaq: YHOO) first-quarter report was neither the treasure trove
    > investors craved, nor the minefield they feared.
    >
    > Revenue before traffic acquisition costs climbed 14% to $1.35 billion, but
    > that was no surprise. Yahoo! had snapped up several small online advertising
    > firms over the past year.
    >
    > The numbers don't get too encouraging from there:
    >
    > - Free cash flow would have fallen, if not for a one-time $350 million
    > payment from AT&T (NYSE: T).
    > - Operating income also dropped.
    > - Adjusted earnings fell from $154 million to $150 million.
    > - Display advertising gains helped power a 19% top-line surge
    > domestically, but Yahoo! suffered an 11% dip in international revenue.
    > That's a problem, since operating margins are much higher internationally
    > for Yahoo! than in its domestic efforts.
    > - Revenue from affiliated sites -- the equivalent of Google's (Nasdaq:
    > GOOG) growing AdSense network of third-party publishers -- has fallen for
    > several quarters now.
    >

    > Memo to Steve Ballmer:
    > Are you sure you still want this on your hands, Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT)? If
    > the software giant thought it was getting boosts in international markets
    > and affiliate-site network exposure, Yahoo! seems to be fading on both
    > fronts.
    >
    > Why else would Yahoo!'s report show just roughly 35% of the revenue and less
    > than 10% of the profit of Google's blowout quarter last week, despite
    > supposedly serving up more page views as the Web's most trafficked site?
    >

    > This quarter was supposed to be huge. It was supposed to set the stage for
    > Microsoft to raise its bid or cut its losses. In the end, it's too ho-hum to
    > matter, which is telling; you'd think that Yahoo! would pull out all the
    > stops to deliver a blowout quarter like Google did last week.

    I've just sent a letter to Steve advising him to give Roy Schestowitz and
    Mark Kent a ring for some advice on what he should do.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Yahoo sinks while Microsoft rises. Microsoft likely to walk away from Yahoo deal.

    Micoshaft Fraudster and Asstroturfer Ezekiel wrote on behalf of half wits
    from Micoshaft Corporation:

    You are posting off topic news spam again into Linux advocacy newsgroup.

+ Reply to Thread