Microsoft buys travel search site

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has bought Farecast..
|
| [...]
|
| The Seattle Post-Intelligencer, which broke the story, valued the deal at
| between $75m and $115m.
|
| Farecast's website tells us: "We are committed to using open source
| technologies: Linux/Unix/OS X, Tomcat, Java, JSP, Perl, MySQL, Spring
| Framework, to name a few. Since we have so much data, we use a lot of very
| fast, very large storage solutions. We also crunch a lot of numbers creating
| statistical measures and predictive models.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...buys_farecast/

Microsoft has been buying a lot of companies whose foundation is all FOSS. It
even wants Yahoo. What a shot in the foot.

Related:

Breaking: Newsvine Acquired By Microsoft — What is Microsoft going to do with
the Linux Hosted site they just bought?

| The funny thing is, The site is hosted on Debian Linux...
`----

http://www.tribbleagency.com/?p=383

Top secret: Microsoft's $6 billion open source play

,----[ Quote ]
| This month's announcement by Microsoft to acquire digital marketing
| services firm aQuantive has revealed little on how the companies
| will integrate their IT, but inside information indicates the deal
| may be Redmond's largest commitment to free software.
|
| [...]
|
| Whether the businesses are complementary or not, Microsoft's integration
| work will no doubt involve a lot of open source software used by aQuantive.
|
| Information available from Atlas' Web site indicates the Internet software
| company employs extensive use of open source software including Linux,
| Apache, MySQL, and Solaris.
|
| Software engineers at Atlas' Raleigh office do client/server development in
| C and C++, software maintenance and "scripting", and developing and
| maintaining custom reporting capabilities.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...31;fp;2;fpid;1

It's unofficial: Microsoft bets business on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| What the press statement didn't mention is that Aruba mobility
| controllers run the Linux operating system which Microsoft has
| aggressively targeted as being inferior to Windows as part of
| its "Get the Facts" marketing campaign.
|
| [...]
|
| Pandey's appraisal of Aruba's technology is in stark contrast to
| Microsoft's "Get the Facts" rhetoric which places Windows as a more secure,
| and higher-performing choice over Linux.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.p...96;fp;2;fpid;1

Recent:

Linux on the server sees reliability gains

,----[ Quote ]
| Mainstream Linux distributions for servers have caught up substantially with
| Unix in terms of reliability over the past year, while Windows Server 2003
| downtime has risen by nearly 25 percent, according to a Yankee Group survey. *
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/softwa...?scid=rss_z_nw

Linux, Unix more reliable than Windows

,----[ Quote ]