Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows - Linux ; * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo: > Linux Eee PC Far Faster Than Windows Version > > ,----[ Quote ] >| Startup >| Linux: 30 seconds - Windows: 54 seconds >| Launching Firefox >| Linux: 4 seconds - ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

  1. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    > Linux Eee PC Far Faster Than Windows Version
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >| Startup
    >| Linux: 30 seconds - Windows: 54 seconds
    >| Launching Firefox
    >| Linux: 4 seconds - Windows: 16 seconds
    >| Shutdown
    >| Linux: 6 seconds - Windows: 68 seconds
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/0...ndows-version/

    You call that "News"?

    --
    About 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people don't pay
    for the software. Someday they will, though. As long as they are going to

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    ____/ Linonut on Wednesday 23 April 2008 00:21 : \____

    >> Linux Eee PC Far Faster Than Windows Version
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Startup
    >>| Linux: 30 seconds - Windows: 54 seconds
    >>| Launching Firefox
    >>| Linux: 4 seconds - Windows: 16 seconds
    >>| Shutdown
    >>| Linux: 6 seconds - Windows: 68 seconds
    >> `----

    http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/0...ndows-version/

    > You call that "News"?

    Asustek has done some good work even before the Eee on fast bootup times. It
    was contributed back (GPL), which is nice. Bear in mind that some people
    report a bootup time of 5 minutes for Vista (I kid you not, I've seen in
    several times), but it depends on the state of the software.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Quote when replying in non-real-time dialogues"

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Linonut

    wrote
    on Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:21:18 -0400
    :

    >> Linux Eee PC Far Faster Than Windows Version
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>| Startup
    >>| Linux: 30 seconds - Windows: 54 seconds
    >>| Launching Firefox
    >>| Linux: 4 seconds - Windows: 16 seconds
    >>| Shutdown
    >>| Linux: 6 seconds - Windows: 68 seconds
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://www.linuxloop.com/news/2008/0...ndows-version/

    > You call that "News"?

    Microsoft is working hard to get XP on the Eee sometime late this year.
    We'll see how it pans out.

    It is possible that the tested version of XP is a "debug
    edition", which needs to be stripped.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Is it cheaper to learn Linux, or to hire someone
    to fix your Windows problems?

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    In article ,
    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > Microsoft is working hard to get XP on the Eee sometime late this year.
    > We'll see how it pans out.

    Uhm...considering that you can walk into Best Buy right now and buy an
    EEE with XP on it, you might want to consider getting better news
    sources. :-)

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    > In article ,
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> Microsoft is working hard to get XP on the Eee sometime late this year.
    >> We'll see how it pans out.

    > Uhm...considering that you can walk into Best Buy right now and buy an
    > EEE with XP on it, you might want to consider getting better news
    > sources. :-)

    http://gizmodo.com/373820/windows-xp...ng-stays-sweet

    The system that will run the Windows XP OS shall be the standard Eee
    PC 4G, which LaptopMag have been putting through its paces for over a
    month. The machine makes a solid impression overall, however, the
    disk space is a bit limited to run Windows XP and additional
    applications on top. Asus are considering dropping in a 4GB SD card
    to aid in the disk space shortage, but nothing has been confirmed to
    that end.

    http://www.amazon.com/s?keywords=Asu...op&sort=pmrank

    I'd rather save the $50.

    --
    Whether it's Google or Apple or free software, we've got some fantastic
    competitors and it keeps us on our toes.

  6. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:49:08 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > The system that will run the Windows XP OS shall be the standard Eee
    > PC 4G, which LaptopMag have been putting through its paces for over a
    > month. The machine makes a solid impression overall, however, the
    > disk space is a bit limited to run Windows XP and additional
    > applications on top. Asus are considering dropping in a 4GB SD card
    > to aid in the disk space shortage, but nothing has been confirmed to
    > that end.

    Best Buy was blocked from selling the EEE PC until it aquired a MS license
    unless the paid MS additional fees.

    This has been a problem with Best Buy for quite a while, being locked into
    selling MS products, especially when it is well known how bad their
    products are.

    Ruben

    Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  7. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    Quoting Linonut who, on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:49:08 -0400, posted:

    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> Microsoft is working hard to get XP on the Eee sometime late this year.
    >>> We'll see how it pans out.

    >> Uhm...considering that you can walk into Best Buy right now and buy an
    >> EEE with XP on it, you might want to consider getting better news
    >> sources. :-)

    > http://gizmodo.com/373820/windows-xp...ng-stays-sweet
    >
    > The system that will run the Windows XP OS shall be the standard Eee PC
    > 4G, which LaptopMag have been putting through its paces for over a
    > month. The machine makes a solid impression overall, however, the disk
    > space is a bit limited to run Windows XP and additional applications on
    > top. Asus are considering dropping in a 4GB SD card to aid in the disk
    > space shortage, but nothing has been confirmed to that end.
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/s?keywords=Asu...op&sort=pmrank
    >
    > I'd rather save the $50.

    Well here's a "better news source" :-)
    In a current poll conducted in their forums, of the 1,132 Asus Eee sold
    thus far, only 31% are using a windows version. The *vast* majority (i.e.
    68%) have stayed with a Linux distro of one sort or another, & do not
    intend to change platform. Oh, the other 1%? Running OS-X I believe.
    Asus are so pleased at the reaction, they intend to market a larger model
    the '900' which has a larger screen. It will again be running a Linux
    distro of one sort or another.

    Furthermore, there is the ElonexOne also running Linux. Acer, MSI &
    Norhtec have been watching these products with interest, are all
    producing similar prototypes, ALL of which will be running Linux.

    --
    This message was sent from yet
    *another* computer which is guaranteed

  8. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    Ruben wrote:

    >Best Buy was blocked from selling the EEE PC until it aquired a MS license
    >unless the paid MS additional fees.

    Could you re-type that so that your meaning is clear?

    Also, do you have a linki to the news story?

  9. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:49:57 -0500, chrisv wrote:

    > Could you re-type that so that your meaning is clear?
    >
    > Also, do you have a linki to the news story?

    No, but I can post photo's of Bill Gates getting hit with cream pies.

    Ruben

    Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  10. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    ____/ William Poaster on Tuesday 29 April 2008 12:08 : \____

    > Quoting Linonut who, on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:49:08 -0400, posted:
    >
    >> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Uhm...considering that you can walk into Best Buy right now and buy an
    >>> EEE with XP on it, you might want to consider getting better news
    >>> sources. :-)

    http://gizmodo.com/373820/windows-xp...ng-stays-sweet

    >> The system that will run the Windows XP OS shall be the standard Eee PC
    >> 4G, which LaptopMag have been putting through its paces for over a
    >> month. The machine makes a solid impression overall, however, the disk
    >> space is a bit limited to run Windows XP and additional applications on
    >> top. Asus are considering dropping in a 4GB SD card to aid in the disk
    >> space shortage, but nothing has been confirmed to that end.

    http://www.amazon.com/s?keywords=Asu...op&sort=pmrank

    >> I'd rather save the $50.

    > Well here's a "better news source" :-)
    > In a current poll conducted in their forums, of the 1,132 Asus Eee sold
    > thus far, only 31% are using a windows version. The *vast* majority (i.e.
    > 68%) have stayed with a Linux distro of one sort or another, & do not
    > intend to change platform. Oh, the other 1%? Running OS-X I believe.
    > Asus are so pleased at the reaction, they intend to market a larger model
    > the '900' which has a larger screen. It will again be running a Linux
    > distro of one sort or another.
    >
    > Furthermore, there is the ElonexOne also running Linux. Acer, MSI &
    > Norhtec have been watching these products with interest, are all
    > producing similar prototypes, ALL of which will be running Linux.

    There's no proper way to count usage of Linux. Personally, I have never in my
    entire life downloaded or burned a Linux CD. Never. I always borrow a CD from
    a friend or a colleague that has the latest version. It's just so much
    quicker. It complicates all those suppositions that are made and defended by
    the Big Lie (still, about 40% of my site visitors this month use Linux...
    among about 100,000).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Maths applied to numbers is like logic applied to statistics. Statistics are
    lies.

  11. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    Ruben wrote:

    > Best Buy was blocked from selling the EEE PC until it aquired a MS
    > license unless the paid MS additional fees.

    Another lying Linux luser - that can barely form a sentence.

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 14:24:03 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ William Poaster on Tuesday 29 April 2008 12:08 : \____
    >
    >> Quoting Linonut who, on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:49:08 -0400, posted:
    >>
    >>> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > http://gizmodo.com/373820/windows-xp...ng-stays-sweet
    >>>
    >>> The system that will run the Windows XP OS shall be the standard Eee PC
    >>> 4G, which LaptopMag have been putting through its paces for over a
    >>> month. The machine makes a solid impression overall, however, the disk
    >>> space is a bit limited to run Windows XP and additional applications on
    >>> top. Asus are considering dropping in a 4GB SD card to aid in the disk
    >>> space shortage, but nothing has been confirmed to that end.
    >>>

    > http://www.amazon.com/s?keywords=Asu...op&sort=pmrank
    >>>
    >>> I'd rather save the $50.

    >> Well here's a "better news source" :-)
    >> In a current poll conducted in their forums, of the 1,132 Asus Eee sold
    >> thus far, only 31% are using a windows version. The *vast* majority (i.e.
    >> 68%) have stayed with a Linux distro of one sort or another, & do not
    >> intend to change platform. Oh, the other 1%? Running OS-X I believe.
    >> Asus are so pleased at the reaction, they intend to market a larger model
    >> the '900' which has a larger screen. It will again be running a Linux
    >> distro of one sort or another.
    >>
    >> Furthermore, there is the ElonexOne also running Linux. Acer, MSI &
    >> Norhtec have been watching these products with interest, are all
    >> producing similar prototypes, ALL of which will be running Linux.

    > There's no proper way to count usage of Linux.

    I agree, there isn't. But of those which have joined the Eee forum & who
    took part in the poll, it would seem the great majority are Linux users. I
    also understand that the forum isn't frequented by 'geeks' either, so
    these are just ordinary pc users.

    > Personally, I have never in my entire life downloaded or burned a Linux CD.
    > Never. I always borrow a CD from a friend or a colleague that has the
    > latest version. It's just so much quicker. It complicates all those
    > suppositions that are made and defended by the Big Lie (still, about 40%
    > of my site visitors this month use Linux... among about 100,000).

    My main OS is now Mandriva, but I download & burn Linux ISO's from various
    distributions, & run on test drives. They're mostly beta & release
    candidates, so I can test & report any bugs. In that way, I'm helping
    developers produce final releases.

    I often use the magazine DVDs to burn distros like PCLOS & KUbuntu to a
    CD, then pass them on to the local LUG, where they're used in Open Day
    install fests, & can be distributed to anyone asking for a copy.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.
    -- 64bit Mandriva 2008.1 --

  13. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    * William Poaster peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Quoting Linonut who, on Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:49:08 -0400, posted:
    >>
    >> I'd rather save the $50.

    > Well here's a "better news source" :-)
    > In a current poll conducted in their forums, of the 1,132 Asus Eee sold
    > thus far, only 31% are using a windows version. The *vast* majority (i.e.
    > 68%) have stayed with a Linux distro of one sort or another, & do not
    > intend to change platform. Oh, the other 1%? Running OS-X I believe.
    > Asus are so pleased at the reaction, they intend to market a larger model
    > the '900' which has a larger screen. It will again be running a Linux
    > distro of one sort or another.
    >
    > Furthermore, there is the ElonexOne also running Linux. Acer, MSI &
    > Norhtec have been watching these products with interest, are all
    > producing similar prototypes, ALL of which will be running Linux.

    Cool!

    --
    He is divisive. He is manipulative. He is a user. He has taken much from me and
    the industry.

  14. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    On 2008-04-29, DFS wrote:
    > Ruben wrote:
    >
    >> Best Buy was blocked from selling the EEE PC until it aquired a MS
    >> license unless the paid MS additional fees.

    > Another lying Linux luser - that can barely form a sentence.

    While his claim is kind of preposterious it isn't entirely outside
    the realm of possibility. You aren't really adding anything to this by
    adding one unsubstantiated claim with another.

    --
    Negligence will never equal intent, no matter how you
    attempt to distort reality to do so. This is what separates |||

  15. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message
    > On 2008-04-29, DFS wrote:
    >> Ruben wrote:
    >>
    >>> Best Buy was blocked from selling the EEE PC until it aquired a MS
    >>> license unless the paid MS additional fees.

    >> Another lying Linux luser - that can barely form a sentence.

    > While his claim is kind of preposterious it isn't
    > entirely outside the realm of possibility.

    Oh please. It's entirely outside the relam of possiblity. Only an idiot
    would believe anything that the Ruben troll makes up. Take a clue... it's
    the computer manufacturer, the one that actually installs Windows on the
    computer/HDD that needs a Windows license. They're the one installing
    Windows on the laptop. They are the one that needs the license to do so.

    BestBuy isn't making the computer or installing Windows. BestBuy does NOT
    need a license.

    > You aren't really adding anything to this by
    > adding one unsubstantiated claim with another.

    Quit being an idiot and *think* for yourself.

  16. Re: [News] GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    JEDIDIAH wrote:
    > On 2008-04-29, DFS wrote:
    >> Ruben wrote:
    >>
    >>> Best Buy was blocked from selling the EEE PC until it aquired a MS
    >>> license unless the paid MS additional fees.

    >> Another lying Linux luser - that can barely form a sentence.

    > While his claim is kind of preposterious it isn't entirely outside
    > the realm of possibility.

    huh? From what I can infer - Rube writes like an 8th grader - it's an
    absolutely absurd lie that he just concocted out of thin air. In other
    words, par for the cola course.

    Hey Rube, tell us what you were trying to say, and prove Best Buy was
    blocked from selling the EeePC.

  17. Re: GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    On Apr 29, 6:01 pm, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > "JEDIDIAH" wrote in message

    > >> Another lying Linux luser - that can barely form a sentence.

    > > While his claim is kind of preposterious it isn't
    > > entirely outside the realm of possibility.

    > Oh please. It's entirely outside the relam of possiblity. Only an idiot
    > would believe anything that theRubentroll makes up. Take a clue... it's
    > the computer manufacturer, the one that actually installs Windows on the
    > computer/HDD that needs a Windows license. They're the one installing
    > Windows on the laptop. They are the one that needs the license to do so.
    >
    > BestBuy isn't making the computer or installing Windows. BestBuy does NOT
    > need a license.
    >
    > > You aren't really adding anything to this by
    > > adding one unsubstantiated claim with another.

    > Quit being an idiot and *think* for yourself.

    Stop Think Tylenol

    Har Har Har from a nameless anti-semite TROLL!

    > ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

  18. Re: GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    In article
    ,
    mrbrklyn wrote:
    > > BestBuy isn't making the computer or installing Windows. BestBuy does NOT
    > > need a license.

    > Take a Clue. Bestbuy is restricted from selling hardware without a MS
    > license do to the standard MS retailers agreement.

    Best Buy sells Macs. Best Buy sells the Linux version of the Asus EEE.
    There goes you theory.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  19. Re: GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:48:11 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article
    > ,
    > mrbrklyn wrote:
    >> > BestBuy isn't making the computer or installing Windows. BestBuy does NOT
    >> > need a license.

    >> Take a Clue. Bestbuy is restricted from selling hardware without a MS
    >> license do to the standard MS retailers agreement.

    > Best Buy sells Macs. Best Buy sells the Linux version of the Asus EEE.
    > There goes you theory.

    Actually, then the store manager at the Best Buy on the upper east side is
    a lier and it's his theory....

    as a fact. So what can we call you? Should we call you "Bumpercar boy"

    Ruben

    Copyright for the Digital Millennium

  20. Re: GNU/Linux on the Eee Far Faster Than Windows

    In article ,
    Ruben wrote:
    > >> Take a Clue. Bestbuy is restricted from selling hardware without a MS
    > >> license do to the standard MS retailers agreement.

    > > Best Buy sells Macs. Best Buy sells the Linux version of the Asus EEE.
    > > There goes you theory.

    > Actually, then the store manager at the Best Buy on the upper east side is
    > a lier and it's his theory....

    Macs are in stock at the following Best Buy stores in the New York area:

    86th And Lexingtn NY 1280 Lexington Ave, New York, NY 10028-2109
    62nd And Broadway NY 1880 Broadway, New York, NY 10023-7500
    Midtown Manhattan NY 529 5th Ave, New York, NY 10017-4608
    Chelsea NY 60 W 23rd St, New York, NY 10010-5201
    Long Island City NY 5001 Northern Blvd, Long Island City, NY 11101-1003
    Noho Manhattan NY 622 Broadway, New York, NY 10012

    Not being interested in the minutia of New York geography, I don't know
    if any of those stores are the one on the "upper east side".

    The Linux EEE is available online from bestbuy.com. The Pearl White
    model is in stock. The Blush Pink is currently sold out.

    --
    --Tim Smith

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast