[News] GNU/Linux Grows Fast on Portable PCs - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU/Linux Grows Fast on Portable PCs - Linux ; Linux looms large on portables ,----[ Quote ] | So why is Linux suddenly popular on the desktop, albeit on ultraportables? | There are many reasons not the least of which is that Microsoft’s dropped the | ball with Vista ...

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Grows Fast on Portable PCs

    Linux looms large on portables

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | So why is Linux suddenly popular on the desktop, albeit on ultraportables?
    | There are many reasons not the least of which is that Microsoft’s dropped the
    | ball with Vista which is too humongous to run successfully on ultraportables
    | that tend to be stripped down in terms of processing power, memory and
    | storage.
    `----

    http://www.expresscomputeronline.com...1/edit01.shtml

    Yesterday:

    Linux-based diskless notebook costs under $300

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A British Columbia-based startup called InkMedia announced an under-$300
    | notebook that runs embedded Linux. Based on a Via chip, the Ink Mobile
    | Computer (Ink MC) depends on flash-based storage and offers an 8.6-inch SVGA
    | display, four USB slots, Ethernet, and WiFi. *
    `----

    Recent:

    Spanish low-cost notebook including OpenOffice.org

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to this Spanish article, yet another low-cost notebook including a
    | Fedora-based Linux distro as well as OpenOffice.org will be sold for about
    | 300 Euro. *
    `----

    http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/sp...book_including

    Notebooks. With Linux. Pre-installed.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here's a very short list of vendors who sell Linux notebooks. In no
    | particular order, here are five:
    |
    | # RedSeven PCs
    | # Emperor Linux
    | # Linux Certified
    | # R-Cubed Technologies
    | # System 76
    | # Oh, and here's a sixth, Dell Computers
    `----

    http://www.marcelgagne.com/node/559

    Dutch UMPC runs Ubuntu Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Dutch integrator Van Der Led (VDL) Designs has announced a clone of the Asus
    | Eee PC ultra-mini PC (UMPC) notebook. The WiFi-enabled "Jisus" UMPC is
    | equipped with a Chinese-made 1GHz Loongson CPU, has an 8.9-inch display, and
    | runs Ubuntu Linux. *
    `----

    PC Makers Race to Market With Low-Cost 'Netbooks'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The University of Chicago undergraduate recently bought an Eee PC, a low-end
    | laptop from Taiwan's Asustek Computer Inc. that starts at $299. The device
    | has a small screen, a cramped keyboard, no hard drive and was introduced with
    | Linux rather than Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system -- and Asustek
    | can't make enough of them. * *
    `----

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1207...googlenews_wsj

    ZaReason's MegaLap is a desktop replacement with an Ubuntu twist

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MegaLap, a notebook computer from ZaReason, a company that builds and sells
    | computer systems that run Ubuntu, is bound to give its owner bragging rights
    | at any LAN party, especially with how loud the system can get. It has the
    | hallmarks of on-the-go computing, while performing comparably to a desktop
    | gaming system. * *
    `----

    http://www.linux.com/feature/130446

    Feeling the heat at Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be? *

    | to go with that.
    `----

    Microsoft's SEC:

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A prominent example of open source software is the Linux operating system...
    | To the extent open source software gains increasing market acceptance, sales
    | of our products may decline, we may have to reduce the prices we charge for
    | our products, and revenue and operating margins may consequently decline. *
    `----

    http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Grows Fast on Portable PCs

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 23:26:26 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Linux looms large on portables

    And Linux tanks on the desktop according to Redhat.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Grows Fast on Portable PCs

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:21:41 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 23:26:26 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Linux looms large on portables

    > And Linux tanks on the desktop according to Redhat.

    .... and flatfish is clueless.

    --
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread