MS re-energizes embedded partner ecosystem .. - Linux

This is a discussion on MS re-energizes embedded partner ecosystem .. - Linux ; "Microsoft is renaming its existing embedded Windows operating systems .. Windows XP Embedded will become Windows Embedded Standard, Windows Embedded CE will be renamed Windows Embedded Compact Windows Embedded for Point of Service .. will become Windows Embedded POSReady" "Windows ...

  1. MS re-energizes embedded partner ecosystem ..

    "Microsoft is renaming its existing embedded Windows operating systems ..

    Windows XP Embedded will become Windows Embedded Standard,

    Windows Embedded CE will be renamed Windows Embedded Compact

    Windows Embedded for Point of Service .. will become Windows Embedded
    POSReady"

    "Windows Embedded solutions for key device categories will energize our
    partner ecosystem by enabling new business scenarios and help lay the
    foundation for partners to successfully fulfill our vision of a new
    generation of smart, connected, service-oriented devices."

    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Is...ems-62620.html

    --

    fuddie: are you thinking what I'm thinking ..

  2. Re: MS re-energizes embedded partner ecosystem ..

    ____/ Doug Mentohl on Monday 21 April 2008 20:48 : \____

    > "Microsoft is renaming its existing embedded Windows operating systems ..
    >
    > Windows XP Embedded will become Windows Embedded Standard,
    >
    > Windows Embedded CE will be renamed Windows Embedded Compact
    >
    > Windows Embedded for Point of Service .. will become Windows Embedded
    > POSReady"
    >
    > "Windows Embedded solutions for key device categories will energize our
    > partner ecosystem by enabling new business scenarios and help lay the
    > foundation for partners to successfully fulfill our vision of a new
    > generation of smart, connected, service-oriented devices."

    http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/Is...ems-62620.html

    Linux should be scared. Microsoft..... has just changed names! Wow!!

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If I ask you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? Â*

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Microsoft Worried Over Linux Dominance In Embedded Space

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Renames its family of products to target the embedded market.
    `----

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/26010/news.htm

    Who's afraid of embedded Linux? Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...Microsoft is fighting a losing battle here. It's like gravity.
    | Eventually you just stop fighting and learn to accept it. Even Microsoft.
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-991...bj=TheOpenRoad

    Linux to grow 278% in embedded/mobile/real-time apps

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux use in "next" embedded, mobile, and real-time projects will grow 278
    | percent over that in "previous" projects, suggests a recent survey by Venture
    | Development Corp. (VDC). Â*
    `----

    Microsoft got desperate.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | FreeBSD - sidling with a little devil
    Tasks: 113 total, 1 running, 112 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  3. Re: MS re-energizes embedded partner ecosystem ..

    > Windows Embedded CE will be renamed Windows Embedded Compact

    See "The Spectacular Failure of WinCE and Windows Mobile"

    WinCE wasn't Microsoft's first attempt at delivering software to power
    a PDA or pen computing device; once it arrived, it needed to change
    marketing names rapidly in order to escape embarrassment.

    Is this another attempt to avoid embarrassment? More:

    WinCE: Hasta la Vista
    WinCE has followed the pattern of problems common to Microsoft’s other
    products. WinCE 5 was announced in early 2003, and intended for
    delivery next to Longhorn [Vista] in mid to late 2004. It promised to
    deliver “a new level of security and robustness,” as every Microsoft
    product does....

    After a decade of trying, WinCE has done little to push the state of
    the art, and nothing to enrich Microsoft. The company reports having
    lost over half a billion dollars from its Mobile and Embedded Devices
    segment over the last four years, which includes sales of both WinCE
    and Embedded Windows.

    In 2006, the segment brought in 2 million in profit (partly from
    pushing some of its losses into the MSN group), but Microsoft
    apparently isn’t impressed. It has announced that for 2007, it will
    start reporting WinCE devices as part of its Entertainment and Devices
    group, rather than breaking each out separately, as they are above.

    That new combined segment, which folds in the failure of the Xbox and
    Zune, lost a total of $607 million in 2005 and a staggering $1.337
    billion in 2006. These losses do not count the $5 - 5.9 billion in
    “corporate level expenses” labeled above as Other.

    Other includes [a bunch of stuff] including being sued by Real,
    Novell, Gateway, and IBM, and fined by the European Commission over
    antitrust violations.

    That means that the staggering losses reported for WinCE--not to
    mention the Xbox and Zune--are not the result of huge amounts of
    technology development or advertising campaigns, but simply because
    nobody wants to buy them, even when offered at loss leader prices. How
    embarrassing!

    Certainly nothing that can't be covered by more name changes,
    especially when your monopoly divisions are bringing in mountains of
    cash!

    http://www.roughlydrafted.com/RD/RDM...5A060AF16.html

  4. Re: MS re-energizes embedded partner ecosystem ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > "Microsoft is renaming its existing embedded Windows operating systems ..
    >
    > Windows XP Embedded will become Windows Embedded Standard,
    >
    > Windows Embedded CE will be renamed Windows Embedded Compact
    >
    > Windows Embedded for Point of Service .. will become Windows Embedded
    > POSReady"
    >
    > "Windows Embedded solutions for key device categories will energize our
    > partner ecosystem by enabling new business scenarios and help lay the
    > foundation for partners to successfully fulfill our vision of a new
    > generation of smart, connected, service-oriented devices."
    >
    > http://www.linuxinsider.com/story

    Is-Microsoft-Feeling-the-Heat-in-Embedded-Systems-62620.html

    Wait till dumbos start using these con job micoshaft products.
    The margins on embedded systems are so tight that licensing
    is gonna choke anyone that tries to sell products with it
    and because of the lack of source
    code, its gonna lead to products being still born and
    vastly over priced.

    Linux is easier with access to all important source
    code and a lot more embedded developer tools to help
    with product debugging.

+ Reply to Thread