Fedora: accidental poweroff, now no more wireless, and box crashes - Linux

This is a discussion on Fedora: accidental poweroff, now no more wireless, and box crashes - Linux ; "After about 3 weeks of wireless bliss, i did a "yum update" and accidentally unplugged the computer after the update completed (no reboot). Since then, Network Manager service crashes any time it is started and wireless is totally non-existant. When ...

  1. Fedora: accidental poweroff, now no more wireless, and box crashes

    "After about 3 weeks of wireless bliss, i did a "yum update" and
    accidentally unplugged the computer after the update completed (no reboot).
    Since then, Network Manager service crashes any time it is started and
    wireless is totally non-existant. When i configure the wirless card, the
    exact same way i did the first time it worked, the box also crashes. I think
    this is a network manager problem, but can't fix it."

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes

  2. Re: Fedora: accidental poweroff, now no more wireless, and box crashes

    DFS wrote:

    > "After about 3 weeks of wireless bliss, i did a "yum update" and
    > accidentally unplugged the computer after the update completed (no
    > reboot). Since then, Network Manager service crashes any time it is
    > started and wireless is totally non-existant. When i configure the wirless
    > card, the exact same way i did the first time it worked, the box also
    > crashes. I think this is a network manager problem, but can't fix it."

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes

    Once again, you are providing half truths to this group, trying to scare off
    newbies. The truth is saying that he did something really silly and is now
    suffering for it. At least with Linux he has a chance of getting things
    running again. The answer is provided a little bit down the page.

    As a side point, if the OP had done the same thing with Windows it would
    have been completely b0rk3d and he would have had no choice but to
    reinstall.

    The openness, flexability and reliability of Linux leaves the user in charge
    and appears to be making trolls very frightened. I suggest that you hide
    back under your bridge and keep away from goats.

    Ian

  3. Re: Fedora: accidental poweroff, now no more wireless, and box crashes

    Ian Hilliard wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "After about 3 weeks of wireless bliss, i did a "yum update" and
    >> accidentally unplugged the computer after the update completed (no
    >> reboot). Since then, Network Manager service crashes any time it is
    >> started and wireless is totally non-existant. When i configure the
    >> wirless card, the exact same way i did the first time it worked, the
    >> box also crashes. I think this is a network manager problem, but
    >> can't fix it."
    >>

    > http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes
    >
    > Once again, you are providing half truths to this group,

    What half did I leave out?

    > trying to scare off newbies.

    Why would they be scared? Many Linux nuts insist "Linux is perfect." (full
    stop), or "Linux is perfect for..." virtually all computing situations.

    > The truth is saying that he did something really
    > silly and is now suffering for it.

    I don't like to blame the user, but yes, he did something really silly and
    installed Linux.

    > At least with Linux he has a
    > chance of getting things running again.

    Is it your claim that once Windows has a problem, it can never be fixed?

    > The answer is provided a
    > little bit down the page.

    well duh! There's almost always an answer.

    > As a side point, if the OP had done the same thing with Windows it
    > would have been completely b0rk3d and he would have had no choice but
    > to reinstall.

    Pure bull****. My WinServer box has been hard-shutdown a dozen times by
    power spikes over the last 3 years, and it was never once required a
    reinstall (though I do think one of the power spikes caused a problem such
    that every time I powered off it did some kind of diskcheck for a minute or
    so).

    > The openness, flexability and reliability of Linux leaves the user in
    > charge and appears to be making trolls very frightened.

    The incredible number of bugs and freezing problems reported by such a small
    population of users ought to be frightening you.

    > I suggest that you hide back under your bridge and keep away from goats.

    Shouldn't you be manning the forums or contributing to projects or writing
    Linux documentation? You are a Linux user, right?

  4. Re: Fedora: accidental poweroff, now no more wireless, and box crashes

    DFS wrote:

    > Ian Hilliard wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:
    >>
    >>> "After about 3 weeks of wireless bliss, i did a "yum update" and
    >>> accidentally unplugged the computer after the update completed (no
    >>> reboot). Since then, Network Manager service crashes any time it is
    >>> started and wireless is totally non-existant. When i configure the
    >>> wirless card, the exact same way i did the first time it worked, the
    >>> box also crashes. I think this is a network manager problem, but
    >>> can't fix it."

    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/forum/...hlight=freezes

    >> Once again, you are providing half truths to this group,

    > What half did I leave out?
    >

    >> trying to scare off newbies.

    > Why would they be scared? Many Linux nuts insist "Linux is perfect."
    > (full stop), or "Linux is perfect for..." virtually all computing
    > situations.

    Linux is not perfect. It is simply better.

    >> The truth is saying that he did something really
    >> silly and is now suffering for it.

    > I don't like to blame the user, but yes, he did something really silly and
    > installed Linux.

    Installing Linux was the smart part. Not letting the update process finish
    was the problem.

    >> At least with Linux he has a
    >> chance of getting things running again.

    > Is it your claim that once Windows has a problem, it can never be fixed?

    Windows maintenance is the three R's.

    If there is a problem;
    Restart Application
    Reboot Machine
    Reinstall OS

    >> The answer is provided a
    >> little bit down the page.

    > well duh! There's almost always an answer.

    In which you are giving half truths by posting just the problem and not the
    solution.

    >> As a side point, if the OP had done the same thing with Windows it
    >> would have been completely b0rk3d and he would have had no choice but
    >> to reinstall.

    > Pure bull****. My WinServer box has been hard-shutdown a dozen times by
    > power spikes over the last 3 years, and it was never once required a
    > reinstall (though I do think one of the power spikes caused a problem
    > such that every time I powered off it did some kind of diskcheck for a
    > minute or so).

    You seem to have been very lucky. On the other hand, a quick Google of
    Windows Problem give 125,000,000 hits. It looks like others aren't quite so
    lucky as you.

    >> The openness, flexability and reliability of Linux leaves the user in
    >> charge and appears to be making trolls very frightened.

    > The incredible number of bugs and freezing problems reported by such a
    > small population of users ought to be frightening you.

    I would be the last person to claim that Linux is perfect. It is however
    much better that anything from Microsoft.

    >> I suggest that you hide back under your bridge and keep away from goats.

    > Shouldn't you be manning the forums or contributing to projects or writing
    > Linux documentation? You are a Linux user, right?

    Ian

+ Reply to Thread