[News] Microsoft-OOXML Corruption in Norway: New Details Surface - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft-OOXML Corruption in Norway: New Details Surface - Linux ; The Norway Vote - What really happened ,----[ Quote ] | But lo… at this point, the “rules” were changed. The VP asserted that “Ecma | has clearly made steps in the right direction.” The most important thing now | ...

  1. [News] Microsoft-OOXML Corruption in Norway: New Details Surface

    The Norway Vote - What really happened

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | But lo… at this point, the “rules” were changed. The VP asserted that “Ecma
    | has clearly made steps in the right direction.” The most important thing now
    | was to ensure that OOXML came under ISO’s control so that it could
    | be “further improved”. However, the committee was not allowed to discuss
    | this.
    |
    | The VP thereupon declared that there was no consensus, so the decision
    | would be taken by Standard Norway.
    |

    | Halfway through the proceedings, a committee member had asked for (and
    | received) assurance that the Chairman would take part in the final decision,
    | as he had for the DIS vote back in August. It now transpired that the BRM
    | participants had also been invited to stay behind. 23 people were therefore
    | dismissed and we were down to seven. In addition to Standard Norway’s three,
    | there were four “experts”: Microsoft Norway’s chief lobbyist, a guy from
    | StatoilHydro (national oil company; big MS Office user), a K185 old-timer,
    | and me. In one fell swoop the balance of forces had changed from 80/20 to
    | 50/50 and the remaining experts discussed back and forth for 20 minutes or so
    | without reaching any agreement.
    |
    | The VP thereupon declared that there was still no consensus, so the
    | decision would be taken by Standard Norway.
    |

    | The experts were dismissed and the VP asked the opinion of the Secretary (who
    | said “Yes”) and the JTC1 rep (who said “No”).
    |
    | The VP thereupon declared that there was still no consensus, so the
    | decision would be taken by him.
    |

    | And his decision was to vote Yes.
    |
    | So this one bureaucrat, a man who by his own admission had no understanding
    | of the technical issues, had chosen to ignore the advice of his Chairman, of
    | 80% of his technical experts, and of 100% of the K185 old-timers. For the
    | Chairman, only one course of action was possible.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The meeting was a farce and the result was a scandal. But it’s not over yet,
    | and one thing is clear: the “little one” is unfit to represent the interests
    | of Norwegian users. It’s time he was told, “Roll over, roll over…”
    `----

    http://topicmaps.wordpress.com/2008/...ally-happened/

    Recent:

    Computer experts stage street protest in Oslo against Microsoft document format
    as standard

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | OSLO, Norway: Roughly 60 data experts staged a rare and noisy street
    | demonstration in downtown Oslo on Wednesday to protest the adoption of
    | Microsoft Corp.'s document format as an international standard and against
    | Norway voting for the move. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | He claimed the committee ignored the advice of the vast majority of the
    | Nordic nation's software experts, was pressured by Microsoft and
    | displayed "scandalous behavior." *
    `----

    http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...onstration.php

    Photos: http://flickr.com/groups/750232@N22/pool/

    OOXML triggers demonstration in Norway: "Let's throw OOXML out of ISO"

    http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-52412...xml-out-of-iso

    Demonstration outside ISO conference

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Steve Pepper, the former Chairman of the Norwegian committee responsible for
    | deciding the Norwegian vote on OOXML, is calling for a demonstration to take
    | place outside the building where SC34, the ISO committee that has been landed
    | with OOXML, is holding its spring plenary. *
    |
    | The demonstration will take place outside Håndverkeren, Rosenkrantzgate 7,
    | Oslo, Norway, on Wednesday April 9 at 12.00. Among the slogans are:
    |
    | * No to ISO approval of OOXML!
    | * Defend the integrity of ISO!
    | * Microsoft: Support ODF!
    | * Ecma: Withdraw OOXML!
    | * Norway must say no to OOXML!
    `----

    http://blogs.freecode.no/isene/2008/...so-conference/

    2008-04 OOXML irregularities in Norway

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | [...]
    |
    | * * * 2007: committee stuffing: the NS/K 185 committee grew from 6-7 persons
    | * * to 30 persons due to the OOXML case...
    `----

    http://wiki.efn.no/2008-04_OOXML_irr...ties_in_Norway

    MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Commission, which has not responded yet, is allowed a few weeks to reply.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._projects.html

    EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
    | distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
    | the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
    | MEP Marco Cappato. *
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

    Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

    Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

    Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

    EC probes OOXML standards-setting process

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A spokesman for the European Commissioner for Competition, Neelie Kroes, told
    | The Register that regulators were continuing to scrutinise interoperability
    | issues related to Microsoft’s products following complaints from the
    | Committee for Interoperable Systems (ECIS) group. *
    |
    | As part of that process, the EC formally contacted a number of national
    | standards bodies, including the Norwegian Standards Institute (NSI),
    | requesting more details about possible irregularities in the OOXML
    | standardisation process. *
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | “It must be stressed that it is not the Commission's intention to influence
    | the outcome of this process, but the Commission considers it essential to
    | ensure that European competition law is not violated in the course of the
    | standard setting process,” he said in an email to El Reg. *
    |
    | In January the EC began formal anti-trust probes against Microsoft in two
    | cases where it was alleged that the multinational firm had abused its strong
    | market position. As part of the investigation into the first case, the
    | Commission said that it would scrutinise OOXML on the grounds that the
    | specification doesn't work with those of competitors. * *
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...stigation_iso/

    Related:

    EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I hope they think to investigate the smear campaigns that seem to always
    | happen to anyone on the other side from Microsoft. What happened to Peter
    | Quinn was by no means unique. *
    `----

    Norway and OOXML

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | There is now a report from Norway on how Microsoft rallied its partners to
    | try to get a favorable vote on MSOOXML.
    `----

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft-OOXML Corruption in Norway: New Details Surface

    > The Norway Vote - What really happened

    A Microsoft OOXML corruption eruption! What a surprise.

    I'm going to have to invent a new term for Microsoft: Business Scientologists

    Amazing. A corporation run as a religion.

    --
    The best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to
    study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to

+ Reply to Thread