    receive e-mail -- including displaying pictures -- without assistance"

    http://technocrat.net/d/2008/4/16/39631

  2. Re: Linux for grandma ..

    On 2008-04-19, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > "Okay, it has been a few months since I have set my 83-year old
    > grandmother with a desktop PC running Kubuntu 7.10. Just to recap,
    > she has never used a PC before. She doesn't know Windows or Mac or
    > Linux"
    >
    > "she can handle the basics of Firefox with ease -- and some note
    > cards. E-mail was the most confusing .. Still, she can now send and
    > receive e-mail -- including displaying pictures -- without assistance"

    Gee, this must cut Quark deeply. He'll never believe that linux is for
    Grandma, Ageist and Sexist little worm he is.

    --
    Regards,

    Gregory.
    Gentoo Linux - Penguin Power

  3. Re: Linux for grandma ..

    Gregory Shearman wrote:
    > On 2008-04-19, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >> "Okay, it has been a few months since I have set my 83-year old
    >> grandmother with a desktop PC running Kubuntu 7.10. Just to recap,
    >> she has never used a PC before. She doesn't know Windows or Mac or
    >> Linux"
    >>
    >> "she can handle the basics of Firefox with ease -- and some note
    >> cards. E-mail was the most confusing .. Still, she can now send and
    >> receive e-mail -- including displaying pictures -- without
    >> assistance"

    > Gee, this must cut Quark deeply. He'll never believe that linux is for
    > Grandma, Ageist and Sexist little worm he is.

    Here's what's in store for Grandma:

    "I have managed to stop the freezes by changing my kernel boot options as
    follows:

    /boot/grub/menu.lst:

    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/md0 ro quiet
    nosplash noapic acpi=off pci=nomsi

    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=55

    I sure hope Grandpa is a geek.

  4. Re: Linux for grandma ..

    "DFS" writes:

    > Gregory Shearman wrote:
    >> On 2008-04-19, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >>> "Okay, it has been a few months since I have set my 83-year old
    >>> grandmother with a desktop PC running Kubuntu 7.10. Just to recap,
    >>> she has never used a PC before. She doesn't know Windows or Mac or
    >>> Linux"
    >>>
    >>> "she can handle the basics of Firefox with ease -- and some note
    >>> cards. E-mail was the most confusing .. Still, she can now send and
    >>> receive e-mail -- including displaying pictures -- without
    >>> assistance"

    >> Gee, this must cut Quark deeply. He'll never believe that linux is for
    >> Grandma, Ageist and Sexist little worm he is.

    Huh? I want it to be for Grandma and can find lots of posts where I
    encourage just that. I can also post links to posts from you where you
    do NOT want Linux improving in case it attract the "wrong kind of
    user". So, Gregory, the lying snivelling little cretin that you are -
    what do you have to say to that? Where are YOU in Linux help groups
    helping others? Oh ! I know. You're an RTFM and "read the spec" kind of
    guy. You are so clueless that I pray you are not let anyway near Linux
    development.

    > Here's what's in store for Grandma:
    >
    > "I have managed to stop the freezes by changing my kernel boot options as
    > follows:
    >
    > /boot/grub/menu.lst:
    >
    > kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic root=/dev/md0 ro quiet
    > nosplash noapic acpi=off pci=nomsi
    >
    > http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...freeze&page=55
    >
    > I sure hope Grandpa is a geek.

    So does Gregory. He actually reckons she should read the nntp spec. I
    kid you not.

    --
    "At BT Global, our crown jewels are the services we supply to our
    customers. With jNetX we own the intellectual property for our

  5. Re: Linux for grandma ..

    "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    > "Okay, it has been a few months since I have set my 83-year old
    > grandmother with a desktop PC running Kubuntu 7.10. Just to recap,
    > she has never used a PC before. She doesn't know Windows or Mac or
    > Linux"
    >
    > "she can handle the basics of Firefox with ease -- and some note
    > cards. E-mail was the most confusing .. Still, she can now send and
    > receive e-mail -- including displaying pictures -- without assistance"
    >
    > http://technocrat.net/d/2008/4/16/39631

    Why does he hate his grandmother so much?

  6. Re: Linux for grandma ..

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:43:13 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    a12c-56643aa6a973@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    >> "Okay, it has been a few months since I have set my 83-year old
    >> grandmother with a desktop PC running Kubuntu 7.10. Just to recap, she
    >> has never used a PC before. She doesn't know Windows or Mac or Linux"
    >>
    >> "she can handle the basics of Firefox with ease -- and some note cards.
    >> E-mail was the most confusing .. Still, she can now send and receive
    >> e-mail -- including displaying pictures -- without assistance"
    >>
    >> http://technocrat.net/d/2008/4/16/39631

    > Why does he hate his grandmother so much?

    Why are you so dishonest?

    And why can't you format a signature?

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Linux for grandma ..

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 07:49:51 -0500, Rick wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 08:43:13 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message

    > a12c-56643aa6a973@m36g2000hse.googlegroups.com...
    >>> "Okay, it has been a few months since I have set my 83-year old
    >>> grandmother with a desktop PC running Kubuntu 7.10. Just to recap, she
    >>> has never used a PC before. She doesn't know Windows or Mac or Linux"
    >>>
    >>> "she can handle the basics of Firefox with ease -- and some note cards.
    >>> E-mail was the most confusing .. Still, she can now send and receive
    >>> e-mail -- including displaying pictures -- without assistance"
    >>>
    >>> http://technocrat.net/d/2008/4/16/39631

    >> Why does he hate his grandmother so much?

    > Why are you so dishonest?

    > And why can't you format a signature?

    Another winidiot like Dopez who can't format a proper sig?
    Must be a windoze thing.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed

  8. Re: Linux for grandma ..

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "Doug Mentohl" wrote in message
    >> "Okay, it has been a few months since I have set my 83-year old
    >> grandmother with a desktop PC running Kubuntu 7.10. Just to recap,
    >> she has never used a PC before. She doesn't know Windows or Mac or
    >> Linux"
    >>
    >> "she can handle the basics of Firefox with ease -- and some note
    >> cards. E-mail was the most confusing .. Still, she can now send and
    >> receive e-mail -- including displaying pictures -- without
    >> assistance" http://technocrat.net/d/2008/4/16/39631

    > Why does he hate his grandmother so much?

    Putting Linux on Grandma's computer is elderly abuse.

+ Reply to Thread