Microsoft 'kill switch' resurfaces in Albany's Office apps - Linux

This is a discussion on Microsoft 'kill switch' resurfaces in Albany's Office apps - Linux ; Office applications in Microsoft's recently announced Albany software subscription bundle will collapse into limited functionality if users let their subscriptions expire, Microsoft said Monday. Albany's Office software will be installed locally, but if users let their subscriptions expire, they will ...

  1. Microsoft 'kill switch' resurfaces in Albany's Office apps

    Office applications in Microsoft's recently announced Albany software
    subscription bundle will collapse into limited functionality if users
    let their subscriptions expire, Microsoft said Monday.

    Albany's Office software will be installed locally, but if users let
    their subscriptions expire, they will not be able to create or edit
    documents. In addition, users will not receive updates to the OneCare
    security software.

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ce-apps_1.html

  2. Re: Microsoft 'kill switch' resurfaces in Albany's Office apps

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Wednesday 23 April 2008 15:57 : \____

    > Office applications in Microsoft's recently announced Albany software
    > subscription bundle will collapse into limited functionality if users
    > let their subscriptions expire, Microsoft said Monday.
    >
    > Albany's Office software will be installed locally, but if users let
    > their subscriptions expire, they will not be able to create or edit
    > documents. In addition, users will not receive updates to the OneCare
    > security software.

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/...ce-apps_1.html

    It's actually quite a nice feature...

    Not for the user though. For Microsoft. It's like a bent pistol that shoots you
    right in the toe.

    ....And it can go AWOL, just like WGA. Remember the WGA fiasco (servers going
    down, leaving users locked out)? Microsoft soon scraped it. Look what we had
    just 4-5 days ago:

    Microsoft accidentally delivers Office Genuine nagware

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft is acknowledging that on April 15 it accidentally delivered its new
    | Office Genuine Notifications to users outside of its planned pilot areas of
    | Chile, Italy, Spain and Turkey. Â*
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft officials said earlier this month that the company planned to add
    | the notification mechanism to Office for users in the four aforementioned
    | trial countries — by making it a voluntary Microsoft update — so that it
    | would remind repeatedly those running illegal copies of Office (or those
    | deemed illegal by Microsoft’s Genuine Advantage mechanism) to stop running
    | pirated software. Â* Â*
    `----

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1348

    Microsoft 'Albany' subscription--this must be a hoax

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-992...gativeApproach

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | GPL - Global Programmer's Law