$549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12 - Linux

This is a discussion on $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12 - Linux ; 'But there are differences. Users who purchase an Eee PC 900 with Linux will receive a laptop that boasts 20GB of flash memory-based storage space. However, customers who opt for Windows XP will end up with a machine equipped with ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

  1. $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    'But there are differences. Users who purchase an Eee PC 900 with Linux
    will receive a laptop that boasts 20GB of flash memory-based storage
    space. However, customers who opt for Windows XP will end up with a
    machine equipped with only 12GB of solid-state storage.

    "Cost would be one of the reasons, but not the main one," Ho said in an e-
    mail. He then proceeded to trumpet the Linux-based system.'

    Interesting. I guess the cost of the XP license, and the lack of pre-
    installed crudware have taken a toll on the machine's cost.

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9079078

    > $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12
    > But not all models are created equal
    > By Gregg Keizer

    > April 19, 2008 (Computerworld) Asustek Computer Inc. on Friday confirmed that it will launch the Eee PC 900 in the U.S. on May 12 and that it will set $549 as the list price for the new ultralight notebook.

  3. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    ____/ Rick on Tuesday 22 April 2008 01:21 : \____

    > 'But there are differences. Users who purchase an Eee PC 900 with Linux
    > will receive a laptop that boasts 20GB of flash memory-based storage
    > space. However, customers who opt for Windows XP will end up with a
    > machine equipped with only 12GB of solid-state storage.
    >
    > "Cost would be one of the reasons, but not the main one," Ho said in an e-
    > mail. He then proceeded to trumpet the Linux-based system.'
    >

    > Interesting. I guess the cost of the XP license, and the lack of pre-
    > installed crudware have taken a toll on the machine's cost.

    Linux comes with more applications as well. XP in this form is quite the dud
    and Microsoft gave considerable discounts to Asustek, which brings to mind the
    following:

    Microsoft's SEC:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
    | To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
    | of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
    | our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline. *
    `----

    http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread

  4. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    In article ,
    Rick wrote:
    > 'But there are differences. Users who purchase an Eee PC 900 with Linux
    > will receive a laptop that boasts 20GB of flash memory-based storage
    > space. However, customers who opt for Windows XP will end up with a
    > machine equipped with only 12GB of solid-state storage.
    >
    > "Cost would be one of the reasons, but not the main one," Ho said in an e-
    > mail. He then proceeded to trumpet the Linux-based system.'
    >

    > Interesting. I guess the cost of the XP license, and the lack of pre-
    > installed crudware have taken a toll on the machine's cost.

    Of course, if the Windows version were 20 GB and the Linux version 12
    GB, you'd be saying this is proof Windows is bloated and needs more
    space...

    --
    --Tim Smith

  5. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    > In article ,
    > Rick wrote:
    >> 'But there are differences. Users who purchase an Eee PC 900 with Linux
    >> will receive a laptop that boasts 20GB of flash memory-based storage
    >> space. However, customers who opt for Windows XP will end up with a
    >> machine equipped with only 12GB of solid-state storage.
    >>
    >> "Cost would be one of the reasons, but not the main one," Ho said in an e-
    >> mail. He then proceeded to trumpet the Linux-based system.'
    >>

    >> Interesting. I guess the cost of the XP license, and the lack of pre-
    >> installed crudware have taken a toll on the machine's cost.

    > Of course, if the Windows version were 20 GB and the Linux version 12
    > GB, you'd be saying this is proof Windows is bloated and needs more
    > space...

    Windows would be bloated and need more space. You think Windows ships
    with a lot of apps?

    --
    If you think your teacher is tough, wait until you get a boss. He doesn't
    have tenure.

  6. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:15:49 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Rick wrote:
    >> 'But there are differences. Users who purchase an Eee PC 900 with Linux
    >> will receive a laptop that boasts 20GB of flash memory-based storage
    >> space. However, customers who opt for Windows XP will end up with a
    >> machine equipped with only 12GB of solid-state storage.
    >>
    >> "Cost would be one of the reasons, but not the main one," Ho said in an e-
    >> mail. He then proceeded to trumpet the Linux-based system.'
    >>

    >> Interesting. I guess the cost of the XP license, and the lack of pre-
    >> installed crudware have taken a toll on the machine's cost.

    > Of course, if the Windows version were 20 GB and the Linux version 12
    > GB, you'd be saying this is proof Windows is bloated and needs more
    > space...

    Exactly....

    It doesn't matter either way because people are buying the Linux machine,
    dumping Linux and installing Windows on it.
    The web is teeming with sites describing the procedure.

    It was like back in the 90's when people would buy a Mustang LX, load in a
    V8 motor, upgrade the suspension and bingo instant Mustang GT without the
    cost and without the higher insurance costs.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  7. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    news:12ohd3fxyhtf8$.5qnq9ud7qo7s$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:15:49 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>> 'But there are differences. Users who purchase an Eee PC 900 with
    >>> Linux
    >>> will receive a laptop that boasts 20GB of flash memory-based storage
    >>> space. However, customers who opt for Windows XP will end up with a
    >>> machine equipped with only 12GB of solid-state storage.
    >>>
    >>> "Cost would be one of the reasons, but not the main one," Ho said in
    >>> an e-
    >>> mail. He then proceeded to trumpet the Linux-based system.'
    >>>

    >>> Interesting. I guess the cost of the XP license, and the lack of
    >>> pre-
    >>> installed crudware have taken a toll on the machine's cost.

    >> Of course, if the Windows version were 20 GB and the Linux version 12
    >> GB, you'd be saying this is proof Windows is bloated and needs more
    >> space...

    > Exactly....
    >
    > It doesn't matter either way because people are buying the Linux
    > machine,
    > dumping Linux and installing Windows on it.
    > The web is teeming with sites describing the procedure.
    >
    > It was like back in the 90's when people would buy a Mustang LX, load
    > in a
    > V8 motor, upgrade the suspension and bingo instant Mustang GT without
    > the
    > cost and without the higher insurance costs.
    >

    > --
    > Moshe Goldfarb
    > http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

    I've been thinking about the useful life of these small Asus
    machines with their soldered-in flash memory. I think you
    only have to adapt to that detail, and get slightly better
    reliability in return. Because, with these machines, you
    can work entirely from a plug-in flash; you can even have
    an external os if you want. So the internal flash seems
    largely needed only as a backup: little if any writing to
    it. Since I incline to ascii text for most of my serious
    work, I don't need all that much space, anyway.

    Looks like time for me to purchase another Asus 701. The
    new machines are physically larger as well as higher priced.

    Uh, oh yes, that Goldfarb fellow, Moshe Goldfarb. That man
    goes negative with a remarkable persistence; he's an ideal
    Windows lover, I mean, loser, I mean, user. What a pain. I
    have added him to my killfile: probably his message here is
    the last one I'll see. (Good!)

    Titeotwawki -- mha [cola 2008 Apr 22]

  8. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:15:49 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Rick wrote:
    >> 'But there are differences. Users who purchase an Eee PC 900 with Linux
    >> will receive a laptop that boasts 20GB of flash memory-based storage
    >> space. However, customers who opt for Windows XP will end up with a
    >> machine equipped with only 12GB of solid-state storage.
    >>
    >> "Cost would be one of the reasons, but not the main one," Ho said in an
    >> e- mail. He then proceeded to trumpet the Linux-based system.'
    >>

    >> Interesting. I guess the cost of the XP license, and the lack of pre-
    >> installed crudware have taken a toll on the machine's cost.

    > Of course, if the Windows version were 20 GB and the Linux version 12
    > GB, you'd be saying this is proof Windows is bloated and needs more
    > space...

    How about.. since they aren't paying for the Windows license, they can
    put in more flash... or was that to complex for you?
    --
    Rick

  9. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:26:33 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:15:49 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>> 'But there are differences. Users who purchase an Eee PC 900 with
    >>> Linux will receive a laptop that boasts 20GB of flash memory-based
    >>> storage space. However, customers who opt for Windows XP will end up
    >>> with a machine equipped with only 12GB of solid-state storage.
    >>>
    >>> "Cost would be one of the reasons, but not the main one," Ho said in
    >>> an e- mail. He then proceeded to trumpet the Linux-based system.'
    >>>

    >>> Interesting. I guess the cost of the XP license, and the lack of pre-
    >>> installed crudware have taken a toll on the machine's cost.

    >> Of course, if the Windows version were 20 GB and the Linux version 12
    >> GB, you'd be saying this is proof Windows is bloated and needs more
    >> space...

    > Exactly....
    >
    > It doesn't matter either way because people are buying the Linux
    > machine, dumping Linux and installing Windows on it. The web is teeming
    > with sites describing the procedure.

    People are buying WIndows machines, dumping it, and installing Linux
    machines. The Web is teeming with sites describing the procedure.

    > It was like back in the 90's when people would buy a Mustang LX, load in
    > a V8 motor, upgrade the suspension and bingo instant Mustang GT without
    > the cost and without the higher insurance costs.

    So what if people are buying it and putting on Windows? There are tons of
    Windows users out there, and the Eee is inexpensive. There are also
    people buying the Linux model.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: Tim Smith does a mind reading act ..

    on 22/04/08 06:15 Tim Smith wrote:

    > Of course, if the Windows version were 20 GB and the Linux version 12 GB, you'd be saying this is proof Windows is bloated and needs more space...

  11. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    * Martha Adams peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > news:12ohd3fxyhtf8$.5qnq9ud7qo7s$.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    >
    >> It doesn't matter either way because people are buying the Linux
    >> machine, dumping Linux and installing Windows on it. The web is
    >> teeming with sites describing the procedure.

    Google:

    Results 1 - 10 of about 44,300 for "installing windows on asus Eee pc"

    Results 1 - 10 of about 766,000 for "installing linux on asus Eee pc".

    (Google has to remove the quotes from each search becuase it finds no
    exact matches for either query.)

    > Since I incline to ascii text for most of my serious
    > work...

    Ahhh, an intelligent person!

    > Looks like time for me to purchase another Asus 701. The
    > new machines are physically larger as well as higher priced.
    >
    > Uh, oh yes, that Goldfarb fellow, Moshe Goldfarb. That man
    > goes negative with a remarkable persistence; he's an ideal
    > Windows lover, I mean, loser, I mean, user. What a pain. I
    > have added him to my killfile: probably his message here is
    > the last one I'll see. (Good!)

    He knows how to write complete B.S. as if it were 100% true.

    --
    It's fine to celebrate success but it is more important to heed the lessons
    of failure.

  12. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    In article ,
    Linonut wrote:
    > Google:
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 44,300 for "installing windows on asus Eee pc"
    >
    > Results 1 - 10 of about 766,000 for "installing linux on asus Eee pc".

    Considering that the Linux version has been on the market longer, and so
    presumably has sold more than the Windows version at this point, don't
    you find it odd that people would be Google on how to install Linux on
    it?

    Also, it should be noted that the manual for the Linux version includes
    a chapter on how to install Windows, so presumably someone with the
    Linux version would not need to go to Google to figure out how to
    install Windows.

    --
    --Tim Smith

  13. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    "Matt" wrote in message
    > http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9079078
    >
    >> $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12
    >> But not all models are created equal
    >> By Gregg Keizer

    >> April 19, 2008 (Computerworld) Asustek Computer Inc. on Friday confirmed
    >> that it will launch the Eee PC 900 in the U.S. on May 12 and that it will
    >> set $549 as the list price for the new ultralight notebook.

    So how is this better for you than the $499 Dell Inspiron laptop?

  14. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    > In article ,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> Google:
    >>
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 44,300 for "installing windows on asus Eee pc"
    >>
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 766,000 for "installing linux on asus Eee pc".

    > Considering that the Linux version has been on the market longer, and so
    > presumably has sold more than the Windows version at this point, don't
    > you find it odd that people would be Google on how to install Linux on
    > it?

    It doesn't matter, at all. Moshe mentions the web "teeming" with
    information on installing Windows on the Asus Eee PC.

    It seems more teeming with information on installing /other/ versions
    of Linux.

    Kind of like Martha was interested in doing.

    Obviously one would have to check out a number of links to see what kind
    of crap was matching the search.

    However, as a smack-down of Moshe's bull****, this will do.

    > Also, it should be noted that the manual for the Linux version includes
    > a chapter on how to install Windows, so presumably someone with the
    > Linux version would not need to go to Google to figure out how to
    > install Windows.

    Cool. Then explain why Moshe claimed the web was "teeming" with links
    on how to do just that.

    --
    I have to say that in 1981, making those decisions, I felt like I was
    providing enough freedom for 10 years. That is, a move from 64k to 640k felt

  15. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:31:41 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    > In article ,
    > Linonut wrote:
    >> Google:
    >>
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 44,300 for "installing windows on asus Eee
    >> pc"
    >>
    >> Results 1 - 10 of about 766,000 for "installing linux on asus Eee
    >> pc".

    > Considering that the Linux version has been on the market longer, and so
    > presumably has sold more than the Windows version at this point, don't
    > you find it odd that people would be Google on how to install Linux on
    > it?
    >
    > Also, it should be noted that the manual for the Linux version includes
    > a chapter on how to install Windows, so presumably someone with the
    > Linux version would not need to go to Google to figure out how to
    > install Windows.

    A very short list from Google on installing "Linux" on the Eee:

    <http://www.hackszine.com/blog/archive/2007/11/
    howto_install_ubuntu_on_the_as.html>

    <http://www.sampletheweb.com/2007/12/...eee-pc-part-1-
    or-how-to-run-a-functional-ubuntu-install-off-a-usb-drive/>

    <http://www.ilearneditonline.com/2008...-mint-on-asus-
    eeepc-with-usb/>

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    "Rick" stated in post
    B-OdnRzSqYAxhZPVnZ2dnUVZ_uydnZ2d@supernews.com on 4/22/08 9:56 AM:

    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:26:33 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 22:15:49 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:

    >>> Of course, if the Windows version were 20 GB and the Linux version 12
    >>> GB, you'd be saying this is proof Windows is bloated and needs more
    >>> space...

    >> Exactly....
    >>
    >> It doesn't matter either way because people are buying the Linux
    >> machine, dumping Linux and installing Windows on it. The web is teeming
    >> with sites describing the procedure.

    > People are buying WIndows machines, dumping it, and installing Linux
    > machines. The Web is teeming with sites describing the procedure.

    Rick 1:
    Millions have formatted a disk and installed Linux without problems.
    Rick 2:
    The fact is, very few people know about it [Linux].
    Rick 3:
    People are buying WIndows machines, dumping it, and installing
    Linux machines. The Web is teeming with sites describing the
    procedure.

    Will the real Rick please stand up!

    --
    The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    --Albert Einstein

  17. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    "Rick" stated in post
    4ZWdncQofaxn75PVnZ2dnUVZ_tfinZ2d@supernews.com on 4/22/08 4:21 PM:

    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 11:31:41 -0700, Tim Smith wrote:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> Google:
    >>>
    >>> Results 1 - 10 of about 44,300 for "installing windows on asus Eee
    >>> pc"
    >>>
    >>> Results 1 - 10 of about 766,000 for "installing linux on asus Eee
    >>> pc".

    >> Considering that the Linux version has been on the market longer, and so
    >> presumably has sold more than the Windows version at this point, don't
    >> you find it odd that people would be Google on how to install Linux on
    >> it?
    >>
    >> Also, it should be noted that the manual for the Linux version includes
    >> a chapter on how to install Windows, so presumably someone with the
    >> Linux version would not need to go to Google to figure out how to
    >> install Windows.

    > A very short list from Google on installing "Linux" on the Eee:
    >

    > <http://www.hackszine.com/blog/archive/2007/11/
    > howto_install_ubuntu_on_the_as.html>
    >
    > <http://www.sampletheweb.com/2007/12/...eee-pc-part-1-
    > or-how-to-run-a-functional-ubuntu-install-off-a-usb-drive/>
    >

    > <http://www.ilearneditonline.com/2008...-mint-on-asus-
    > eeepc-with-usb/>

    Rick 1:
    Millions have formatted a disk and installed Linux without problems.
    Rick 2:
    The fact is, very few people know about it [Linux].
    Rick 3:
    People are buying WIndows machines, dumping it, and installing
    Linux machines. The Web is teeming with sites describing the
    procedure.

    Will the real Rick please stand up!

    --
    "In order to discover who you are, first learn who everybody else is. You're
    what's left." - Skip Hansen

  18. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    On 2008-04-22 14:35:02 -0400, "amicus_curious" said:

    > "Matt" wrote in message
    >> http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9079078

    $549

    >>> Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12
    >>> But not all models are created equal
    >>> By Gregg Keizer

    >>> April 19, 2008 (Computerworld) Asustek Computer Inc. on Friday
    >>> confirmed that it will launch the Eee PC 900 in the U.S. on May 12 and
    >>> that it will set $549 as the list price for the new ultralight notebook.

    > So how is this better for you than the $499 Dell Inspiron laptop?

    It doesn't come with Winblows.

  19. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:03:16 -0400, Linonut wrote:

    > * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> In article ,
    >> Linonut wrote:
    >>> Google:
    >>>
    >>> Results 1 - 10 of about 44,300 for "installing windows on asus Eee pc"
    >>>
    >>> Results 1 - 10 of about 766,000 for "installing linux on asus Eee pc".

    >> Considering that the Linux version has been on the market longer, and so
    >> presumably has sold more than the Windows version at this point, don't
    >> you find it odd that people would be Google on how to install Linux on
    >> it?

    > It doesn't matter, at all. Moshe mentions the web "teeming" with
    > information on installing Windows on the Asus Eee PC.
    >
    > It seems more teeming with information on installing /other/ versions
    > of Linux.
    >
    > Kind of like Martha was interested in doing.
    >
    > Obviously one would have to check out a number of links to see what kind
    > of crap was matching the search.
    >
    > However, as a smack-down of Moshe's bull****, this will do.
    >
    >> Also, it should be noted that the manual for the Linux version includes
    >> a chapter on how to install Windows, so presumably someone with the
    >> Linux version would not need to go to Google to figure out how to
    >> install Windows.

    > Cool. Then explain why Moshe claimed the web was "teeming" with links
    > on how to do just that.

    Hahha..

    More pick and choose from the Linux loons.
    So now all of a sudden google searches with x+y -z are ok because they
    support your opinion.

    Face it, from the second the box was released the sites on how to dump
    Linux and install Windows appeared.

    Even one of the early reviewers dumped Linux for Windows.

    Asus is releasing a Windows version.

    Why so much interest in Windows if the Linux version is so great?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  20. Re: $549 Eee PC 900 to hit U.S. May 12

    On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 23:03:18 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 19:03:16 -0400, Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> * Tim Smith peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >>> Considering that the Linux version has been on the market longer, and
    >>> so presumably has sold more than the Windows version at this point,
    >>> don't you find it odd that people would be Google on how to install
    >>> Linux on it?

    >> It doesn't matter, at all. Moshe mentions the web "teeming" with
    >> information on installing Windows on the Asus Eee PC.
    >>
    >> It seems more teeming with information on installing /other/ versions
    >> of Linux.
    >>
    >> Kind of like Martha was interested in doing.
    >>
    >> Obviously one would have to check out a number of links to see what
    >> kind of crap was matching the search.
    >>
    >> However, as a smack-down of Moshe's bull****, this will do.
    >>
    >>> Also, it should be noted that the manual for the Linux version
    >>> includes a chapter on how to install Windows, so presumably someone
    >>> with the Linux version would not need to go to Google to figure out
    >>> how to install Windows.

    >> Cool. Then explain why Moshe claimed the web was "teeming" with links
    >> on how to do just that.

    > Hahha..
    >
    > More pick and choose from the Linux loons. So now all of a sudden google
    > searches with x+y -z are ok because they support your opinion.
    >
    > Face it, from the second the box was released the sites on how to dump
    > Linux and install Windows appeared.
    >
    > Even one of the early reviewers dumped Linux for Windows.

    So what? People put Linux on PPC Mac. They put it on Intel Macs. They put
    it on game consoles. They put it on every brand of PC.

    > Asus is releasing a Windows version.

    And Dell is releasing machines will Linus on them.

    > Why so much interest in Windows if the Linux version is so great?

    Herd mentality, inertia, network effects.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast