NEWHAM scraps MS MOU .. - Linux

This is a discussion on NEWHAM scraps MS MOU .. - Linux ; "NEWHAM .. has scrapped the controversial 10-year .. (MOU) it signed with Microsoft in 2004" "The council decided Microsoft's flagship government contract failed to demonstrate its value, four years after it was signed" http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ship-flounders "We have a copy of that ...

  1. NEWHAM scraps MS MOU ..

    "NEWHAM .. has scrapped the controversial 10-year .. (MOU) it signed
    with Microsoft in 2004"

    "The council decided Microsoft's flagship government contract failed
    to demonstrate its value, four years after it was signed"

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ship-flounders

    "We have a copy of that Capgemini study, and the one we have totally
    contradicts what's being claimed,"

    http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3397021

    "Computer Weekly reports that this team is carrying out an audit of
    Newham's IT systems with the objective of showing that Newham's TCO
    using Microsoft software will be lower than if it goes open source.
    The exercise is being funded by Microsoft"

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10..._counter_open/

  2. Re: NEWHAM scraps MS MOU ..

    ____/ Doug Mentohl on Sunday 20 April 2008 13:43 : \____

    > "NEWHAM .. has scrapped the controversial 10-year .. (MOU) it signed
    > with Microsoft in 2004"
    >
    > "The council decided Microsoft's flagship government contract failed
    > to demonstrate its value, four years after it was signed"

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ship-flounders

    > "We have a copy of that Capgemini study, and the one we have totally
    > contradicts what's being claimed,"
    >
    > http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3397021
    >
    > "Computer Weekly reports that this team is carrying out an audit of
    > Newham's IT systems with the objective of showing that Newham's TCO
    > using Microsoft software will be lower than if it goes open source.
    > The exercise is being funded by Microsoft"
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10..._counter_open/

    Richard Steele and the 'gang' appear to be behind this scandal. Microsoft is
    still playing dirty and it has its UK 'troopers'.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | "Error, no keyboard - press F1 to continue"
    00:05:02 up 5 days, 22:17, 3 users, load average: 1.74, 1.90, 1.75

  3. Re: NEWHAM scraps MS MOU ..

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 00:07:26 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > ____/ Doug Mentohl on Sunday 20 April 2008 13:43 : \____
    >
    >> "NEWHAM .. has scrapped the controversial 10-year .. (MOU) it signed
    >> with Microsoft in 2004"
    >>
    >> "The council decided Microsoft's flagship government contract failed
    >> to demonstrate its value, four years after it was signed"
    >>

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ship-flounders
    >>
    >> "We have a copy of that Capgemini study, and the one we have totally
    >> contradicts what's being claimed,"
    >>
    >> http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news...le.php/3397021
    >>
    >> "Computer Weekly reports that this team is carrying out an audit of
    >> Newham's IT systems with the objective of showing that Newham's TCO
    >> using Microsoft software will be lower than if it goes open source.
    >> The exercise is being funded by Microsoft"
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/10..._counter_open/

    > Richard Steele and the 'gang' appear to be behind this scandal. Microsoft is
    > still playing dirty and it has its UK 'troopers'.

    An article from 5 years ago?

    Your masters are not going to be happy with your productivity these days
    Roy Schestowitz.

    They might cut off your salary.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: NEWHAM scraps MS MOU ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > "NEWHAM .. has scrapped the controversial 10-year .. (MOU) it signed
    > with Microsoft in 2004"
    >
    > "The council decided Microsoft's flagship government contract failed
    > to demonstrate its value, four years after it was signed"
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ship-flounders

    I'm guessing that the main thing happening here is that the Newham
    Council has found they can get MS to give them a good price for saying
    how great the MS products are.

    It is a high-profile case, and they may be trying to drive the price
    down even more by withholding the expected praise and threatening to go
    over to FOSS.

    Anybody else see anything like that?

  5. Re: NEWHAM scraps MS MOU ..

    * Doug Mentohl peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > "NEWHAM .. has scrapped the controversial 10-year .. (MOU) it signed
    > with Microsoft in 2004"
    >
    > "The council decided Microsoft's flagship government contract failed
    > to demonstrate its value, four years after it was signed"
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ship-flounders

    A key element of the agreement was that it must demonstrate that it
    had helped Newham become a top performing council. This target was
    not met.

    WTF does that mean?

    "The deliverables have changed," he said.

    That's meaningful.

    The original MOU, a copy of which was obtained by the INQUIRER, said
    that it would sustain Newham in the "upper decile of best performing
    councils in the UK. "

    It would "improve Common Performance Assessment results and Star
    Ratings," which are the measures the Audit Commission uses to rate
    councils.

    I want to know how they all did on their SATs.

    The refresh, said Weakly was delayed because Vista, Microsoft's
    latest operating system, would not be compatible with other software
    used by the council.

    Good ol' Vista. What an albatross.

    Anyway, that article might as well be written in Greek, to this
    parochial ol' Amuuurrrrrican.

    This was always a requirement of the MOU. It said Newham would be
    expected to ditch all "competitive technologies" in favour of
    Microsoft and then present itself as a "best practice" site in
    Microsoft promotions.

    Newham agreed to be a propaganda vehicle?

    --
    Before Paul and I started the company, we had been involved in some
    large-scale software projects that were real disasters. They just kept

  6. Re: NEWHAM scraps MS MOU ..

    Linonut wrote:

    > Anyway, that article might as well be written in Greek, to this
    > parochial ol' Amuuurrrrrican.

    Yet it was far less cutesy and flippant than the typical stuff from the
    Inquirer.

  7. Re: NEWHAM scraps MS MOU ..

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Oh, no... it's worth than ever. IDC flogging virtualisation in the
    > press just moments ago in the press. It's absolutely appalling.

    Well... isn't the lying stupidity of many cola/Linux "advocates" much more
    appalling than a press release? I do think so.

    > It's like a full frontal assult on people's mind. The EC
    > is hopefully watching this.

    I hope so too, since a Microsoft virtualization product will mean more
    choice in the marketplace. All you Linux bozos applaud choice - don't you?

  8. Re: NEWHAM scraps MS MOU ..

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:07:31 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Oh, no... it's worth than ever. IDC flogging virtualisation in the
    >> press just moments ago in the press. It's absolutely appalling.

    > Well... isn't the lying stupidity of many cola/Linux "advocates" much more
    > appalling than a press release? I do think so.
    >

    >> It's like a full frontal assult on people's mind. The EC
    >> is hopefully watching this.

    > I hope so too, since a Microsoft virtualization product will mean more
    > choice in the marketplace. All you Linux bozos applaud choice - don't you?

    Only when the choice is the same choice they, the Linux loons want.
    In the Linux community it's only about choice when it is the Linux way!
    IOW follow the religion to the letter or you are excommunicated from the
    church of Linux.

    No wonder the Linux movement often gets compared to a cult.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/