[News] PCs with GNU/Linux $150 Than with Windows or OS X - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] PCs with GNU/Linux $150 Than with Windows or OS X - Linux ; Mac Clone Maker Psystar Starts Shipping Computers ,----[ Quote ] | Ubuntu is free. Vista or XP costs an extra $150, while Leopard costs an | additional $155, according to Psystar's Web site. `---- http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=207401062 It's not just a question ...

  1. [News] PCs with GNU/Linux $150 Than with Windows or OS X

    Mac Clone Maker Psystar Starts Shipping Computers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ubuntu is free. Vista or XP costs an extra $150, while Leopard costs an
    | additional $155, according to Psystar's Web site.
    `----

    It's not just a question of price though. Ubuntu also comes with more software,
    which is Free (libre).

    Recent:

    Linux faithful see ray of light shining on client OS

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | “There is a huge market of people who can start out with Linux [and you don’t
    | have to try] to get them to switch from Windows,” says John Hull, manager of
    | the Linux engineering team at Dell. “And a lot of the opportunity is going to
    | be in developing markets.”
    `----

    http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/041008-linux.html

    Related:

    Vista Aiding Linux Desktop, Strategist Says *

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | For example, a number of companies have moved back to Windows XP after
    | deploying Vista, Crawford said, before quoting Scott Granneman, an author, *
    | entrepreneur and adjunct professor at Washington University in St. Louis, as
    | saying, "To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your
    | Windows box, you just have to work on it." *
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759...129TX1K0000616

  2. Re: [News] PCs with GNU/Linux $150 Than with Windows or OS X

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    Hi Roy,
    I had to read your Subject line 3 or 4 times. Didn't you leave out a "less"
    following $150? I couldn't image why a computer with Gnu/Linux would cost
    $150 more than one with Windows.
    Cheers,
    Attila

  3. Re: [News] PCs with GNU/Linux $150 Less Than with Windows or OS X

    ____/ Attila on Wednesday 23 April 2008 18:28 : \____

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >

    > Hi Roy,
    > I had to read your Subject line 3 or 4 times. Didn't you leave out a "less"
    > following $150? I couldn't image why a computer with Gnu/Linux would cost
    > $150 more than one with Windows.
    > Cheers,
    > Attila

    Oops. That's a typo/slip. I write the subject lines quickly. Corrected now. :-)

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Kernel panic - more exciting than being /.'ted
    Mem: 515500k total, 445224k used, 70276k free, 1784k buffers