Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux - Linux

This is a discussion on Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux - Linux ; http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html "I think it's time to explain a little what all this "glitch-freeness" is about, what made it so tricky to implement, and why this is totally awesome technology" Cool - glitch free audio in the future. I wonder what ...

  1. Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html

    "I think it's time to explain a little what all this "glitch-freeness" is
    about, what made it so tricky to implement, and why this is totally
    awesome technology"

    Cool - glitch free audio in the future. I wonder what they were using in
    COLA?

    --
    XP is a flop and when users are still asking for W98 it shows that they
    aren't all taken in with the MS hype.

  2. Re: Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    Spliffing Micoshaft Fraudster and asstroturfer Hadron wrote on behalf of
    half wits from micoshaft corporation:

    > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html
    >
    > "I think it's time to explain a little what all this "glitch-freeness" is
    > about, what made it so tricky to implement, and why this is totally
    > awesome technology"
    >
    > Cool - glitch free audio in the future. I wonder what they were using in
    > COLA?

    Glitch free audio.

    It might glitch every now and then if you were using it from a virtual
    machine. If that is getting repaired, I'm all for it.

  3. Re: Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html
    >
    > "I think it's time to explain a little what all this "glitch-freeness" is
    > about, what made it so tricky to implement, and why this is totally
    > awesome technology"
    >
    > Cool - glitch free audio in the future. I wonder what they were using in
    > COLA?

    I hope that Microsoft can learn from this development as well.

    Ian

  4. Re: Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    Ian Hilliard writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html
    >>
    >> "I think it's time to explain a little what all this "glitch-freeness" is
    >> about, what made it so tricky to implement, and why this is totally
    >> awesome technology"
    >>
    >> Cool - glitch free audio in the future. I wonder what they were using in
    >> COLA?
    >>

    > I hope that Microsoft can learn from this development as well.
    >
    > Ian

    I'm not sure I understand. Are you really trying to suggest that sound
    in Windows does not work or is as convoluted and messed up as the
    numerous competing subsystems in Linux? If you are then most people
    would b every surprised.

  5. Re: Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:47:09 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html
    >
    > "I think it's time to explain a little what all this "glitch-freeness" is
    > about, what made it so tricky to implement, and why this is totally
    > awesome technology"
    >
    > Cool - glitch free audio in the future. I wonder what they were using in
    > COLA?

    Yet another Linux shortcoming I have been complaining about for years.
    But of course the Linux Loons in COLA have been claiming, for years, that
    Linux audio "just works".
    It doesn't and it never has.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  6. Re: Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:09:01 +0800, Ian Hilliard wrote:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >

    >> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html
    >>
    >> "I think it's time to explain a little what all this "glitch-freeness" is
    >> about, what made it so tricky to implement, and why this is totally
    >> awesome technology"
    >>
    >> Cool - glitch free audio in the future. I wonder what they were using in
    >> COLA?
    >>

    > I hope that Microsoft can learn from this development as well.
    >
    > Ian

    Microsoft doesn't have to learn a thing.
    I can stream dozens of audio tracks in Nuendo, apply effects real time
    without so much as a pop or click.

    Linux?

    Forget it....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    Hadron wrote:

    > Ian Hilliard writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:
    >>

    >>> http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html
    >>>
    >>> "I think it's time to explain a little what all this "glitch-freeness"
    >>> is about, what made it so tricky to implement, and why this is totally
    >>> awesome technology"
    >>>
    >>> Cool - glitch free audio in the future. I wonder what they were using in
    >>> COLA?
    >>>

    >> I hope that Microsoft can learn from this development as well.
    >>
    >> Ian

    > I'm not sure I understand. Are you really trying to suggest that sound
    > in Windows does not work or is as convoluted and messed up as the
    > numerous competing subsystems in Linux? If you are then most people
    > would b every surprised.

    I've had the Windows Sound System foul up more often than I had alsa foul up
    in recent years. As far as I can see, unless you have a small well
    controlled ecosystem, such as Apple has, there are always chances that some
    piece of hardware or another will give some sort of problem. It simply
    comes down to the ability to test all hardware under all circumstances.

    Ian

  8. Re: Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    Ian Hilliard writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Ian Hilliard writes:

    >>> I hope that Microsoft can learn from this development as well.
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> I'm not sure I understand. Are you really trying to suggest that sound
    >> in Windows does not work or is as convoluted and messed up as the
    >> numerous competing subsystems in Linux? If you are then most people
    >> would b every surprised.

    > I've had the Windows Sound System foul up more often than I had alsa foul up
    > in recent years. As far as I can see, unless you have a small well
    > controlled ecosystem, such as Apple has, there are always chances that some
    > piece of hardware or another will give some sort of problem. It simply
    > comes down to the ability to test all hardware under all circumstances.
    >
    > Ian

    I find it hard to believe you. The main issue with Linux is the competing
    standards. There are millions of Windows users. If there were issues
    with sounds we would hear. The last time I had issues with Windows sound
    were the piss poor SB Live drivers back in about 1998.

    Caveat : the new pulse audio suite have corrected MOST of my Linux issues.

    --
    .... but hey, this is Linux, isn't it meant to do infinite loops in 5
    seconds?

  9. Re: Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:27:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Ian Hilliard writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    >>> I'm not sure I understand. Are you really trying to suggest that sound
    >>> in Windows does not work or is as convoluted and messed up as the
    >>> numerous competing subsystems in Linux? If you are then most people
    >>> would b every surprised.

    >> I've had the Windows Sound System foul up more often than I had alsa foul up
    >> in recent years. As far as I can see, unless you have a small well
    >> controlled ecosystem, such as Apple has, there are always chances that some
    >> piece of hardware or another will give some sort of problem. It simply
    >> comes down to the ability to test all hardware under all circumstances.
    >>
    >> Ian

    > I find it hard to believe you. The main issue with Linux is the competing
    > standards. There are millions of Windows users. If there were issues
    > with sounds we would hear. The last time I had issues with Windows sound
    > were the piss poor SB Live drivers back in about 1998.
    >
    > Caveat : the new pulse audio suite have corrected MOST of my Linux issues.

    I don't believe him either....

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 18:27:33 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Ian Hilliard writes:

    >>> I've had the Windows Sound System foul up more often than I had alsa
    >>> foul up in recent years. As far as I can see, unless you have a small
    >>> well controlled ecosystem, such as Apple has, there are always chances
    >>> that some piece of hardware or another will give some sort of problem.
    >>> It simply comes down to the ability to test all hardware under all
    >>> circumstances.
    >>>
    >>> Ian

    >> I find it hard to believe you. The main issue with Linux is the competing
    >> standards. There are millions of Windows users. If there were issues
    >> with sounds we would hear. The last time I had issues with Windows sound
    >> were the piss poor SB Live drivers back in about 1998.
    >>
    >> Caveat : the new pulse audio suite have corrected MOST of my Linux
    >> issues.

    > I don't believe him either....

    I don't really care if you believe me or not. The fact is though that the
    sound system on my company laptop plays up from time to time requiring a
    reboot of the computer. I haven't had any problems with the sound system on
    my own notebook, which is a Tecra M3 running Ubuntu 7.10.

    I can't make any comments about anyone else.

    Ian

  11. Re: Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    On 2008-04-19, Hadron wrote:

    > http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/pulse-glitch-free.html
    >
    > "I think it's time to explain a little what all this "glitch-freeness" is
    > about, what made it so tricky to implement, and why this is totally
    > awesome technology"
    >
    > Cool - glitch free audio in the future. I wonder what they were using in
    > COLA?

    Tell me why I should care.

    Chances are, you don't have a clue what they are talking about
    in that link and similarly have no idea how it's implemented in
    any other OS (like Windows).

    --
    If you think that an 80G disk can hold HUNDRENDS of |||
    hours of DV video then you obviously haven't used iMovie either. / | \

  12. Re: Developers strive for glitch free audio in Linux

    On 2008-04-20, Hadron wrote:
    > Ian Hilliard writes:
    >
    >> Hadron wrote:

    [deletia]

    > I find it hard to believe you. The main issue with Linux is the competing
    > standards. There are millions of Windows users. If there were issues
    > with sounds we would hear. The last time I had issues with Windows sound

    You would have to be actually looking.

    I rather doubt that you are.

    > were the piss poor SB Live drivers back in about 1998.
    >
    > Caveat : the new pulse audio suite have corrected MOST of my Linux issues.

    What "linux issues"?