Fedora: freezing and losing work again and again, but no problems with Windows on same machine - Linux

This is a discussion on Fedora: freezing and losing work again and again, but no problems with Windows on same machine - Linux ; "I have a major problem, I'm running Fedora 8 i386 on a laptop, but almost every time I use it after some time all the windows freeze. I can move the mouse, if some application is running (for example playing ...

  1. Fedora: freezing and losing work again and again, but no problems with Windows on same machine

    "I have a major problem, I'm running Fedora 8 i386 on a laptop, but almost
    every time I use it after some time all the windows freeze. I can move the
    mouse, if some application is running (for example playing music) it
    continues to do so, but I can do nothing: I cannot open or close windows
    (they do not respond), I cannot go to system and restart, I cannot call a
    terminal with alt+ctrl+f1 ... so I just turn off the laptop from the power
    button. Usually this happens when I try to do something in a window, like
    going to File or Edit in a window's menu or trying to close one or trying to
    go to Applications/Places/System in the toolbar. I was using Fedora 7 x86_64
    before install f8 and I had exactly the same problem. Is there the
    possibility that it has to do with my laptop? I was thinking the memory but
    under Windows I don't have any problem (I also run Windows on the same
    machine). Does anybody knows what the problem might be? Other than this I
    love Fedora but having to restart the machine and losing your work again and
    again is a big problem..."

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes

  2. Re: Fedora: freezing and losing work again and again, but noproblems with Windows on same machine

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:29:58 -0400, DFS wrote:

    [snip]

    Abuse report sent.

  3. Re: Fedora: freezing and losing work again and again, but no problems with Windows on same machine

    DFS wrote:

    > "I have a major problem, I'm running Fedora 8 i386 on a laptop, but almost
    > every time I use it after some time all the windows freeze. I can move the
    > mouse, if some application is running (for example playing music) it
    > continues to do so, but I can do nothing: I cannot open or close windows
    > (they do not respond), I cannot go to system and restart, I cannot call a
    > terminal with alt+ctrl+f1 ... so I just turn off the laptop from the power
    > button. Usually this happens when I try to do something in a window, like
    > going to File or Edit in a window's menu or trying to close one or trying
    > to go to Applications/Places/System in the toolbar. I was using Fedora 7
    > x86_64 before install f8 and I had exactly the same problem. Is there the
    > possibility that it has to do with my laptop? I was thinking the memory
    > but under Windows I don't have any problem (I also run Windows on the same
    > machine). Does anybody knows what the problem might be? Other than this I
    > love Fedora but having to restart the machine and losing your work again
    > and again is a big problem..."

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes

    If you had bothered to read on, you would have seen that the likely problem
    was the Radeon video driver. AFAIK this is a proprietary driver from ATI.
    Hence, what you appear to be saying is that the Linux support by ATI is
    very poor and as such, you will have lots of problems if you purchase a
    computer with an ATI video chip.

    To give AMD credit where credit is due, the ATI Linux drivers are getting
    better and perhaps they will be as stable as those from nVidia and Intel
    one day.

    Ian

  4. Re: Fedora: freezing and losing work again and again, but no problems with Windows on same machine

    blobby wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:29:58 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    > [snip]
    >
    > Abuse report sent.

    Thanks.

    Let me know what the Fedora Project says about their crapware abusing the
    users. I expect them to deny it like cola idiots do, and tell you "Fedora
    just works."

+ Reply to Thread