Re: [News] [Rival] The MSBBC on the 'Windows Ecosystem' (Cybercrime,320 Million Zombie PCs) - Linux

This is a discussion on Re: [News] [Rival] The MSBBC on the 'Windows Ecosystem' (Cybercrime,320 Million Zombie PCs) - Linux ; * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo: > In article , > Linonut wrote: >> > >> > Then why are the developers of Evolution too lazy to check the return value? >> > >> > e-util/e-error.c >> > ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 22 of 22

  1. Re: [News] [Rival] The MSBBC on the 'Windows Ecosystem' (Cybercrime, 320 Million Zombie PCs)

    > In article ,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Then why are the developers of Evolution too lazy to check the return value?
    >> >
    >> > e-util/e-error.c
    >> >
    >> > *** Return value NOT checked ***
    >> > domain = alloca(strlen(tag)+1);
    >> > strcpy(domain, tag);
    >> >
    >> > mail/e-searching-tokenizer.c
    >> > char *t = alloca(strlen(tag)+1), c, *out;
    >> >
    >> > char *p = alloca(d*2+1);
    >> > tags = alloca(20+strlen(col));
    >> > tage = alloca(20);
    >> >
    >> > mail/em-account-editor.c
    >> >
    >> > template = alloca(len + 14);
    >> >
    >> > mail/em-format-html-display.c
    >> >
    >> > str = alloca(strlen(fmt)+32);
    >> >
    >> > mail/em-format.c
    >> >
    >> > mime = alloca(len+2);

    >> Dumbass, why don't you just read ALLOCA(3)?
    >>
    >> RETURN VALUE
    >> The alloca() function returns a pointer to the beginning of
    >> the allocated space. If the allocation causes stack
    >> overflow, program behavior is undefined.
    >>
    >> Idiot.

    > Last time I checked, Evolution runs on a variety of Unix and Unix-like
    > systems, and I've even seen talk of a Windows version. Not all alloca
    > implementations behave the same:
    >
    > RETURN VALUES
    > The alloca() function returns a pointer to the beginning of the
    > allocated space. If the allocation failed, a NULL pointer is
    > returned.

    Out-of-date information, apparently.

    Look, checking for NULL doesn't hurt. However, if you're using the GNU
    implementation, it won't do you a lot of good.

    As for the other implementations of UNIX, who knows? All contrary
    examples presented so far are dated 1993, BSD 4, I think.

    In any case, Zeke was trying to make needless fun of not checking the
    return value of alloca().

    I'm trying to deflate him, you're trying to pump him up.

    --
    Gates is the ultimate programming machine. He believes everything can be
    defined, examined, reduced to essentials, and rearranged into a logical

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] The MSBBC on the 'Windows Ecosystem' (Cybercrime,320 Million Zombie PCs)

    Linonut wrote:
    > * Phil Da Lick! peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> e-util/e-error.c
    >>>
    >>> *** Return value NOT checked ***
    >>> domain = alloca(strlen(tag)+1);
    >>> strcpy(domain, tag);

    >> argggh! unclean!

    > You got tooled by that stump-jumping furrow-walkin' micro-cephalic Zeke
    > character.
    >
    > man alloca

    D'oh!

+ Reply to Thread