Acer: laptop crippled due to Linux limitations - Linux

This is a discussion on Acer: laptop crippled due to Linux limitations - Linux ; "Acer claim, in documentation included with the laptop, that there are four things which do not work due to "limitations of linux". Thems fighting words... The four things are: 1. The acer e button .... what is this supposed to ...

  1. Acer: laptop crippled due to Linux limitations

    "Acer claim, in documentation included with the laptop, that there are four
    things which do not work due to "limitations of linux". Thems fighting
    words...

    The four things are:

    1. The acer e button
    .... what is this supposed to do? Launch Acer's windows only software. That's
    hardly a limitation in linux. Anyway, the button is easily mapped to
    something else.

    2. Wireless button (but wireless works)
    .... not needed. Mapping this to bring up wireless or shut it down is non
    trivial though. The main issue is that Acer have installed an Aetheros wifi
    card with ndiswrapper. I suppose it could be enabled and disabled by loading
    and unloading the driver. However, this is a nice place to toggle the
    touchpad.

    3. Modem
    .... scanModem identifies a connexant HSF modem is a component of the
    soundcard.
    How does one configure these?

    4. Microphone
    .... this remains a curly one. I have enabled all the tabs and maxed all the
    sliders. Using applications > sound and video > sound recorder produces
    nothing."

    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...3/#post3107904

  2. Re: Acer: laptop crippled due to Linux limitations

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 01:15:09 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Acer claim, in documentation included with the laptop, that there are four
    > things which do not work due to "limitations of linux". Thems fighting
    > words...
    >
    > The four things are:
    >
    > 1. The acer e button
    > ... what is this supposed to do? Launch Acer's windows only software. That's
    > hardly a limitation in linux. Anyway, the button is easily mapped to
    > something else.
    >
    > 2. Wireless button (but wireless works)
    > ... not needed. Mapping this to bring up wireless or shut it down is non
    > trivial though. The main issue is that Acer have installed an Aetheros wifi
    > card with ndiswrapper. I suppose it could be enabled and disabled by loading
    > and unloading the driver. However, this is a nice place to toggle the
    > touchpad.
    >
    > 3. Modem
    > ... scanModem identifies a connexant HSF modem is a component of the
    > soundcard.
    > How does one configure these?
    >
    > 4. Microphone
    > ... this remains a curly one. I have enabled all the tabs and maxed all the
    > sliders. Using applications > sound and video > sound recorder produces
    > nothing."
    >
    > http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...3/#post3107904

    This is typical for Linux.
    Hey Lenovo sells a Linux laptop where a good portion of the features don't
    work due to Linux!!!

    Could you imagine the look on the consumer's face when she turns this thing
    on and is met with a readme file that gives all the limitations of this
    beast with Linux loaded?

    And this thing comes preloaded with Linux direct from Lenovo!!!!!

    http://www.channelinsider.com/c/a/Re...-of-Questions/

    The first part of the document covered ´features not supported.ˇ Some of
    those features are:

    * ThinkVantage Active Protection System.
    * ThinkVantage Access Connections for SUSE Linux
    * ThinkPad Configuration for SUSE Linux
    * ThinkPad Power Manager for SUSE Linux
    * Wireless WAN Adapter
    * ThinkVantage Button
    * (Intel Graphics System) DVI Output

    From our point of view, Lenovo was not off to a good start.

    Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux!!!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread