[News] Linux Gets Better at Memory Management - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Linux Gets Better at Memory Management - Linux ; New kernel puts a spotlight on memory hogs ,----[ Quote ] | After 2.6.21, which came out about a year ago, we started to be able to use | PowerTOP to spot problem applications that wake up the processor and ...

  1. [News] Linux Gets Better at Memory Management

    New kernel puts a spotlight on memory hogs

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | After 2.6.21, which came out about a year ago, we started to be able to use
    | PowerTOP to spot problem applications that wake up the processor and waste
    | power.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...4194304;fpid;1

    Meanwhile, on the other hand, Windows has gotten an order of magnitude worse
    with Vista.

    Understand Linux Virtual Memory Management

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Virtual memory is one of the most important, and accordingly confusing,
    | pieces of an operating system. Understanding the basics of virtual memory is
    | required to understand operating system performance. Beyond the basics, a
    | deeper understanding allows a system administrator to interpret system
    | profiling tools better, leading to quicker troubleshooting and better
    | decisions.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | To optimally configure your Virtual Memory Manager (VMM), it’s necessary to
    | understand how it does its job. We’re using Linux for example’s sake, but the
    | concepts apply across the board, though some slight architectural differences
    | will exist between the Unixes.
    `----

    http://www.enterprisenetworkingplane...le.php/3741281

    Recent (all from April 2008):

    Kernel space: memory allocation failures

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If your production Linux system is logging memory allocation failures, it
    | might still be able to keep running. But developers want to keep an eye on
    | which code can survive a shortage of memory. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

    kmemcheck Aiming For Mainline Inclusion

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "kmemcheck is a patch to the linux kernel that detects use of uninitialized
    | memory. It does this by trapping every read and write to memory that was
    | allocated dynamically (e.g. using kmalloc()). If a memory address is read
    | that has not previously been written to, a message is printed to the kernel
    | log."
    `----

    http://kerneltrap.org/node/15912

    Kernel space: ELF prediction to speed application startup

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A new technique might make it faster to get started with a large application,
    | by giving the kernel advance notice of what are most likely to be the
    | program's commonly used memory pages
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com.au/inde...37208&rid=-219

    Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Linux Foundation (LF) has published a study on Linux mainline kernel
    | development. According to LF, the number of Linux kernel developers has
    | tripled since 2005, with many more companies contributing to the process
    | (including, potentially, the latest new LF member, Adobe).
    `----

    NEWS: Linux Developers Make A Living

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yes, I said paid professionals.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | McPherson also notes that “it’s difficult for most people to get their minds
    | around competitive mass collaboration.” Indeed, this is what the freedom
    | afforded by Linux is all about. People (and companies) contribute not for
    | humanitarian reasons, but because they expect a benefit. Work together to
    | create the best platform, openly usable by everyone, and if it still doesn’t
    | meet your needs perfectly, you are free to change it accordingly. Everyone
    | wins. No compromises.
    `----

    http://linuxfud.wordpress.com/2008/0...make-a-living/

  2. Re: [News] Linux Gets Better at Memory Management

    Roy Schestowitz writes:

    > Understand Linux Virtual Memory Management
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | Virtual memory is one of the most important, and accordingly confusing,
    > | pieces of an operating system. Understanding the basics of virtual memory is
    > | required to understand operating system performance. Beyond the basics, a
    > | deeper understanding allows a system administrator to interpret system
    > | profiling tools better, leading to quicker troubleshooting and better
    > | decisions.
    > |
    > | [...]
    > |
    > | To optimally configure your Virtual Memory Manager (VMM), it’s necessary to
    > | understand how it does its job. We’re using Linux for example’s sake, but the
    > | concepts apply across the board, though some slight architectural differences
    > | will exist between the Unixes.
    > `----

    LOL. 10 lines explaining how "understanding" something is a good
    idea. Good old Roy. All hot air and no substance.

+ Reply to Thread