[News] A Look Ahead of Ubuntu 8.10 - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] A Look Ahead of Ubuntu 8.10 - Linux ; Intrepid Ibex ,----[ Quote ] | The release after an LTS release (or 3 releases before one) is usually an | unstable one (4.10, 6.10, 8.10, and probably 10.10), as the developers find | new technology to incorporate and wait ...

  1. [News] A Look Ahead of Ubuntu 8.10

    Intrepid Ibex

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The release after an LTS release (or 3 releases before one) is usually an
    | unstable one (4.10, 6.10, 8.10, and probably 10.10), as the developers find
    | new technology to incorporate and wait for it to mature over the next 2
    | releases. Expect 8.10 to have KDE 4, among other interesting stuff, maybe
    | even Avant.
    `----

    http://distrogue.blogspot.com/2008/0...epid-ibex.html

    Ah, non-destructive Linux fun

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It seems that Micro$oft decided to completely change the boot/MBR files for
    | Vista, making it a pain to setup dual-boots when Vista is already installed.
    | This has seriously limited my tinkering fun... until earlier yesterday.
    |
    | I ran across a video (bad me, I did not save the link) through Stumbleupon
    | that took me to the Wubi website.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In all the time I have kicked around O/Ses, this has to be the smoothest
    | installer I have ever used. All you need is a minimum of about 5 GB of free
    | space on your drive, and you are good to go.
    `----

    http://wttf.blogspot.com/2008/04/ah-...linux-fun.html

    Recent:

    Vista SP1 won't install on dual-boot systems: Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If you’re dualbooting Windows Vista Enterprise or Ultimate alongside a Linux
    | distro, and have installed the Linux bootloader into the MBR, then you’re
    | guaranteed to run into problems when installing Vista Service Pack 1,
    | Microsoft has admitted. *
    `----

    http://apcmag.com/vista_sp1_wont_ins..._microsoft.htm

    Related:

    Geek in Paradise - Vista Upgrade

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As the HP Advisor disc was in the process of finishing, the machine
    | froze solid. After giving it 5 minutes of no disk activity, I reset
    | the machine to be greeted by a lovely blinking cursor. I put the
    | Vista disc in and booted into a repair installation, where I ran the
    | Repair tool. My hunch was proved correct when it returned a corrupted
    | MBR, which it had fixed. Thinking all was well, I rebooted to be
    | greeted with a black screen (no blinking cursor). Well, there's
    | something more going on so I rebooted into the repair tool and let
    | it do it's thing. This time, it found a Corrupted Partition table
    | which it then said it repaired. Awesome! Next reboot was greeted by
    | the same black screen, so I figured the other partition was corrupt
    | as well and let the repair tool run again and fix the partition
    | table again. Reboot, same thing...
    `----

    http://geekinparadise.com/2007/04/05/vista-upgrade/

    Vista scoots to new boot, but it's still kinda rooted

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While Microsoft would like the world to believe that anyone running Windows
    | has no need of any other operating system, that attitude doesn?t cut much
    | mustard with many of its users.
    |
    | Why settle for one OS when your PC is easily capable of running two or
    | more?
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | One of the more questionable tactics that Microsoft has implemented in
    | Vista is to automatically overwrite any existing MBR during the
    | installation process without asking if you mind or giving you an option
    | to back up.
    |
    | Microsoft says that the Windows installation system can't intelligently
    | interrogate an existing non-MS MBR, although such features are quite
    | common in the install routine for other OSes.
    |
    | It also argues that an "official" Vista MBR is required for security
    | features -- such as measured boot, which works with Trusted Platform
    | Module (TPM)-enabled chips to check that the OS hasn't been hacked or
    | altered each time it boots -- to work correctly.
    `----

    http://www.apcstart.com/site/akidman...l-kinda-rooted

  2. Re: [News] A Look Ahead of Ubuntu 8.10

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 04:45:10 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Intrepid Ibex

    Have they fixed the freezing problems that Ubuntu seems to have?

    Hopefully.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: