Economic slowdown could boost open source

,----[ Quote ]
| The economic slowdown in the US could boost demand for open source technology
| and services, analyst firm IDC has claimed.
|
| A recent survey by the company found that 60pc of American firms polled
| increased the percentage of their annual IT budget spent on open source
| technology in 2007.
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/...id=single10802

Wired Asks the Wrong Question about Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "Where are all the open source billionaires?" Wired asks in its March issue.
| Wrong question. The right question is "Who will become billionaires because
| of open source?"
`----

http://advice.cio.com/bernard_golden...ut_open_source

More FOSS from Wired:

Piwik Offers an Open-Source Web Analytics Package

,----[ Quote ]
| Its plugin-based architecture makes it flexible for all sorts of uses; and it
| makes the analytic data easily available in a variety of formats: XML, JSON,
| serialized PHP. The data can also be gotten at in the form of embeddable
| widgets and iframes.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/20...offers-an.html

Yesterday:

Piper Jaffray Starts Red Hat (RHT) at Buy

,----[ Quote ]
| Piper Jaffray initiates coverage on Red Hat (NYSE: RHT) with a Buy rating and
| $26 price target, saying the company should benefit from global adoption of
| open source technologies. *
`----

http://www.streetinsider.com/New+Cov...y/3562655.html

Recent:

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| It is flattering to be mentioned, Mr. Whitehurst said, but he noted that
| corporate customers and the industry benefit from what he called Red
| Hat’s “Switzerland status” — not being a province of one of the major powers
| in the technology industry. *
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...on-at-red-hat/

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...all-time-high/

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Just when you thought venture interest in open source was quieting down,
| along comes the biggest quarter in open source's (still young) history:
| $203.75 million raised, as reported by The 451 Group. This trumped the
| previous record of $193.6 million from Q4 2006. * *
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-990...&subj=NewsBlog

Economic downturn = Financial upturn for GroundWork and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a great time to be in open source. When I see people straining to sell
| and buy homes, I can smell the recession. But when I go to work selling
| open-source solutions, I can taste prosperity. A downturn separates the wheat
| from the chaff. Here's hoping for even more open-source "wheat." *
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-990...bj=TheOpenRoad

Schmidt: Google 'well-positioned' for a recession

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, the world's leading Internet search engine, said Tuesday it can
| weather any economic downturn because its advertisers are broad-based.
|
| Chief Executive Eric Schmidt acknowledged that a shortage of credit in
| financial markets is a "very serious issue" and that many people are
| expecting a global economic slowdown. *
|
| "It's too early to say if there's (already) been any specific impact. But if
| there were, I don't think it would be much," Schmidt told reporters at a
| briefing during a visit to Sydney, Australia. *
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6234685.html

Sun: Economic slowdown favors open source

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2038598,00.htm