Sound Idea from MSFT: charge a monthly fee for Office. Only $33 amonth {Applause} - Linux

This is a discussion on Sound Idea from MSFT: charge a monthly fee for Office. Only $33 amonth {Applause} - Linux ; Quoting RonB who, on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:33:40 -0500, posted: > raylopez99 wrote: > >> Only you and five other people in the 0.6% PC market share world would >> know it. > > And then there's the 20% ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 29 of 29

  1. Re: Sound Idea from MSFT: charge a monthly fee for Office. Only $33 a month {Applause}

    Quoting RonB who, on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:33:40 -0500, posted:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> Only you and five other people in the 0.6% PC market share world would
    >> know it.

    > And then there's the 20% of the world's population who COLA 24/7. Of
    > course it's not like they're cognizant of their surroundings. Isn't that
    > right, Ray old boy?
    >
    > (Never mind answering, I don't want you to hurt yourself.)

    Did Dopez99 fart again?

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  2. Re: Sound Idea from MSFT: charge a monthly fee for Office. Only $33 a month {Applause}

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > It's a proud day to be an American. As a MSFT shareholder, I applaud
    > the below idea. After all, nowadays $33 a month, or a little over a
    > dollar a day, won't even pay for coffee. Further, this way the best
    > and the brightest programmers at MSFT have a chance to be fairly
    > compensated for any bug fixes or enhancements they make to the
    > software. A "win-win" all around.
    >
    > For those starving students who can't afford even a dollar a day,
    > there's an ad-supported version--for cheapskates, who can argue with
    > free?
    >
    > Bravo Microsoft!

    ----snip

    God! I hope they do this and do this soon!!!!

    --

    Jerry McBride (jmcbride@mail-on.us)

  3. Re: Sound Idea from MSFT: charge a monthly fee for Office. Only $33 a month {Applause}

    On 2008-04-28, Jerry McBride claimed:
    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> It's a proud day to be an American. As a MSFT shareholder, I applaud
    >> the below idea. After all, nowadays $33 a month, or a little over a
    >> dollar a day, won't even pay for coffee. Further, this way the best
    >> and the brightest programmers at MSFT have a chance to be fairly
    >> compensated for any bug fixes or enhancements they make to the
    >> software. A "win-win" all around.
    >>
    >> For those starving students who can't afford even a dollar a day,
    >> there's an ad-supported version--for cheapskates, who can argue with
    >> free?
    >>
    >> Bravo Microsoft!
    >>

    > ----snip
    >
    > God! I hope they do this and do this soon!!!!

    They want to buy Yahoo. I think they should charge $100 a month so they
    don't have to service the debt so long.

    A good compromise might be $66/month.

    --
    Bill Gates says Open Source is riding on the coat-tails of Windows'
    success. That's like saying Osama has done his part to increase airport

  4. Re: Sound Idea from MSFT: charge a monthly fee for Office. Only $33 amonth {Applause}

    On Apr 28, 8:03*am, Sinister Midget wrote:

    > They want to buy Yahoo. I think they should charge $100 a month so they
    > don't have to service the debt so long.
    >
    > A good compromise might be $66/month.

    I don't think MSFT can just arbitrarily set the price for SaaS at $66/
    month, Midget. After all, they do have serious competition such as
    Linux (snicker, snicker).

    Buy MSFT and profit.

    RL

  5. Re: Sound Idea from MSFT: charge a monthly fee for Office. Only $33 a month {Applause}

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Buy MSFT and profit.

    Experience? You'll know better next time?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  6. Re: Sound Idea from MSFT: charge a monthly fee for Office. Only $33 a month {Applause}

    RonB writes:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> Buy MSFT and profit.

    > Experience? You'll know better next time?

    Why not though? Thousands of SW companies the world over did just that.

    --
    revision 1.17.2.7
    date: 2001/05/31 21:32:44; author: branden; state: Exp; lines: +1 -1

  7. Re: Sound Idea from MSFT: charge a monthly fee for Office. Only $33 amonth {Applause}

    On Apr 27, 6:14*am, William Poaster wrote:
    > Quoting RonB who, on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:33:40 -0500, posted:
    >
    > > raylopez99 wrote:

    > >> Only you and five other people in the 0.6% PC market share world would
    > >> know it.

    > > And then there's the 20% of the world's population who COLA 24/7. Of
    > > course it's not like they're cognizant of their surroundings. Isn't that
    > > right, Ray old boy?

    > > (Never mind answering, I don't want you to hurt yourself.)

    > Did Dopez99 fart again?

    That's a kinky question William.

  8. Re: Sound Idea from MSFT: charge a monthly fee for Office. Only $33 a month {Applause}

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, raylopez99

    wrote
    on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 18:50:02 -0700 (PDT)
    <042e7259-5981-4337-a878-5eeb10079453@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Apr 25, 12:54*pm, The Ghost In The Machine
    > wrote:
    >
    >> > Maybe people just don't like Linux and Open Office.

    >> Correct. *Mostly because they don't *know* it -- and even
    >> you don't know it; Linux is the *kernel*, and just that.

    > We want more than just a kernel, Colonel, else we would all program in
    > Assembly Language.

    Entirely correct, and one couldn't even do that with just
    Linux; one would have to find a program such as DEBUG.EXE,
    and write things in *machine* language.[*]

    Linux qua Linux can't even *boot* (it needs init or sh to
    start the first process). The absolute mininum requirement
    to get something even remotely useful with Linux is:

    one (1) Linux kernel, compiled
    one (1) busybox, compiled
    one (1) /lib/libc, compiled
    one (1) boot block, compiled, if one's using a hard drive

    (Yes, I've done this. It's been awhile, and nowadays floppies
    have been replaced by Flash sticks. PXE boots are also
    interesting, but I never did get that to quite work.)

    One can substitute various things for busybox, space
    permitting. There's the question as to how one can
    compile a Linux distro without another Linux, Unix,
    or even Windows box nearby (I'll admit the last is an
    intriguing possibility for seeding purposes, but is
    generally unnecessary nowadays).

    Of course most modern distros have a lot more to offer,
    such as Gnome, KDE, OpenOffice, X, ... but that's a detail.
    Gentoo in particular has LiveDisc boot capability, giving
    one a vaguely competent non-graphical environment for
    installation purposes -- at least as of 2005; I've not
    tried the latest one.

    >> > Maybe you should face reality that even with 500+ Linux distributions and
    >> > the fact that Linux is free, *you still can't get people to use Linux.

    >> People don't use Linux. *They get work done (or try to,
    >> in some cases).
    >>

    > No work = unemployed = Linux "power" user, who impresses gullible
    > friends with "Hello, World!" programs.

    See below.

    >> *I* might write code such as the following:
    >>
    >> -----8< >8-----
    >>
    >> #include
    >>

    > Case in point...

    Not necessarily. I'm employed.

    >> Most people prefer to type in commands such as 'ls'
    >> (if they're old school) or point and click.

    > Right.
    >

    >>[*] in the sense that it never mutated. *Linux now has at least
    >> *three* audio systems (OSS, ALSA, and now PulseAudio), which
    >> is almost as bad as Windows' internal drivers -- but no one
    >> ever sees the drivers. *To their credit, they do work reasonably
    >> well together.
    >>

    > Only you and five other people in the 0.6% PC market share world would
    > know it.

    Then it's an improvement. It used to be 0.23% 10 years or so back. ;-)

    > RL

    [*] An example of assembly language:

    /* #include */

    ..globl _start
    ..text

    _start:
    pushl %ebp
    movl %esp,%ebp

    movl $datas,%edx /* len */
    movl $data,%ecx /* buf */
    movl $1,%ebx /* fid 1 -- STDOUT */
    movl $4,%eax /* __NR_write */
    int $0x80

    popl %ebp
    ret

    data: .ascii "Hello, world!"
    .byte 10
    datae:
    datas=datae-data

    ..end

    The resultant machine language:

    55 89E5 BA0E000000 B91B[000000] BB01000000
    B804000000 CD80 5D C3

    48656C6C6F2C20776F726C64210A

    The extreme pedant will note that the "machine language"
    is actually hex (with space deliminters to show where the
    instructions start), and the bracketed part might have a
    fixup offset associated therewith -- but this will give
    you an idea.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Does anyone else remember the 1802?

  9. Re: Sound Idea from MSFT: charge a monthly fee for Office. Only $33 a month {Applause}

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, cc

    wrote
    on Thu, 1 May 2008 04:38:16 -0700 (PDT)
    <6625b824-4cf2-4a2a-9a28-7fdb645a5c39@34g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>:
    > On Apr 27, 6:14*am, William Poaster wrote:
    >> Quoting RonB who, on Sat, 26 Apr 2008 21:33:40 -0500, posted:

    >> > And then there's the 20% of the world's population who COLA 24/7. Of
    >> > course it's not like they're cognizant of their surroundings. Isn't that
    >> > right, Ray old boy?

    >> > (Never mind answering, I don't want you to hurt yourself.)

    >> Did Dopez99 fart again?
    >>

    > That's a kinky question William.

    Lopez99 did generate a post; as to whether he produced
    flatulence while doing so, I for one can't say, and
    would suspect that such metabolic processes are largely
    irrelevant here in COLA anyway; of course, the metabolic
    processes also produced his initial posting, which suggests
    he does not think very highly of Linux. ;-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature/pedantry: Resource temporarily unavailable

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2