Linux: "why so much trouble" - Linux

This is a discussion on Linux: "why so much trouble" - Linux ; "Yes so far as in Im not giving up yet on it and even if its not now I will one day return to it. What I dont seem to understand (and maybe someone can answer me) is why do ...

  1. Linux: "why so much trouble"

    "Yes so far as in Im not giving up yet on it and even if its not now I will
    one day return to it.
    What I dont seem to understand (and maybe someone can answer me) is why do I
    get so much trouble just trying to get linux (not just PCLinux) to work on
    my machine."

    http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=39498.0

  2. Re: DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 21:23:26 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Yes so far as in Im not giving up yet on it and even if its not now I
    > will one day return to it.
    > What I dont seem to understand (and maybe someone can answer me) is why
    > do I get so much trouble just trying to get linux (not just PCLinux) to
    > work on my machine."
    >
    > http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?

    option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=39498.0

    DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    --
    Rick

  3. Re: DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    Rick wrote:

    > DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    DFS: Why such a queer?
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY.

    Good to the last supper

  4. Re: Linux: "why so much trouble"

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 21:23:26 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "Yes so far as in Im not giving up yet on it and even if its not now I will
    > one day return to it.
    > What I dont seem to understand (and maybe someone can answer me) is why do I
    > get so much trouble just trying to get linux (not just PCLinux) to work on
    > my machine."
    >
    > http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=39498.0

    Linux has always had these problems but now that Ubuntu has basically put
    Linux on the map, sort of, for average users, the warts are starting to
    show.

    In the past the Linux loons kept all of this kind of stuff secret so that
    the real truth about Linux would not get out.

    If someone slipped and let it out that Linux had problems, the Linux Loon
    army would quickly mobilize and discredit this poor person.

    The truth is they can't do this anymore because Ubuntu is all over the
    place.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  5. Re: DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 21:23:26 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> "Yes so far as in Im not giving up yet on it and even if its not now I
    >> will one day return to it.
    >> What I dont seem to understand (and maybe someone can answer me) is why
    >> do I get so much trouble just trying to get linux (not just PCLinux) to
    >> work on my machine."
    >>
    >> http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?

    > option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=39498.0
    >
    > DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    Debilitating Fear Syndrome.

    --
    When the PC was launched, people knew it was important.
    -- Bill Gates

  6. Re: DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    Linonut wrote:

    > Debilitating Fear Syndrome.

    Dumb Fecal Sack
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

    Good to the last supper

  7. Re: DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 10:37:29 -0400, Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    > Linonut wrote:
    >
    >> Debilitating Fear Syndrome.

    > Dumb Fecal Sack

    Dork For Sure.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  8. Re: Linux: "why so much trouble"

    DFS wrote:
    > "Yes so far as in Im not giving up yet on it and even if its not now I will
    > one day return to it.
    > What I dont seem to understand (and maybe someone can answer me) is why do I
    > get so much trouble just trying to get linux (not just PCLinux) to work on
    > my machine."
    >
    > http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=39498.0

    I realize that I may get lambasted, or at the very least mildly
    chastised for the innocence/gullibility/stupidity that I may
    be exhibiting with this post (I'm hoping for the 'mild' option),
    but is there a chance that DFS may be telling the truth here?

    Before anyone pounces, please grant mercy to me on this post.

    I went to the URL and read the six or seven paragraphs that DFS
    wrote. It seems genuine.

    So I, as an innocent bystander, would like to humbly ask, what
    logs or error reports could DFS examine on his computer that
    might shed some light on the troubles that he posted about
    PCLinuxOS.

    If not for DFS's sake, perhaps someone would kindly answer for
    the sake of C.O.L.A. at large.

    I'm a near-newbie (although I have used Linux since SUSE 10.0
    and perhaps should be further along in my Linux learning)
    who currently uses PCLinuxOS 2007 with KDE strictly for
    entertainment and leisure pursuits (tasks like surfing the Web,
    listening to music, emailing, typing and printing letters
    to send to friends via the U.S. Postal Service, and other such
    non-technical diddling).

    As for me, I really, really like Linux. I'm very happy with
    PCLinuxOS, and I feel a little frustrated for DFS that PCLinuxOS
    (and apparently no distribution of Linux) will work for him.

    Yes, I think that he's not the nicest person who participates
    in this newsgroup. And I am just a little bit dubious about
    the sincerity of his latest barrage of PCLinuxOS queries.

    But what if, by some small chance, it's all genuine? What
    would a Linux guru in this newsgroup suggest if a 'nicer'
    person were presenting these problems/questions in a nice
    manner?

    For the benefit of those who aren't Linux-proficient and who
    don't know yet about the troubleshooting tasks that one may
    perform to ascertain why something in Linux is malfunctioning
    on some piece of hardware, would someone perhaps be willing
    to go out on a limb and respond to any of the problems that
    DFS is having with PCLinuxOS -- for the benefit of the group??

    Humbly & Curiously,
    Kelton

  9. Re: Linux: "why so much trouble"

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:51:28 -0400, Kelton wrote:

    > DFS wrote:
    >> "Yes so far as in Im not giving up yet on it and even if its not now I will
    >> one day return to it.
    >> What I dont seem to understand (and maybe someone can answer me) is why do I
    >> get so much trouble just trying to get linux (not just PCLinux) to work on
    >> my machine."
    >>
    >> http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=39498.0
    >>

    > I realize that I may get lambasted, or at the very least mildly
    > chastised for the innocence/gullibility/stupidity that I may
    > be exhibiting with this post (I'm hoping for the 'mild' option),
    > but is there a chance that DFS may be telling the truth here?
    >
    > Before anyone pounces, please grant mercy to me on this post.
    >
    > I went to the URL and read the six or seven paragraphs that DFS
    > wrote. It seems genuine.
    >
    > So I, as an innocent bystander, would like to humbly ask, what
    > logs or error reports could DFS examine on his computer that
    > might shed some light on the troubles that he posted about
    > PCLinuxOS.
    >
    > If not for DFS's sake, perhaps someone would kindly answer for
    > the sake of C.O.L.A. at large.
    >
    > I'm a near-newbie (although I have used Linux since SUSE 10.0
    > and perhaps should be further along in my Linux learning)
    > who currently uses PCLinuxOS 2007 with KDE strictly for
    > entertainment and leisure pursuits (tasks like surfing the Web,
    > listening to music, emailing, typing and printing letters
    > to send to friends via the U.S. Postal Service, and other such
    > non-technical diddling).
    >
    > As for me, I really, really like Linux. I'm very happy with
    > PCLinuxOS, and I feel a little frustrated for DFS that PCLinuxOS
    > (and apparently no distribution of Linux) will work for him.
    >
    > Yes, I think that he's not the nicest person who participates
    > in this newsgroup. And I am just a little bit dubious about
    > the sincerity of his latest barrage of PCLinuxOS queries.
    >
    > But what if, by some small chance, it's all genuine? What
    > would a Linux guru in this newsgroup suggest if a 'nicer'
    > person were presenting these problems/questions in a nice
    > manner?
    >
    > For the benefit of those who aren't Linux-proficient and who
    > don't know yet about the troubleshooting tasks that one may
    > perform to ascertain why something in Linux is malfunctioning
    > on some piece of hardware, would someone perhaps be willing
    > to go out on a limb and respond to any of the problems that
    > DFS is having with PCLinuxOS -- for the benefit of the group??
    >
    > Humbly & Curiously,
    > Kelton

    From what I have read, and no I did not check every single link, but it
    appears that what DFS is posting is the truth.

    Of course here in COLA, it's not acceptable to post about problems with
    Linux because here in COLA Linux "just works" and very few, if any have
    problems.

    Or so they say...

    The ironic part is that DFS is actually on topic for COLA which is more
    than can be said of Roy Schestowitz and his Microsoft hate posts.
    Or Mark Kent and his patent posts.
    Or [Homer] and his pure lunacy.

    Of course this is causing a total uproar in COLA because the penguin is out
    of the bag.

    The Google front page is full of Linux related material, for the first time
    in a long time, instead of Roy Schestowitz's mostly off topic paranoid
    ruminations.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Linux: "why so much trouble"

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 17:51:28 -0400, Kelton wrote:

    > DFS wrote:

    > As for me, I really, really like Linux. I'm very happy with PCLinuxOS,
    > and I feel a little frustrated for DFS that PCLinuxOS (and apparently no
    > distribution of Linux) will work for him.

    DFS is a *troll*. He doesn't *use* Linux, he is not *interested* in using
    Linux. See:
    http://colatrolls.blogspot.com/2007/01/dfs-troll.html

    > Yes, I think that he's not the nicest person who participates in this
    > newsgroup. And I am just a little bit dubious about the sincerity of his
    > latest barrage of PCLinuxOS queries.

    He's trolling. Story, end of.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    100% free of the M$ Windoze virus.
    -- 64bit Mandriva 2008.1 --

  11. Re: Linux: "why so much trouble"

    * Kelton peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > For the benefit of those who aren't Linux-proficient and who
    > don't know yet about the troubleshooting tasks that one may
    > perform to ascertain why something in Linux is malfunctioning
    > on some piece of hardware, would someone perhaps be willing
    > to go out on a limb and respond to any of the problems that
    > DFS is having with PCLinuxOS -- for the benefit of the group??

    No.

    > Humbly & Curiously,
    > Kelton

    The reason is this: the people who had the issues have undoubtedly
    worked them out by now.

    One could post a single coherent solution here.

    However, guess what happens? A parade of jerks hijacks the thread, so
    anyone searching for the solution now comes across this lahar of
    accompanying boolsheet that they have to wade through.

    Best to leave the solutions to more-specific groups that do not tend to
    attract so much trollery.

    Besides, I don't use PCLinuxOS and don't know its peculiarities.

    --
    Personal computing today is a rich ecosystem encompassing massive PC-based data
    centers, notebook and Tablet PCs, handheld devices, and smart cell phones. It

  12. Re: Linux: "why so much trouble"

    Linonut writes:

    > * Kelton peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    >> For the benefit of those who aren't Linux-proficient and who
    >> don't know yet about the troubleshooting tasks that one may
    >> perform to ascertain why something in Linux is malfunctioning
    >> on some piece of hardware, would someone perhaps be willing
    >> to go out on a limb and respond to any of the problems that
    >> DFS is having with PCLinuxOS -- for the benefit of the group??

    > No.
    >
    >> Humbly & Curiously,
    >> Kelton

    > The reason is this: the people who had the issues have undoubtedly
    > worked them out by now.

    Wrong. You are lying again.

    > One could post a single coherent solution here.

    Go on then.

    > However, guess what happens? A parade of jerks hijacks the thread, so
    > anyone searching for the solution now comes across this lahar of
    > accompanying boolsheet that they have to wade through.

    Wrong - please go to the news groups now.

    > Best to leave the solutions to more-specific groups that do not tend to
    > attract so much trollery.
    >
    > Besides, I don't use PCLinuxOS and don't know its peculiarities.

    So why are you telling lies about it here? I know why. You are a
    hypocrite and a fraud.

    --
    XP can't be selling well, or we'd have the wintrolls crowing about it all
    over the advocacy newsgroups.

  13. Re: DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    > Rick wrote:
    >
    >> DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    > DFS: Why such a queer?

    There's no need to be insulting to the homosexual community.
    What've they ever done to you to be compared to Doofus?

  14. Re: DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>
    >>> DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    >> DFS: Why such a queer?

    > There's no need to be insulting to the homosexual community.
    > What've they ever done to you to be compared to Doofus?

    What Marti does or does not want "to do" to brillo pad coiffure Tattoo
    Vampire is really none of your business. Marti has already stated that
    due to distance it can "never be" despite finding Vamp incredibly cute.

    --
    "Its obvious Micoshaft sponsored frauds and net stalkers are now attacking individuals directly in organised gangs in linux advocacy newsgroups as predicted since it is known micoshaft is failing in the market place."
    7, COLA Linux "advocate" and nutjob.

  15. Re: DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > There's no need to be insulting to the homosexual community.
    > What've they ever done to you to be compared to Doofus?

    "Queer" meant a lot of things before it meant one was a homosexual.
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ....Why is the third hand on the watch called the second hand?

    Good to the last supper

  16. Re: DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    Hadron wrote:

    > What Marti does or does not want "to do" to brillo pad coiffure Tattoo
    > Vampire is really none of your business. Marti has already stated that
    > due to distance it can "never be" despite finding Vamp incredibly cute.

    Spinning more twisted fantasies, Quack?

    And I'll have you know my hair is soft and shining and in no way resembles a
    Brillo pad. :-P
    --
    Regards,
    [tv]

    ...."I'm dead, Jim." - DeForrest Kelley, June 11, 1999

    Good to the last supper

  17. Re: DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:37:46 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Tattoo Vampire wrote:
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>
    >>> DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    >> DFS: Why such a queer?

    > There's no need to be insulting to the homosexual community.
    > What've they ever done to you to be compared to Doofus?

    What is it with Linux advocates and their obsession with homosexuality?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: DFS: WHy So Much Fear?

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 08:48:43 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:37:46 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
    >
    >> Tattoo Vampire wrote:

    >>> DFS: Why such a queer?

    >> There's no need to be insulting to the homosexual community. What've
    >> they ever done to you to be compared to Doofus?

    > What is it with Linux advocates and their obsession with homosexuality?

    What is it with you and your obsession with Roy?

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread