Sinclair's Syndrome

,----[ Quote ]
| For ISO, in a public relations pitch, to blithely suggest that several
| thousand page Fast Tracks are "not unusual" shows an audacious disregard for
| the truth and a lack of respect for a public that is looking for ISO to
| correct its errors, not blow smoke at them in a revisionist attempt to
| portray the DIS 29500 approval process as normal, acceptable or even
| legitimate. We should expect better from ISO and we should express
| disappointment in them when they let us down in our reasonable expectations
| of honesty. We don't expect this from Ecma. We don't expect this from
| Microsoft. But we should expect this from ISO.
`----

http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/04/...-syndrome.html

But wait. It gets worse.

It’s Almost Official: ISO is Controlled by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s almost as though the man handling OOXML at ISO and the BSI is a
| Microsoft pawn. And he’s probably not alone according to the previous
| convenor who fled to retire. ISO should come out of its bunker and make some
| confessions already. It’s its duty as a body that used to thrive in trust and
| integrity before getting captured by a predatory vendor.
`----

http://boycottnovell.com/2008/04/18/...osoft-bsi-iso/

Legal action seems to be on its way. Not yet though.

Last week:

ISO Fantasy

,----[ Quote ]
| What OOXML Is · The ISO process, brutal and corrupt as it was, has been
| * * * * * * * * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| covered to death by everyone. Its output, soon to be known as ISO/IEC 29500,
| differs from ECMA-376 in two ways. ¶ *
|
| [...]
|
| What Microsoft really wanted was that ISO stamp of approval to use as a
| marketing tool. And just like your mother told you, when they get what they
| want and have their way with you, they’re probably not gonna call you in the
| morning. *
`----

http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/When/200x/2008/04/15/OOXML

How Microsoft Will Play the ISO Card

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the arguments adduced in favour of making OOXML an ISO standard was
| that it would place control of the former in the hands of an independent ISO
| group, which was a much better situation than the present one. *
|
| Anyone who believes this has clearly learned nothing from Microsoft's history
| of unremitting subversion of practically every independent standard it has
| been involved with. Microsoft will continue to develop OOXML as it wishes,
| taking only token notice of anything the ISO committee says. It will,
| however, bask in the glory of the ISO approval (assuming it stands after the
| various challenges currently being made to it), irrespective of the fact that
| its own products won't support the standard properly. * * *
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=713&blogid=14

Protest in front of Town Hall for Document Freedom

,----[ Quote ]
| The protest organized by FSUG and FCI seems to have attracted a lot of
| deserved attention, despite the hurried execution.
`----

http://hpnadig.net/blog/Protest-for-Document-Freedom

Techies protest proprietary standards; seek policy

,----[ Quote ]
| Ever since the International Standardisation Organisation (ISO) vote on April
| 2 adopted Microsoft’s Office Open XML (OOXML) as a document standard, techie
| blogs and websites have been inundated with posts and articles voicing their
| opposition to proprietary software and technical issues with the new
| standard.
`----

http://www.hindu.com/2008/04/15/stor...1554380500.htm

Recent:

Software wars

,----[ Quote ]
| Allegations of committee-stuffing, the outcome of votes overridden by
| political appointees, a final decision that many involved consider tainted:
| this may sound like a discredited election in some third world country. But
| it is actually a description of an ugly fight over international technical
| standards that wrapped up this week. Microsoft came out on top, but at the
| cost of tarnishing its reputation and the credibility of an important
| back-room process that oils the wheels of many global industries. * * *
`----

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/c9743360-01a...duk.com%2Ftool

Microsoft Plummets, Retail Falls While Beauty Gains in CoreBrand 2007 Brand
Power Rankings

,----[ Quote ]
| The annual "CoreBrand Brand Power 100" Branding Index(R) of 1,200 US
| corporations ranks Coca-Cola Company and Johnson & Johnson at #1 and #2
| respectively, unchanged since 2004. Meanwhile, Microsoft's corporate brand
| declined in stunning fashion over the past four years, falling from 11 in
| 2004 to 59 in 2007 Microsoft, a decline of 48 places! * *
`----

http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release.do?id=834308

Computer experts stage street protest in Oslo against Microsoft document format
as standard

,----[ Quote ]
| OSLO, Norway: Roughly 60 data experts staged a rare and noisy street
| demonstration in downtown Oslo on Wednesday to protest the adoption of
| Microsoft Corp.'s document format as an international standard and against
| Norway voting for the move. *
|
| [...]
|
| He claimed the committee ignored the advice of the vast majority of the
| Nordic nation's software experts, was pressured by Microsoft and
| displayed "scandalous behavior." *
`----

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/...onstration.php

Photos: http://flickr.com/groups/750232@N22/pool/

OOXML triggers demonstration in Norway: "Let's throw OOXML out of ISO"

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-52412...xml-out-of-iso

Related:

Martin Bryan: we are getting “standardization by corporation”

,----[ Quote ]
| A November informative report of Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC JTC1/SC34
| WG1 highlights the fallout of the ECMA-376 fast-track process for ISO. He
| says he is 'glad to be retiring before the situation becomes impossible' *
|
| [...]
|
| In what is an astonishingly outspoken report, Martin Bryan, Convenor, ISO/IEC
| JTC1/SC34 WG1 has given us insight into the total mess that Microsoft/ECMA
| have caused during their scandalous, underhand and unremitting attempts to
| get - what is a very poorly written specification {i.e. DIS 29500 aka OOXML,
| AR} - approved as an ISO standard. … * *
`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-30107...by-corporation

Dysfunctional ISO - Courtesy of Microsoft

http://opendotdotdot.blogspot.com/20...microsoft.html

Microsoft accused of stacking ISO committee

| In a memo sent following his last meeting as head of the working group on
| WG1, which is handling Microsoft’s application to make the Word format an ISO
| standard as ECMA 376, outgoing Governor Martin Bryan (above), an expert on
| SGML and XML, accused the company of stacking his group. *
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1777

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
`----