"For the last few days I have been experiencing Fedora 8 lock ups. Once or
twice per day. Everything freezes except the mouse pointer which jumps
around the screen erratically as you move the mouse. Keyboard is also frozen
and I notice a lot of continuous hard drive activity when this problem
occurs. Appears like something is going into a tight loop. It does not seem
to be related to a specific application. It happens in both KDE and Gnome. I
just updated my kernel to 2.6..9-85, but I'm pretty sure this was happening
on 2.6.23.8-63. The CPU is a Core 2 Duo. This only way out of this problem
is a hard reset. I checked the "messages" and 'dmesg" logs for any
suspicious messages, but saw none."

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes