Piper Jaffray Starts Red Hat (RHT) at Buy

,----[ Quote ]
| Piper Jaffray initiates coverage on Red Hat (NYSE: RHT) with a Buy rating and
| $26 price target, saying the company should benefit from global adoption of
| open source technologies.
`----

http://www.streetinsider.com/New+Cov...y/3562655.html

Also some new success stories:

Behr Migrates Its Corporate Web Site to JBoss Solutions

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Behr utilizes JBoss Enterprise Application Platform and Red Hat
| Enterprise Linux throughout its Web infrastructure, composed of five
| application servers, three web servers and two database servers in its
| virtualized cluster of production Sun machines. An identical environment is
| maintained for QA cycles.
`----

http://www.centredaily.com/business/...ry/537689.html

Recent:

No Recession at Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| It is flattering to be mentioned, Mr. Whitehurst said, but he noted that
| corporate customers and the industry benefit from what he called Red
| Hat’s “Switzerland status” — not being a province of one of the major powers
| in the technology industry.
`----

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...on-at-red-hat/

VC funding for open source hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Incidentally, total funding to date stands at $2.64bn.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...all-time-high/

Open-source venture investing hits an all-time high

,----[ Quote ]
| Just when you thought venture interest in open source was quieting down,
| along comes the biggest quarter in open source's (still young) history:
| $203.75 million raised, as reported by The 451 Group. This trumped the
| previous record of $193.6 million from Q4 2006. * *
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-990...&subj=NewsBlog

Economic downturn = Financial upturn for GroundWork and open source

,----[ Quote ]
| It's a great time to be in open source. When I see people straining to sell
| and buy homes, I can smell the recession. But when I go to work selling
| open-source solutions, I can taste prosperity. A downturn separates the wheat
| from the chaff. Here's hoping for even more open-source "wheat." *
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-990...bj=TheOpenRoad

Schmidt: Google 'well-positioned' for a recession

,----[ Quote ]
| Google, the world's leading Internet search engine, said Tuesday it can
| weather any economic downturn because its advertisers are broad-based.
|
| Chief Executive Eric Schmidt acknowledged that a shortage of credit in
| financial markets is a "very serious issue" and that many people are
| expecting a global economic slowdown. *
|
| "It's too early to say if there's (already) been any specific impact. But if
| there were, I don't think it would be much," Schmidt told reporters at a
| briefing during a visit to Sydney, Australia. *
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6234685.html

Sun: Economic slowdown favors open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking to ZDNetAsia in an exclusive interview, he said the economic
| slowdown in the United States will favor open source companies. "During an
| economic slowdown, not everything slows down [and] IT projects will continue
| to be undertaken. But IT budgets will be reduced," he said, noting that
| companies will then turn to lower cost software options such as open source. * *
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...2038598,00.htm

Software Firms Face Recession Ripple Effect

,----[ Quote ]
| If the economic downturn hits the information technology sector, investors in
| business software companies are probably safe for one more quarter of
| earnings reports. *
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/news...FREE&cm_ite=NA
http://tinyurl.com/35tfgn

Forrester cuts tech outlook on U.S. recession risk

,----[ Quote ]
| Technology research firm Forrester Research Inc cut its forecast for 2008
| global technology purchasing growth by a third on Sunday, citing the risks of
| a U.S. recession *
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080211?rpc=44

Forrester, IDC cut tech outlook on US recession risk

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0080211?rpc=44

Recession fears could end bull market

,----[ Quote ]
`----