IT giants in open source for competition, cash

,----[ Quote ]
| Taking an audience question on how big software companies such as Microsoft
| and Oracle are viewing competition from open source, IBM’s Huizenga
| highlighted how all proprietary software companies are seeing more and more
| of their traditional revenue bases challenged by open source. This
| competition, highlighted in a recent study, comes with a growing audience of
| open source users, developers and yes, enterprises that do not pay anyone for
| any software, support or services, yet extend the reach of open source.
| Huizenga later highlighted the ongoing opportunity in open source software,
| referencing how IBM’s investements in Linux, far less than what would be
| invested in proprietary development, continue to pay off hansomely.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensou...petition-cash/

On Microsoft/Novell-type nonesense:

Dual-licensing with patents: It's bound to happen

,----[ Quote ]
| The problem with this sort of distinction (which we and virtually every
| open-source company of which I'm familiar espouses, in terms of a "community"
| and "professional" version) is how easily patent protection could creep into
| the one but not the other. When the open-source world starts selling the same
| FUD that the proprietary world does we have lost.
|
| I care far less about hybrid models that depend on a mixture of proprietary
| extensions and an open-source core, as MySQL is contemplating, than I do
| about hybrid models that are a blend of "open source and very risky!"
| and "proprietary and oh so safe!". If we slip into this sort of a model, open
| source loses its potency. It loses its character. It loses its integrity.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-992...7760&subj=news

Ozzie has just made it clear that intellectual monopolies are part of
Microsoft's perception of OSS. Greedy fools.

Recent:

IBM Takes Stake in Open Source Database Vendor

,----[ Quote ]
| For more than a decade, PostgreSQL has been a cornerstone of the open source
| database market. In recent years, EnterpriseDB has emerged as a leading
| vendor supporting and driving PostgreSQL forward.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/software...le.php/3736336

IBM smacks rivals with 5.0GHz Power6 beast

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/08/ibm_595_water/