    was bricked. Had to remove the little battery and put it back.

    Now I'm back up and running, but this is rather unsettling as if this can
    happen at any time, well not good if you're in the middle of something."

    #170 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=17

    Linux literally makes you afraid to use the computer.

  2. Re: Linux: random freeze --> hard boot --> borked BIOS

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 01:34:41 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > "OMG Feisty just randomly froze on my desktop. Nothing would respond. But I
    > could still move the mouse around. But the keyboard wouldn't do anything and
    > I couldn't click anything either. I couldn't restart X server or anything.
    >
    > My only option was to do a hard reboot. But after that my BIOS got borked
    > and nothing would boot at all. Not even Windows. That was scary I thought it
    > was bricked. Had to remove the little battery and put it back.
    >
    > Now I'm back up and running, but this is rather unsettling as if this can
    > happen at any time, well not good if you're in the middle of something."
    >
    > #170 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=412125&page=17
    >

    > Linux literally makes you afraid to use the computer.

    He should consider himself VERY LUCKY because if the bootstrap code in the
    BIOS gets hosed he will not even be able to reload a BIOS file from a
    floppy/USBkey whatever.

    In that case the board is bricked.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb