[News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council - Linux ; London council dumps Microsoft, may go open source instead ,----[ Quote ] | NEWHAM LONDON Borough Council has scrapped the controversial 10-year | Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) it signed with Microsoft in 2004 and drawn | up a new agreement ...

  1. [News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council

    London council dumps Microsoft, may go open source instead

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | NEWHAM LONDON Borough Council has scrapped the controversial 10-year
    | Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) it signed with Microsoft in 2004 and drawn
    | up a new agreement with a new set of deliverables.
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ship-flounders

    Big ouch. /Even/ in the UK, which is close to Microsoft.

    Last week:

    EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
    | distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
    | the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
    | MEP Marco Cappato. ¬*
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

    Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

    Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

    Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

    MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Commission, which has not responded yet, is allowed a few weeks to reply.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._projects.html

    Government faces crunch on Microsoft mega-deal

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Rumour has it that Microsoft hasn't been feeling appreciated in the public
    | sector, thinking its customers don't know what a good deal they've been
    | getting since the MOU was first negotiated in 2002. BECTA, the procurement
    | quango for the education sector, has recommended schools don't upgrade to
    | Microsoft Vista and Office 2007. ¬* ¬*
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "There's a big anti-Microsoft lobby growing on the green agenda" he said,
    | especially among local councils who were beginning to realise that PC's were
    | power hungry and expensive to maintain. They were taking interest in
    | think-client computers instead. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...unch-microsoft

    Recent:

    UK: Major cost reduction result of Bristol's switch to Open Standards

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Bristol City Council's switch to StarOffice in 2005 has led to a major
    | reduction of IT costs, says Gavin Beckett, the council's ICT Strategy
    | manager. ¬*
    |
    | StarOffice is Sun Microsystems' proprietary suite of office applications,
    | which is based on the Open Source OpenOffice. In 2006 Bristol took the
    | further step of adopting the ISO-approved Open Document Format (ODF). ¬*
    |
    | Speaking at a conference on ODF in the Netherlands last month, Beckett said
    | that implementing StarOffice for 5,500 desktops in Bristol saved 1.1 million
    | GBP (1.4 million euro) in comparison to the total cost of implementing
    | Microsoft Office. "The licences for StarOffice cost us 186,000 GBP (243,000
    | euro), in comparison to 1.4 million GBP (1.8 million euro) for MS Office." ¬* ¬*
    |
    | These major savings were offset slightly by extra time needed for
    | implementing StarOffice. Implementation cost the city council 484,000 GBP
    | (632,000 euro), double the estimate for MS Office. This was due to document
    | conversion and training, said the IT Strategy manager. Explaining and
    | troubleshooting the new office applications took several months more than
    | planned. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7409

    Is Becta loosening Microsoft's grip on UK schools?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Capita-SIMS, the powerful and dominant schools database provider, has been
    | instructed by Becta to comply with the new interoperability framework. This
    | move potentially opens up a large and growing market to solutions based on
    | Open Source databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL. ¬*
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Moving away from Microsoft SQL
    |
    | The school database market has been a closed shop for many years. Products
    | from Capita and Serco, both based on MS-SQL, account for well over 90% of
    | market share. In the case of Capita-SIMS.net, not only does it use Microsoft
    | SQL , requires schools to use MS Office 2003 and has a MS IIS web server but
    | it also has a non-interoperable API. ¬* ¬*
    `----

    http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/is-...k-schools.html

    Interview: Tim Pearson, CEO at RM plc on interoperability and software patents

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | John Spencer talks to Tim Pearson Chief Executive of RM. RM is the largest
    | most successful supplier of ICT to the UK education market and, for good
    | measure, is British too. Tim has been there from the start and so is really
    | now Mr RM. This autumn he gave the school ICT world a jolt when RM announced
    | its Asus miniBook. It retails to schools for only £169 and runs Open Source
    | software throughout. The miniBook has preceded an avalanche of new products
    | and new thinking. ¬* ¬* ¬*
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | More seriously, it's been hard to forecast when we have no real experience
    | selling at this price point before, neither have we ever sold a machine with
    | a Linux-based client OS before. ¬*
    `----

    http://www.siriusit.co.uk/myblog/is-...k-schools.html

    Lawmaker blasts U.K. government on Microsoft policy

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | "A member of Parliament of the United Kingdom has launched a stinging
    | attack on the U.K. government's IT strategy, saying that it has given
    | Microsoft too much control.
    |
    | John Pugh, who is a member of Parliament, or MP, for Southport and a
    | member of the Public Accounts Committee, was speaking in an
    | adjournment debate on Tuesday that he had called. The aim of the
    | debate, he said, was to explore the alternatives to using Microsoft
    | software, including open source."
    |
    | [...]
    `----

    http://www.news.com/Lawmaker-blasts-...3-6212721.html
    http://tinyurl.com/2ashm2

    Interview with Richard M. Stallman

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It is important to know this because we will always face pressure, from those
    | who are powerful and would like to take away our freedom, to surrender our
    | freedom‚ÄĒand they frequently offer us something attractive in exchange. For
    | instance, B’liar wanted to abolish the Rights of Englishmen, and to serve his
    | American master, Bush, faithfully; so he offered Britons ‚Äúprotection‚ÄĚ from
    | this or that, plus the imagined idea that he influences his master on their
    | behalf through the ‚Äúspecial relationship‚ÄĚ. ¬* ¬* ¬*
    | ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬* ¬*^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/...chard_stallman

  2. Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > London council dumps Microsoft, may go open source instead
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> NEWHAM LONDON Borough Council has scrapped the controversial
    >> 10-year Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) it signed with
    >> Microsoft in 2004 and drawn up a new agreement with a new
    >> set of deliverables.

    > `----

    The tide has turned ....

    The council decided Microsoft's flagship government contract
    failed to demonstrate its value, four years after it was signed.

    The revelation will be a boon to the open source movement after
    years of being faced down in the public sector by the shining
    example of Newham, which chose Microsoft over open source on the
    strength of a cut-rate deal and a report commissioned by the
    vendor itself.

    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ship-flounders
    >
    > Big ouch. /Even/ in the UK, which is close to Microsoft. Last week:
    >
    > EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use
    >> of GNU/Linux distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and
    >> other Open Source applications, the British MEP James
    >> Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian MEP
    >> Marco Cappato.

    > `----
    >
    > http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

    This echoes my point exactly. The best way to overcome FUD is to
    experience the software. I think I am seeing a paradigm shift
    here, in spite of the troll whinings that Linux only has a 0.6%
    market presence, that OpenOffice does not stack up to Microsoft
    (both are pure nonsense).

    Linux has already caught quite a few eyes, and everyone so far is
    impressed with her looks and performance. "Demonstration" (not
    really demonstration because they are actual implementations)
    projects throughout Europe and world include US have shown that
    Linux is able to very easily take the place of Microsoft
    operating systems. No longer does one have to remain sole source.

    --
    HPT

  3. Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 07:47:04 -0600, High Plains Thumper wrote:

    > I think I am seeing a paradigm shift
    > here...

    I'll give you a free business tip Schestowitz.
    Don't EVER use the word *paradigm* in a serious business discussion.

    It's just so, 80's if you get my drift...

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council

    High Plains Thumper espoused:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> London council dumps Microsoft, may go open source instead
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> NEWHAM LONDON Borough Council has scrapped the controversial
    >>> 10-year Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) it signed with
    >>> Microsoft in 2004 and drawn up a new agreement with a new
    >>> set of deliverables.

    >> `----

    > The tide has turned ....
    >

    > The council decided Microsoft's flagship government contract
    > failed to demonstrate its value, four years after it was signed.
    >
    > The revelation will be a boon to the open source movement after
    > years of being faced down in the public sector by the shining
    > example of Newham, which chose Microsoft over open source on the
    > strength of a cut-rate deal and a report commissioned by the
    > vendor itself.

    I think that the national audit office should look into the practice
    of using vendor-funded studies to make purchasing decisions. In no
    possible way could that be seen as being reasonable, fair or open.
    These things should really be going out to tender, anyway.

    I hope that the people at Newham who were behind this have to find another
    job, although I suspect that they're already distancing themselves from
    it rapidly with "ooh, but it wasn't my fault, the vendor lied to me"
    and similar.

    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ship-flounders
    >>
    >> Big ouch. /Even/ in the UK, which is close to Microsoft. Last week:
    >>
    >> EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use
    >>> of GNU/Linux distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and
    >>> other Open Source applications, the British MEP James
    >>> Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian MEP
    >>> Marco Cappato.

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

    > This echoes my point exactly. The best way to overcome FUD is to
    > experience the software. I think I am seeing a paradigm shift
    > here, in spite of the troll whinings that Linux only has a 0.6%
    > market presence, that OpenOffice does not stack up to Microsoft
    > (both are pure nonsense).

    I quite agree. The amount of interest I get in my N800 in pretty much
    every meeting I go to now is amazing.

    Yesterday, I video streamed (gizmo, google mail) to a colleague a 2 hour
    meeting from my N800 which he had been unable to attend. Audio was done
    on a phone line, and video over a local wifi link and down to his PC.
    He had local copies of slides in use. He said it was just like being
    there! I took him around and introduced him to everyone in the meeting
    at the start, and then at the Q&A bit at the end, held him up so that
    people could see him as he asked his questions. It worked amazingly
    well for everyone.

    This new generation of ultra-portable devices, coupled with wireless
    connections and foss is creating all kinds of new opportunities, ways of
    doing things.

    > Linux has already caught quite a few eyes, and everyone so far is
    > impressed with her looks and performance. "Demonstration" (not
    > really demonstration because they are actual implementations)
    > projects throughout Europe and world include US have shown that
    > Linux is able to very easily take the place of Microsoft
    > operating systems. No longer does one have to remain sole source.

    Microsoft should never have been allowed to build their monopoly in the
    first place. What is most surprising is that the monopolies authorities
    across the world have taken so /little/ action over this. One must be
    suspicious as to why.

    >> Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?
    >>
    >> http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14
    >>
    >> Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government
    >> contracts
    >>
    >> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks
    >>
    >> Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract
    >> awarding procedure
    >>
    >> http://www.heise.de/english/newstick...338/from/rss09

    I think that Microsoft should be excluded, at least until there is a
    demonstrable > 50% of ICT needs being served by non-Microsoft solutions.
    The needs should be segmented into desktop, mobility, server, networking
    and so on, and we should expect to see no more than 50% dependency on
    one vendor anywhere.

    Linux itself is free, of course, however, the support contracts can
    easily be split across several companies in order to ensure that there
    is a fair and equitable system in place.

    Once we're at a point where it can be shown, without any doubt, that
    Microsoft command no more than 49% of any segment of EU government ICT
    needs, then the question of allowing them to tender should be
    re-addressed.

  5. Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council

    ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 23 April 2008 12:18 : \____

    > High Plains Thumper espoused:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>
    >>> London council dumps Microsoft, may go open source instead
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----

    >> The tide has turned ....
    >>

    >> The council decided Microsoft's flagship government contract
    >> failed to demonstrate its value, four years after it was signed.
    >>
    >> The revelation will be a boon to the open source movement after
    >> years of being faced down in the public sector by the shining
    >> example of Newham, which chose Microsoft over open source on the
    >> strength of a cut-rate deal and a report commissioned by the
    >> vendor itself.
    >>

    > I think that the national audit office should look into the practice
    > of using vendor-funded studies to make purchasing decisions.

    Have you seen *this* followup from the INQ yet?

    Microsoft Shillcosystem in the UK Cites Own Studies for Verification to Exclude
    FOSS

    Newham has a cow over Microsoft MOU

    | However, Newham has supplied the INQUIRER with internal studies that it says
    | do demonstrate that its decision to commit to Microsoft was justified. The
    | studies were performed by Socitm, a private public sector consulting firm of
    | which Newham COI Steele is a vice president. the INQUIRER will report on
    | these findings in due course. ¬* ¬*
    |
    | Meanwhile, the original MOU is enlightening. As well as claiming the deal
    | would enable Newham to achieve high rankings in Audit Commission assessments,
    | it committed Newham to moving all "competitive technology" to Microsoft,
    | regardless of the feasibility of such a move. ¬*
    |
    | It also required Steele to promote Microsoft software.
    |
    | See attached file: Memorandum of Understanding.doc
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...m-council-goes

    Smells like a good corruption, especially if you join this with other known
    facts.

    Refs in <10527827.y24rQDqObA@schestowitz.com>

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Useless fact: the buttocks is the largest muscle
    run-level 2 2008-04-15 01:48 last=

  6. Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Smells like a good corruption, especially if you join this with other
    > known facts.

    When I see a rabid MS-hater like you putting MS technologies on his resume,
    I smell the stink of hypocrisy and corruption.

    What are you hiding, Spamowitz?

  7. Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council

    >Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    Another lying headline. And surprise - all the "advocates" let it slide.

  8. Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:51:43 -0400, DFS wrote:

    >>Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Another lying headline. And surprise - all the "advocates" let it slide.

    Of course...

    Seeding or indexing Google, that is what they are all about.
    Schestowitz gets paid to do it.
    The others give it away following him around like some deranged pied piper.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2008 09:47:04 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >
    >> Smells like a good corruption, especially if you join this with other
    >> known facts.

    > When I see a rabid MS-hater like you putting MS technologies on his resume,
    > I smell the stink of hypocrisy and corruption.
    >
    > What are you hiding, Spamowitz?

    His brains?
    I haven't seen any sign of them.
    Have you?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  10. Re: [News] Microsoft Loses Grip in London, Dumped by City Council

    Roy Schestowitz espoused:
    > ____/ Mark Kent on Wednesday 23 April 2008 12:18 : \____
    >
    >> High Plains Thumper espoused:

    >>> The tide has turned ....
    >>>

    >>> The council decided Microsoft's flagship government contract
    >>> failed to demonstrate its value, four years after it was signed.
    >>>
    >>> The revelation will be a boon to the open source movement after
    >>> years of being faced down in the public sector by the shining
    >>> example of Newham, which chose Microsoft over open source on the
    >>> strength of a cut-rate deal and a report commissioned by the
    >>> vendor itself.
    >>>

    >> I think that the national audit office should look into the practice
    >> of using vendor-funded studies to make purchasing decisions.

    > Have you seen *this* followup from the INQ yet?
    >
    > Microsoft Shillcosystem in the UK Cites Own Studies for Verification to Exclude
    > FOSS
    >
    > Newham has a cow over Microsoft MOU

    >| However, Newham has supplied the INQUIRER with internal studies that it says
    >| do demonstrate that its decision to commit to Microsoft was justified. The
    >| studies were performed by Socitm, a private public sector consulting firm of
    >| which Newham COI Steele is a vice president. the INQUIRER will report on
    >| these findings in due course. * *
    >|
    >| Meanwhile, the original MOU is enlightening. As well as claiming the deal
    >| would enable Newham to achieve high rankings in Audit Commission assessments,
    >| it committed Newham to moving all "competitive technology" to Microsoft,
    >| regardless of the feasibility of such a move. *
    >|
    >| It also required Steele to promote Microsoft software.
    >|
    >| See attached file: Memorandum of Understanding.doc
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...m-council-goes
    >
    > Smells like a good corruption, especially if you join this with other known
    > facts.
    >
    > Refs in <10527827.y24rQDqObA@schestowitz.com>

    Good God! Total corruption! Amazing. How on earth do these people
    manage to stay in a job? That should go to court, to my mind.