Action urged to keep net neutral

,----[ Quote ]
| Professor Lawrence Lessig was speaking at a public meeting to debate the
| tactics some net firms use to manage data traffic at busy times.
|
| He said the Federal Communications Committee (FCC) should act to keep all net
| traffic flowing equally.
`----

There's another big world of corruption there. Freedom of speech or sharing
knowledge is increasingly prohibited.

Recent:

Comcast Sets its Sights on Peer to Peer Apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Comcast describes the solution it proposes as "self regulation." It's a term
| that's been applied in the past to the film, television, music, and videogame
| industries, each of which have applied voluntary ratings to keep adult-themed
| material out of the hands of minors. *
|
| But critics argue that what Comcast really wants bears little resemblance to
| the warning labels placed on entertainment content. Instead, they say,
| Comcast is looking for a way to justify the practice of throttling or
| blocking outright any traffic coming from P2P applications, something they
| allege the broadband provider has been doing for the last year. * *
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...peer_apps.html
http://tinyurl.com/6j5kht

Related:

Comcast, Microsoft team up to serve smaller firms

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's move to offer the online software suite appears designed to
| compete with a similar offering from rival Google Inc (GOOG.O: Quote,
| Profile, Research) known as Google Apps. *
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marke...0071114?rpc=44

Should AT&T police the Internet?

,----[ Quote ]
| A decade after the government said that AT&T and other service providers
| don't have to police their networks for pirated content, the
| telecommunications giant is voluntarily looking for ways to play traffic cop. *
`----

http://www.news.com/Should-ATT-polic...0-20&subj=news

AT&T admits it censored other bands

| It looks like Pearl Jam isn't the only band that has had its politically
| charged comments bleeped from concerts streamed from AT&T's Blue Room Web
| site. *
|
| [...]
|
| AT&T quickly apologized for the incident and blamed the company that handles
| the Webcasting for performances on Blue Room.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-975...=2547-1_3-0-20

Customers can sue AT&T, after all

,----[ Quote ]
| A federal court in San Francisco has decided that AT&T's wireless contract
| is "unconscionable".
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08...ntract_clause/

AT&T takes another step towards filtered network with investment in Vobile

,----[ Quote ]
| AT&T announced earlier this year that was planning to introduce content
| filtering of some sort for all video passing across its network. Exactly what
| AT&T was thinking remained unclear: would the company truly attempt to
| reassemble the fragments of peer-to-peer transmissions, then extract video
| from all sorts of different codecs, then attempt to match it-in real time-to
| some database of copyrighted works? Would such a thing even be possible? * *
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...in-vobile.html
http://tinyurl.com/3a998z

When Networks Collide: AT&T suddenly doesn't like Apple so much.

,----[ Quote ]
| What I believe is troubling the relationship between AT&T and Apple is the
| upcoming auction for 700-MHz wireless spectrum and AT&T's discovery that --
| as I have predicted for weeks -- Apple will be joining Google in bidding.
| AT&T thought its five-year "exclusive" iPhone agreement with Apple would have
| precluded such a bid, but that just shows how poorly Randall Stephenson
| understood Steve Jobs. Steve always hurts his friends to see how much they
| really love him, so AT&T probably should have expected this kind of corporate
| body blow. * * *
`----

http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2...29_003521.html

Hey, AT&T, What's the Value of a Closed Network Again?

,----[ Quote ]
| Closed networks, its proponents maintain, offer a trade-off. Individuals or
| outside developers can't make any changes or improvements to it. But since
| the network and its applications are controlled at a single source,
| individuals are supposed to get an easier experience in which they don't have
| to think about the network, just what they're doing on it. Trust the network. * *
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20...t_whats_t.html

How AT&T chewed up, and spat out Net Neutrality

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interview with Business Week in October 2005, Whitacre said
| he thought taking over BellSouth would be rejected by the FCC.
| He also made another memorable comment that began the process
| which culminated in the FCC's approval in December.
`----

http://www.theregister.com/2007/01/1...acre_wins_big/

Comcast admits paying attendees at FCC hearing

,----[ Quote ]
| Comcast Corp. admitted yesterday that it paid people to attend a government
| hearing. Company critics say the freelance attendees were there to crowd them
| out; Comcast says they were merely saving seats for employees. *
`----

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/front...C_hearing.html

Comcast stacked Net Neutrality meeting

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...net-neutrality

Allegations fly in FCC hearing aftermath

,----[ Quote ]
| Comcast Corp. on Tuesday acknowledged hiring people to fill seats before the
| start of a contentious federal hearing on how the company manages its
| broadband network, allowing its employees to take those seats when the
| filled-to-capacity hearing started. *
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080227/...net_regulation

US senator accuses FCC of rigging 700MHz auction

,----[ Quote ]
| Wireless watchers are still waiting for the final results of the The Great
| American Wireless Auction, but that hasn't stopped at least one US Senator
| from dubbing the FCC's $20bn bid-off "a disaster". *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02...00mhz_auction/

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Sk0t, an ex-administrator of the EliteTorrents BitTorrent tracker is to have
| his internet connection forcibly monitored by the US Government. If that
| wasn’t bad enough, the monitoring software is Windows based - which means he
| is being forced to ditch Linux - or face being barred from the internet. *
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-a...to-dump-linux/

Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

,----[ Quote ]
| Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
| to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
| can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
| the transmission of future packets. *
|
| According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
| sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
| from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection. *
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

Comcast Isn’t Net Neutral; Are They Liars, Too?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://mashable.com/2007/10/26/comca...hey-liars-too/