[News] New Linux Drivers for X-FI Cards from Creative Labs - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] New Linux Drivers for X-FI Cards from Creative Labs - Linux ; Creative releases a new v1.18 Beta driver for X-FI cards ,----[ Quote ] | Creative has received a lot of comments and rants (a lot of them well earned) | from the Linux community for not supporting their X-FI cards ...

  1. [News] New Linux Drivers for X-FI Cards from Creative Labs

    Creative releases a new v1.18 Beta driver for X-FI cards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Creative has received a lot of comments and rants (a lot of them well earned)
    | from the Linux community for not supporting their X-FI cards on the GNU/Linux
    | platform. Earlier, in august 2007, they did a release of a Beta driver, that
    | seemed to leave a lot to wish for, even being a Beta driver. It was only
    | released for 64 bit systems, and didn't work for a lot of users. You want
    | proof? Just check the forums at Creative.
    `----

    http://peterazp.blogspot.com/2008/04...ta-driver.html

    Yesterday:

    Creative Tries Again At Linux Drivers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Months went by after that release with no signs of another beta, but back in
    | February of this year, 4Front Technologies had announced an update to the
    | Open Sound System (OSS) with initial support for the X-Fi series. Unlike
    | support for some of the other sound cards on the market, the X-Fi support in *
    | its (sbxfi) driver wasn't reverse-engineered but Creative Labs had provided
    | some source-code and header files to 4Front Technologies (Open-Source
    | Creative X-Fi Support). These code files though had confidential markings,
    | but two days later it was found out that this was legal and Creative Labs is
    | interacting with both the OSS and ALSA projects. They had finally joined the
    | open-source bandwagon. * * * *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...e_take_2&num=1

    Recent:

    Creative climbs down over home brew Vista drivers

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Posting a forum message on its website last weekend, Creative threatened
    | Daniel_K with legal action, accusing him of infringing its intellectual
    | property. The company removed forum posts from the developer containing links
    | to his work. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Daniel_K is incensed by Creative. "They publicly threatened me, just to show
    | their arrogance," he told El Reg by email.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04..._driver_links/

    Creative Labs : Product Boards : Sound Blaster : Message to Daniel_K

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | [...]
    |
    | To be clear, we are asking you to respect our legal rights in this matter and
    | cease all further unauthorized distribution of our technology and IP. *In
    | addition we request that you observe our forum rules and respect our right to
    | enforce those rules. *If you are in any doubt as to what we would consider
    | unacceptable then please request clarification through one of our forum
    | moderators before posting. * *
    |
    | Phil O'Shaughnessy
    | VP Corporate Communications
    | Creative Labs Inc.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | My god, you guys got some balls on you, either that or you'r all bordeline
    | mad.
    |
    | He offered a service you guys cant/wont, and in so madde a lot og YOUR
    | customers happy about their product again.
    |
    | Now you wanna whipe him out and keep him silent by threatning about legal
    | actions.
    |
    | This is a beyond retarded, shame on you, shame on you.
    `----

    http://forums.creative.com/creativel...cending&page=1

    Related:

    Creative Joining The Open Bandwagon

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's official, Creative Labs is joining the open specification/code bandwagon
    | for the X-Fi series. Earlier this week we shared that through the Open Sound
    | System there is now open-source support for the Sound Blaster X-Fi. *
    `----

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NjMyMw

    Why Vista sounds worse

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
    | caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
    | Tim Anderson *
    `----

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...oft.technology

    Audio in Linux is awesome

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I can’t wait for PulseAudio. I’m sure that will make all of this even easier.
    `----

    http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

  2. Re: [News] New Linux Drivers for X-FI Cards from Creative Labs

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 00:36:11 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Creative releases a new v1.18 Beta driver for X-FI cards

    And 3 months ago Creative Labs was Satan because they would not release
    source code to their products.

    Your nothing but a phony and a hypocrite, Roy Schestowitz.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

+ Reply to Thread