Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide a practical alternative to Microsoft Windows." - Linux

This is a discussion on Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide a practical alternative to Microsoft Windows." - Linux ; http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37003/140/ Red Hat nixes desktop plans, cites Microsoft's dominance Friday, April 18, 2008 03:45 Raleigh (NC) - Red Hat is canceling its plans for a desktop operating system. The company's desktop team cites a dominant vendor (aka Microsoft) as the ...

  1. Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide a practical alternative to Microsoft Windows."

    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37003/140/

    Red Hat nixes desktop plans, cites Microsoft's dominance
    Friday, April 18, 2008 03:45

    Raleigh (NC) - Red Hat is canceling its plans for a desktop operating
    system. The company's desktop team cites a dominant vendor (aka Microsoft)
    as the main obstacle to such an OS. Red Hat will still develop a
    light-weight desktop OS for emerging markets.

    And it seems Red Hat has learned something from all the failed attempts at
    cracking Microsoft's dominance in the past. Later in the blog post, the
    team said, "Building a sustainable business around the Linux desktop is
    tough, and history is littered with example efforts that have either failed
    outright, are stalled or are run as charities." - Yikes, talk about being
    spooked by the Redmond giant.

  2. Re: Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide a practicalalternative to Microsoft Windows."

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:09:04 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37003/140/

    The "quote" in the Subject is more accurately given as:

    Redhat admits that some people believe modern Linux desktops don't
    provide a practical alternative to Microsoft Windows.

  3. Re: Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide a practical alternative to Microsoft Windows."

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:IOSdnemtWYs2V5XVnZ2dnUVZ_urinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37003/140/
    >>

    >> Red Hat nixes desktop plans, cites Microsoft's dominance
    >> Friday, April 18, 2008 03:45
    >>
    >> Raleigh (NC) - Red Hat is canceling its plans for a desktop operating
    >> system. The company's desktop team cites a dominant vendor (aka
    >> Microsoft) as the main obstacle to such an OS. Red Hat will still
    >> develop a light-weight desktop OS for emerging markets.
    >>
    >> And it seems Red Hat has learned something from all the failed attempts
    >> at cracking Microsoft's dominance in the past. Later in the blog post,
    >> the team said, "Building a sustainable business around the Linux desktop
    >> is tough, and history is littered with example efforts that have either
    >> failed outright, are stalled or are run as charities." - Yikes, talk
    >> about being spooked by the Redmond giant.
    >>

    > Yes, that's what happens when you have a company that illegally maintains
    > its monopoly

    Hate to burst your mantra/excuse but what exactly is illegal about it?
    Seems that Firefox is more than able to gain an appreciable amount of users.
    If Firefox is able to do it than why can't linux?

    > --
    > Rick

  4. Re: Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide a practicalalternative to Microsoft Windows."

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37003/140/
    >

    > Red Hat nixes desktop plans, cites Microsoft's dominance
    > Friday, April 18, 2008 03:45
    >
    > Raleigh (NC) - Red Hat is canceling its plans for a desktop operating
    > system. The company's desktop team cites a dominant vendor (aka Microsoft)
    > as the main obstacle to such an OS. Red Hat will still develop a
    > light-weight desktop OS for emerging markets.
    >
    > And it seems Red Hat has learned something from all the failed attempts at
    > cracking Microsoft's dominance in the past. Later in the blog post, the
    > team said, "Building a sustainable business around the Linux desktop is
    > tough, and history is littered with example efforts that have either failed
    > outright, are stalled or are run as charities." - Yikes, talk about being
    > spooked by the Redmond giant.

    Yes, that's what happens when you have a company that illegally
    maintains its monopoly

    Rick

  5. Re: Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide a practical alternative to Microsoft Windows."

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37003/140/
    >>

    >> Raleigh (NC) - Red Hat is canceling its plans for a desktop operating
    >> system. The company's desktop team cites a dominant vendor (aka Microsoft)
    >> as the main obstacle to such an OS.
    >>

    > Yes, that's what happens when you have a company that illegally
    > maintains its monopoly

    Nice to see that Red Hat knows the score.

    The Microsoft monopoly lives on, in the face of enormous pressures and
    Microsoft's own mistakes.

    --
    There are no significant bugs in our released software that any significant
    number of users want fixed.

  6. Re: Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide apractical alternative to Microsoft Windows."

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:28:20 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:IOSdnemtWYs2V5XVnZ2dnUVZ_urinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37003/140/
    >>>

    >>> Red Hat nixes desktop plans, cites Microsoft's dominance Friday, April
    >>> 18, 2008 03:45
    >>>
    >>> Raleigh (NC) - Red Hat is canceling its plans for a desktop operating
    >>> system. The company's desktop team cites a dominant vendor (aka
    >>> Microsoft) as the main obstacle to such an OS. Red Hat will still
    >>> develop a light-weight desktop OS for emerging markets.
    >>>
    >>> And it seems Red Hat has learned something from all the failed
    >>> attempts at cracking Microsoft's dominance in the past. Later in the
    >>> blog post, the team said, "Building a sustainable business around the
    >>> Linux desktop is tough, and history is littered with example efforts
    >>> that have either failed outright, are stalled or are run as
    >>> charities." - Yikes, talk about being spooked by the Redmond giant.
    >>>

    >> Yes, that's what happens when you have a company that illegally
    >> maintains its monopoly

    > Hate to burst your mantra/excuse but what exactly is illegal about it?

    Research it yourself. The trials and court actions have been in all the
    papers.

    > Seems that Firefox is more than able to gain an appreciable amount of
    > users. If Firefox is able to do it than why can't linux?

    Firefox is an app that runs on multiple operating systems. Gnu?Linux is
    an operating system. There are differences.

    --
    Rick

  7. Re: Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide a practical alternative to Microsoft Windows."

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:OcmdnQjHNKQlZ5XVnZ2dnUVZ_szinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:28:20 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" wrote in message
    >> news:IOSdnemtWYs2V5XVnZ2dnUVZ_urinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Yes, that's what happens when you have a company that illegally
    >>> maintains its monopoly

    >> Hate to burst your mantra/excuse but what exactly is illegal about it?

    > Research it yourself. The trials and court actions have been in all the
    > papers.

    The trials and court actions are based on things that happened last
    decade... in the 1990's. What exactly is MS doing now that constitutes an
    illegal monopoly?

    >> Seems that Firefox is more than able to gain an appreciable amount of
    >> users. If Firefox is able to do it than why can't linux?

    > Firefox is an app that runs on multiple operating systems. Gnu?Linux is
    > an operating system. There are differences.

    The main difference being that most people who try Firefox continue to use
    it.

    But most people don't bother trying linux and when they do try it, they
    usually switch back to Windows.

    That pretty much sums up the differences.

    > --
    > Rick

  8. Re: Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide a practicalalternative to Microsoft Windows."

    On Apr 18, 10:09*am, "Ezekiel" wrote:
    > http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37003/140/
    >

    > Red Hat nixes desktop plans, cites Microsoft's dominance
    > Friday, April 18, 2008 03:45
    >
    > Raleigh (NC) - Red Hat is canceling its plans for a desktop operating
    > system. *The company's desktop team cites a dominant vendor (aka Microsoft)
    > as the main obstacle to such an OS. *Red Hat will still develop a
    > light-weight desktop OS for emerging markets.
    >
    > And it seems Red Hat has learned something from all the failed attempts at
    > cracking Microsoft's dominance in the past. *Later in the blog post, the
    > team said, "Building a sustainable business around the Linux desktop is
    > tough, and history is littered with example efforts that have either failed
    > outright, are stalled or are run as charities." *- Yikes, talk about being
    > spooked by the Redmond giant.
    >

    > ** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

    That's bull****. Linux as a desktop OS could work, it just needs help
    from players like Red Hat. Red Hat involvement could mean better apps
    developed which in turn could lead to higher usage of Linux. Pussies.

  9. Re: Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide a practical alternative to Microsoft Windows."

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Bob Tennent

    wrote
    on 18 Apr 2008 14:34:48 GMT
    :
    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 10:09:04 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    > >
    > > http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37003/140/

    > The "quote" in the Subject is more accurately given as:
    >
    > Redhat admits that some people believe modern Linux desktops don't
    > provide a practical alternative to Microsoft Windows.

    Some? *Most* would probably beleve it, because of the excellence (or
    more likely ubiquity) of the Mighty Microsoft Marketing Machine.

    (Annoying as all hell to me personally. ;-) )

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    If your CPU can't stand the heat, get another fan.

  10. Re: Redhat admits - "Modern Linux desktops don't provide apractical alternative to Microsoft Windows."

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 16:20:57 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    > news:OcmdnQjHNKQlZ5XVnZ2dnUVZ_szinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    >> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:28:20 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Rick" wrote in message
    >>> news:IOSdnemtWYs2V5XVnZ2dnUVZ_urinZ2d@supernews.co m...

    >>> Hate to burst your mantra/excuse but what exactly is illegal about it?

    >> Research it yourself. The trials and court actions have been in all the
    >> papers.

    > The trials and court actions are based on things that happened last
    > decade... in the 1990's.

    Some of the things happened in the 90's, but they are are the major
    reasons why Microsoft has monopoly power in operating systems and office
    suites.

    > What exactly is MS doing now that constitutes an illegal monopoly?

    Go ask the EU, and several States that wanted the oversight extended.

    >>> Seems that Firefox is more than able to gain an appreciable amount of
    >>> users. If Firefox is able to do it than why can't linux?

    >> Firefox is an app that runs on multiple operating systems. Gnu?Linux is
    >> an operating system. There are differences.

    > The main difference being that most people who try Firefox continue to
    > use it.
    >
    > But most people don't bother trying linux and when they do try it, they
    > usually switch back to Windows.

    Even if that is true, it would be true for a variety of reasons, which I
    gave you in another poet.

    > That pretty much sums up the differences.

    No, it doesn't.

    >> --
    >> Rick

    Rick