PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord - Linux

This is a discussion on PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord - Linux ; "I'm running an 1.8 Ghz AMD Athlon w/ 512 MB RAM and 128 MB Nvidia FX5200 graphics card. After the system has been up for a while, it automatically freezes. It dosent respond to any peripherals too. I have to ...

  1. PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    "I'm running an 1.8 Ghz AMD Athlon w/ 512 MB RAM and 128 MB Nvidia FX5200
    graphics card. After the system has been up for a while, it automatically
    freezes. It dosent respond to any peripherals too. I have to perform a
    reboot by yanking out the power cord."

    http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...&topic=29315.0

    heh!

  2. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    On Apr 19, 9:10*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    > "I'm running an 1.8 Ghz AMD Athlon w/ 512 MB RAM and 128 MB Nvidia FX5200
    > graphics card. After the system has been up for a while, it automatically
    > freezes. It dosent respond to any peripherals too. I have to perform a
    > reboot by yanking out the power cord."
    >
    > http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...d=58&topic=293...
    >
    > heh!

    Heh, that's what's known in the trade as a real "power user"!

    Truth be told, I, having taken courses in rocket sciencery, could not
    install Linux despite trying numerous distros, including Puppy Linux
    and Mandriva. I did get the latter and DSL to boot off a CD-ROM, but
    that's not the same thing.

    But I understand part of the 'fun' of Linux is simply getting it to
    load on your machine, but not necessarily doing any real serious work
    with it (with the exception of Apache, or industrial 'dedicated' uses
    like say a Linux based router).

    Sorry, but I'm sticking to Windows.

    RL

  3. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:08:38 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Apr 19, 9:10*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >> "I'm running an 1.8 Ghz AMD Athlon w/ 512 MB RAM and 128 MB Nvidia
    >> FX5200 graphics card. After the system has been up for a while, it
    >> automatically freezes. It dosent respond to any peripherals too. I have
    >> to perform a reboot by yanking out the power cord."
    >>
    >> http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?

    option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=293...

    >> heh!

    > Heh, that's what's known in the trade as a real "power user"!
    >
    > Truth be told, I, having taken courses in rocket sciencery, could not
    > install Linux despite trying numerous distros, including Puppy Linux and
    > Mandriva. I did get the latter and DSL to boot off a CD-ROM, but that's
    > not the same thing.
    >
    > But I understand part of the 'fun' of Linux is simply getting it to load
    > on your machine, but not necessarily doing any real serious work with it
    > (with the exception of Apache, or industrial 'dedicated' uses like say a
    > Linux based router).
    >
    > Sorry, but I'm sticking to Windows.

    Yes, we know you are sorry you are sticky with Windows. Many of us are
    happily sticking with Linux based systems.

    > RL

    Yeah, well... maybe you can learn to format a signature.

    --
    Rick

  4. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Sorry, but I'm sticking to Windows.

    Good for you. Now that *that* is settled, don't let the door slam on your
    butt on the way out.

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  5. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    On 2008-04-20, raylopez99 wrote:
    > On Apr 19, 9:10*pm, "DFS" wrote:
    >> "I'm running an 1.8 Ghz AMD Athlon w/ 512 MB RAM and 128 MB Nvidia FX5200
    >> graphics card. After the system has been up for a while, it automatically
    >> freezes. It dosent respond to any peripherals too. I have to perform a
    >> reboot by yanking out the power cord."
    >>
    >> http://www.pclinuxos.com/index.php?o...d=58&topic=293...
    >>
    >> heh!

    > Heh, that's what's known in the trade as a real "power user"!
    >
    > Truth be told, I, having taken courses in rocket sciencery, could not
    > install Linux despite trying numerous distros, including Puppy Linux
    > and Mandriva. I did get the latter and DSL to boot off a CD-ROM, but
    > that's not the same thing.
    >
    > But I understand part of the 'fun' of Linux is simply getting it to
    > load on your machine, but not necessarily doing any real serious work
    > with it (with the exception of Apache, or industrial 'dedicated' uses
    > like say a Linux based router).
    >
    > Sorry, but I'm sticking to Windows.

    Bye then, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

    Rocket Scientist!! Har har har har har har har har har har

    Har har har har har har har har har har....

    Maybe that's what happened to the Challenger and the Columbia.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  6. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    Is this your site: http://sciencery.net/

    > could not
    > install Linux despite trying numerous distros, including Puppy Linux
    > and Mandriva.

    That's strange. Any of the "top" 10 Linux distros are generally to very
    easy to install. What kind of issues did you have?

    > But I understand part of the 'fun' of Linux is simply getting it to
    > load on your machine, but not necessarily doing any real serious work
    > with it (with the exception of Apache, or industrial 'dedicated' uses
    > like say a Linux based router).
    >
    > Sorry, but I'm sticking to Windows.

    Me too.

    And nearly all Linux users have dual-boot or standalone Windows systems, for
    work or play. It's one of their dirty little secrets.

  7. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    On 2008-04-20, Rick wrote:
    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 04:16:35 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=293...

    >>> Heh, that's what's known in the trade as a real "power user"!
    >>>
    >>> Truth be told, I, having taken courses in rocket sciencery, could not
    >>> install Linux despite trying numerous distros, including Puppy Linux
    >>> and Mandriva. I did get the latter and DSL to boot off a CD-ROM, but
    >>> that's not the same thing.
    >>>
    >>> But I understand part of the 'fun' of Linux is simply getting it to
    >>> load on your machine, but not necessarily doing any real serious work
    >>> with it (with the exception of Apache, or industrial 'dedicated' uses
    >>> like say a Linux based router).
    >>>
    >>> Sorry, but I'm sticking to Windows.

    >> Bye then, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    >>
    >> Rocket Scientist!! Har har har har har har har har har har
    >>

    >> Har har har har har har har har har har....
    >>
    >> Maybe that's what happened to the Challenger and the Columbia.

    > That is really cold. No need to disrespect those crews. You could have
    > easily mentioned all the probes they've crashed into Mars, and/or lost.

    Cold? Lighten up, mate...

    A few astronauts die in the name of progress,,, sorry, but they are lost
    amidst the sea of human misery....

    If you really are offended, I'm sorry... but really... lighten up.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  8. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:28:15 +0000, Gregory Shearman wrote:

    > On 2008-04-20, Rick wrote:

    >> option=com_smf&Itemid=58&topic=293...

    >>> Bye then, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    >>>
    >>> Rocket Scientist!! Har har har har har har har har har har
    >>>

    >>> Har har har har har har har har har har....
    >>>
    >>> Maybe that's what happened to the Challenger and the Columbia.

    >> That is really cold. No need to disrespect those crews. You could have
    >> easily mentioned all the probes they've crashed into Mars, and/or lost.

    > Cold? Lighten up, mate...
    >
    > A few astronauts die in the name of progress,,, sorry, but they are lost
    > amidst the sea of human misery....
    >
    > If you really are offended, I'm sorry... but really... lighten up.

    Yes, I am offended. They didn't die in the name of progress. They died
    needlessly, both times because warnings from engineers (rocket
    scientists) were not heeded.

    --
    Rick

  9. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 00:45:45 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> Truth be told, I, having taken courses in rocket sciencery,

    > Is this your site: http://sciencery.net/
    >

    >> could not
    >> install Linux despite trying numerous distros, including Puppy Linux
    >> and Mandriva.

    > That's strange. Any of the "top" 10 Linux distros are generally to very
    > easy to install. What kind of issues did you have?

    Yes, they are very easy to install.

    >> But I understand part of the 'fun' of Linux is simply getting it to
    >> load on your machine, but not necessarily doing any real serious work
    >> with it (with the exception of Apache, or industrial 'dedicated' uses
    >> like say a Linux based router).
    >>
    >> Sorry, but I'm sticking to Windows.

    > Me too.
    >
    > And nearly all Linux users have dual-boot or standalone Windows systems,
    > for work or play. It's one of their dirty little secrets.

    Since dual booting is widely documented, it is hardly any kind of secret.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    On Apr 20, 7:50*am, Rick wrote:

    > > If you really are offended, I'm sorry... but really... lighten up.

    > Yes, I am offended. They didn't die in the name of progress. They died
    > needlessly, both times because warnings from engineers (rocket
    > scientists) *were not heeded.

    Well Dick, the astronauts would not have died had they had been using
    Windows, which is tested by 1000s of users in alpha and beta stages
    before shipping. Chew on that, Chewbacca.

    RL

  11. Re: Vista ME: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    raylopez99 wrote:

    > Well Dick, the astronauts would not have died had they had been using
    > Windows, which is tested by 1000s of users in alpha and beta stages
    > before shipping. *Chew on that, Chewbacca.

    What a load of ****. No problems at all with Vista ME... Yeah, I've got a
    nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Interested?

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  12. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 11:07:07 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    >> > If you really are offended, I'm sorry... but really... lighten up.

    >> Yes, I am offended. They didn't die in the name of progress. They died
    >> needlessly, both times because warnings from engineers (rocket
    >> scientists) *were not heeded.

    > Well Dick,

    My name's not Dick, asshole.

    Chew on this... you are a dishonest piece of ****.

    > RL

    ^^^^ and you're stupid, too.
    --
    Rick

  13. Re: Vista ME: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    Ahem!

    --
    RonB
    "There's a story there...somewhere"

  14. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    On Apr 20, 7:39*pm, Rick wrote:
    > > Well Dick,

    > My name's not Dick, asshole.

    Sorry, I keep making that mistake. Rick.

    > Chew on this... you are a dishonest piece of ****.

    Sorry to hear you didn't get on the MSFT gravy train. It's not too
    late though to buy MSFT now--it should double in five years.

    > > RL

    > ^^^^ and you're stupid, too.

    RL

    PS--with no sig file you can add stuff after your name tag like right
    here...bet you can't do that... STooooPid!

    RL

    ^^^^ <--I can do that too, Dick!

  15. Re: PCLinuxOS: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 07:11:39 -0700, raylopez99 wrote:

    > On Apr 20, 7:39*pm, Rick wrote:
    >> > Well Dick,

    >> My name's not Dick, asshole.

    > Sorry, I keep making that mistake. Rick.
    >

    >> Chew on this... you are a dishonest piece of ****.
    >>

    > Sorry to hear you didn't get on the MSFT gravy train. It's not too late
    > though to buy MSFT now--it should double in five years.

    The Microsoft gravy train... also none as supporting a company that has
    gained and kept isn't monopoly power through illegal means.

    >> > RL

    >> ^^^^ and you're stupid, too.

    > RL

    ^^^^ and you're stupid, too.

    > PS--with no sig file you can add stuff after your name tag like right
    > here...bet you can't do that... STooooPid!

    Yeah, I can.

    > RL
    >
    > ^^^^ <--I can do that too, Dick!

    My name's not Dick, asshole.
    --
    Rick

  16. Re: Vista ME: freezes, requires reboot by yanking power cord

    RonB wrote:
    > raylopez99 wrote:
    >
    >> Well Dick, the astronauts would not have died had they had
    >> been using Windows, which is tested by 1000s of users in
    >> alpha and beta stages before shipping. Chew on that,
    >> Chewbacca.

    > What a load of ****. No problems at all with Vista ME... Yeah,
    > I've got a nice bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Interested?

    RonB, raylopez99 is another one trolling in this group. This is
    a poor subject and to state what he has shows no respect for the
    fallen or their families; or for Rick.

    He shows the maturity level of an 11 year old.

    --
    HPT

+ Reply to Thread