What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6% - Linux

This is a discussion on What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6% - Linux ; Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%. Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox. Linux... it's been a ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

  1. What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.

    Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.

    Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    reject linux.

  2. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:35:42 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    > more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.
    >
    > Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >
    > Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    > reject linux.

    People want firefox because it is an excellent program.
    People DON'T want desktop Linux.
    They try it and they dump it because it is a much worse experience than
    Windows is for them.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    "Ezekiel" wrote in message

    > Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    > more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.

    The actual numbes are Firefox 37% and Linux 3.9%
    (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) but they show exactly
    what you are saying.

    Firefox growsat over 6% per year and Linux at about 0.3%. Why indeed.....

    > Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >
    > Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    > reject linux.

    Because Firefox is easy to use, extendable by just about anybody with 2
    chromosomes to rub together and offers opportunities for profiting from
    writing those extentions.

    Simply put....because Firefox listens to, and empowers, the community and
    Linux fragments into hundreds of distros with no care for empowering your
    average 7th grade programmer wannabe.

    jim

  4. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    "jim" wrote in message
    news:HC1Oj.52560$vr3.30774@bignews2.bellsouth.net. ..

    > "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    >> more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.

    > The actual numbes are Firefox 37% and Linux 3.9%
    > (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) but they show exactly
    > what you are saying.
    >
    > Firefox growsat over 6% per year and Linux at about 0.3%. Why indeed.....
    >
    >> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >>
    >> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >> reject linux.

    > Because Firefox is easy to use, extendable by just about anybody with 2
    > chromosomes to rub together and offers opportunities for profiting from
    > writing those extentions.
    >
    > Simply put....because Firefox listens to, and empowers, the community and
    > Linux fragments into hundreds of distros with no care for empowering your
    > average 7th grade programmer wannabe.

    I agree. Firefox focuses on users, listens to users and adds features and
    capabilities that users want and need.

    Linux... there's several hundred needless ones that only exist to confuse
    potential users. The other thing is that linux development is primarily done
    by companies and companies typically use linux in server roles. So most of
    the new features and enhancements make linux - 'the server' better but don't
    do much to help the desktop.

    Hibernate support on laptops is a typical example. It's rare for it to work
    anywhere outside of COLA where it always works perfectly. Laptop battery
    life is another issue. Mainframes don't care about hibernate and battery
    life. Users do care about this, but linux doesn't.

    > jim

  5. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Rick wrote:

    > You know very well that network effects, inertia and herd mentality are
    > the major reasons Linux is more widely adopted. Dislodging a monoply is
    > extremely hard. Dislodging and illegally maintained monopoly is
    > apparently almost impossible.

    5-10 years ago: drivers
    next 5-10 years: cross-platform FOSS applications

  6. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    "Rick" wrote in message
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:35:42 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20%
    >>> (or more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.
    >>>
    >>> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >>> reject linux.

    >> People want firefox because it is an excellent program.
    >> People DON'T want desktop Linux.
    >> They try it and they dump it because it is a much worse experience than
    >> Windows is for them.
    >>

    > I am beginning to think you are extremely stupid, or dishonest, or both.
    > You know very well that network effects, inertia and herd mentality are
    > the major reasons Linux is more widely adopted. Dislodging a monoply is
    > extremely hard. Dislodging and illegally maintained monopoly is apparently
    > almost impossible.

    So explain why Firefox is able to do it in just a few years but linux has
    yet to make a dent in the consumer desktop market after 15 years.

    > --
    > Rick

  7. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    On 2008-04-18, Rick wrote:
    > jim wrote:
    >> "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >>> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    >>> more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.

    >> The actual numbes are Firefox 37% and Linux 3.9%
    >> (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) but they show exactly
    >> what you are saying.
    >>
    >> Firefox growsat over 6% per year and Linux at about 0.3%. Why indeed.....
    >>
    >>> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >>> reject linux.

    >> Because Firefox is easy to use, extendable by just about anybody with 2

    No.

    Because the relevant domain is driven primarily by standardized interfaces.

    Websites, compared to applications and games, are platform agnostic.

    [deletia]

    Jim is a blithering idiot.

    He's ignoring the rather key fact that Firefox and IE are much like
    different forms of Unix that are relatively interchangeable because
    their core interfaces are the same even if each might have some
    private proprietary extensions.

    In this kind of environment, Linux has done quite well and has begun
    to exclipse the previous market leader in that space (Unix/Solaris).

    --
    OpenDoc is moot when Apple is your one stop iShop. |||
    / | \

  8. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Rick wrote:
    > Ezekiel wrote:

    >> The other thing is that linux development is primarily done by
    >> companies and companies typically use linux in server roles. So most of

    > Is it? Are you sure?
    >
    >> the new features and enhancements make linux - 'the server' better but
    >> don't do much to help the desktop.
    >>
    >> Hibernate support on laptops is a typical example. It's rare for it to
    >> work anywhere outside of COLA where it always works perfectly. Laptop
    >> battery life is another issue. Mainframes don't care about hibernate
    >> and battery life. Users do care about this, but linux doesn't.

    > No, the kernel doesn't care. Kernel developers might not either. Other
    > developers do.

    As hardware prices keep going lower, the cost of the OS gets to be a
    larger fraction of the total cost of a computer system, unless the OS is
    free. The hardware maker/seller sees very little profit on the OS, and
    its high relative cost inhibits the sales of computer systems. So PC
    retailers such as Dell, HP, Lenovo, ASUS, etc. have a growing incentive
    to promote systems that use FOSS, therefore a growing incentive to
    contribute to solutions that favor FOSS on the desktop. Unless of
    course the monopoly gives away the OS to preserve itself a while longer.

  9. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:35:42 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    >> more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.
    >>
    >> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >>
    >> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >> reject linux.

    > People want firefox because it is an excellent program.
    > People DON'T want desktop Linux.
    > They try it and they dump it because it is a much worse experience than
    > Windows is for them.

    I am beginning to think you are extremely stupid, or dishonest, or both.
    You know very well that network effects, inertia and herd mentality are
    the major reasons Linux is more widely adopted. Dislodging a monoply is
    extremely hard. Dislodging and illegally maintained monopoly is
    apparently almost impossible.

    --
    Rick

  10. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    jim wrote:
    > "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    >> more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.

    > The actual numbes are Firefox 37% and Linux 3.9%
    > (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) but they show exactly
    > what you are saying.
    >
    > Firefox growsat over 6% per year and Linux at about 0.3%. Why indeed.....
    >
    >> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >>
    >> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >> reject linux.

    > Because Firefox is easy to use, extendable by just about anybody with 2
    > chromosomes to rub together and offers opportunities for profiting from
    > writing those extentions.
    >
    > Simply put....because Firefox listens to, and empowers, the community and
    > Linux fragments into hundreds of distros with no care for empowering your
    > average 7th grade programmer wannabe.
    >
    > jim

    Maybe yo should go buy a clue. And maybe learn to format your signature.
    Try a delimiter.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > "jim" wrote in message
    > news:HC1Oj.52560$vr3.30774@bignews2.bellsouth.net. ..
    >> "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >>> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    >>> more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.

    >> The actual numbes are Firefox 37% and Linux 3.9%
    >> (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) but they show exactly
    >> what you are saying.
    >>
    >> Firefox growsat over 6% per year and Linux at about 0.3%. Why indeed.....
    >>
    >>> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >>> reject linux.

    >> Because Firefox is easy to use, extendable by just about anybody with 2
    >> chromosomes to rub together and offers opportunities for profiting from
    >> writing those extentions.
    >>
    >> Simply put....because Firefox listens to, and empowers, the community and
    >> Linux fragments into hundreds of distros with no care for empowering your
    >> average 7th grade programmer wannabe.

    > I agree. Firefox focuses on users, listens to users and adds features and
    > capabilities that users want and need.
    >
    > Linux... there's several hundred needless ones that only exist to confuse
    > potential users.

    Bzzzt. Wrong.

    > The other thing is that linux development is primarily done
    > by companies and companies typically use linux in server roles. So most of

    Is it? Are you sure?

    > the new features and enhancements make linux - 'the server' better but don't
    > do much to help the desktop.
    >
    > Hibernate support on laptops is a typical example. It's rare for it to work
    > anywhere outside of COLA where it always works perfectly. Laptop battery
    > life is another issue. Mainframes don't care about hibernate and battery
    > life. Users do care about this, but linux doesn't.

    No, the kernel doesn't care. Kernel developers might not either. Other
    developers do.

    >> jim

    Who cares?

    --
    Rick

  12. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Rick wrote:

    >> Windows is for them.

    > I am beginning to think you are extremely stupid, or dishonest, or both.

    "Beginning" to think??? He's a pathological liar.

  13. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:35:42 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >>> reject linux.

    >> People DON'T want desktop Linux.
    >> They try it and they dump it because it is a much worse experience than
    >> Windows is for them.
    >>

    > I am beginning to think you are extremely stupid, or dishonest, or both.

    Slow on the uptake, Rick?

    > You know very well that network effects, inertia and herd mentality are
    > the major reasons Linux is more widely adopted. Dislodging a monoply is
    > extremely hard. Dislodging and illegally maintained monopoly is
    > apparently almost impossible.

    No, you're not slow, that's for sure.

    Almost /all/ people do now know or care about OS's. They know, and may
    care, about brands. Even then, most of them will take what comes on the
    most-available boxes.

    Anything /different/ from that will be suspect, especially if it isn't
    already popular.

    Any difference at all is enough to make some people shy away from an
    alternative.

    Even my own family acts that way. I truly don't understand it. But
    there it is.

    --
    There are people who don't like capitalism, and people who don't like PCs.
    But there's no-one who likes the PC who doesn't like Microsoft.

  14. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 12:29:47 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > "Rick" wrote in message
    >> Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> People want firefox because it is an excellent program. People DON'T
    >>> want desktop Linux.
    >>> They try it and they dump it because it is a much worse experience
    >>> than Windows is for them.
    >>>

    >> I am beginning to think you are extremely stupid, or dishonest, or
    >> both. You know very well that network effects, inertia and herd
    >> mentality are the major reasons Linux is more widely adopted.
    >> Dislodging a monoply is extremely hard. Dislodging and illegally
    >> maintained monopoly is apparently almost impossible.

    > So explain why Firefox is able to do it in just a few years but linux
    > has yet to make a dent in the consumer desktop market after 15 years.

    ... because Firefox is an application that runs on multiple operating
    systems. There aren't any worries about incompatible data. Gnu/Linux is
    an operating system. There is no "one big company" advertising/marketing
    it". Moving from Windows to Linux involves learning new application sets,
    possibly dealing with data conversion problems, and simply finding out it
    exists.

    I do not understand how you cannot see the difference in the 2 situations.

    >> --
    >> Rick

    ... and you might want to get a decent news reader.

    --
    Rick

  15. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:47:00 -0400, jim wrote:

    > "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20%
    >> (or more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.

    > The actual numbes are Firefox 37% and Linux 3.9%
    > (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) but they show
    > exactly what you are saying.
    >
    > Firefox growsat over 6% per year and Linux at about 0.3%. Why
    > indeed.....

    Why? Because Firefox is a multi-platform application.

    >> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted
    >> Firefox.
    >>
    >> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >> reject linux.

    From one extremely limited point of view. The other is that people want
    what everyone else has, which is Windows. They want the same apps and
    games. And don't forget, the overwhelming number of people don't even
    know about Linux.

    > Because Firefox is easy to use, extendable by just about anybody with 2
    > chromosomes to rub together and offers opportunities for profiting from
    > writing those extentions.

    Linux is easy to use, extendable by just about anybody with 2 chromosomes.

    > Simply put....because Firefox listens to, and empowers, the community
    > and Linux fragments into hundreds of distros with no care for empowering
    > your average 7th grade programmer wannabe.

    The Linux community listens to, and empowers, the community.

    > jim

    How about getting a decent newsreader, or configuring this one.

    --
    Rick

  16. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb

    wrote
    on Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:11:06 -0400
    <1vwi874borhqj$.iabised2h11m.dlg@40tude.net>:
    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:35:42 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >
    >> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    >> more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.
    >>
    >> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >>
    >> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >> reject linux.

    > People want firefox because it is an excellent program.
    > People DON'T want desktop Linux.
    > They try it and they dump it because it is a much worse experience than
    > Windows is for them.

    Lemme make it even simpler for both of you.

    [1] Install program, click. Window pops up with pretty
    icons, text, pictures, animations, and useful
    capabilities such as filling out online forms.

    [2] Install kernel, um....need more software, like
    /sbin/init and /bin/bash. (Remember, I'm a pedant! ;-))

    [3] Install distro, fire up X, windows pop up with pretty
    icons, text, pictures, animations, and useful
    capabilities such as filling out online forms...but
    with a far larger scope than [1], and not quite compatible
    with Windows.

    Assuming [1] vs. [2], no contest; nobody wants to build a kernel.
    [1] vs. [3] is a little more complicated but Microsoft's Marketing
    Machine is probably involved, selling Windows as the "most intuitive
    reliable solution for business" or some such.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);

  17. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, jim

    wrote
    on Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:47:00 -0400
    :

    > "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    >> more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.

    > The actual numbes are Firefox 37% and Linux 3.9%
    > (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) but they show exactly
    > what you are saying.
    >
    > Firefox growsat over 6% per year and Linux at about 0.3%. Why indeed.....

    Simple. Windows is sold. Linux is used.

    >> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >>
    >> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >> reject linux.

    > Because Firefox is easy to use,

    IE's even easier to use; Just click on the 'e'.
    You're going to have to do better than that.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #104392:
    for(int i = 0; i < 1000000; i++) sleep(0);

  18. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    On Apr 18, 1:11*pm, Rick wrote:
    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:35:42 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:

    > >> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    > >> more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.

    > >> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox..

    > >> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    > >> reject linux.

    > > People want firefox because it is an excellent program.
    > > People DON'T want desktop Linux.
    > > They try it and they dump it because it is a much worse experience than
    > > Windows is for them.

    > I am beginning to think you are extremely stupid, or dishonest, or both.
    > You know very well that network effects, inertia and herd mentality are
    > the major reasons Linux is more widely adopted. Dislodging a monoply is
    > extremely hard. Dislodging and illegally maintained monopoly is
    > apparently almost impossible.

    That illegally maintained monopoly can't keep control of it's web
    browser though? The network effects, inertia and herd mentality only
    affect Linux and not Firefox? Strange assumptions.

  19. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    "Rick" wrote in message
    news:OcmdnQrHNKR_YZXVnZ2dnUVZ_szinZ2d@supernews.co m...
    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:47:00 -0400, jim wrote:
    >
    >> "Ezekiel" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20%
    >>> (or more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.

    >> The actual numbes are Firefox 37% and Linux 3.9%
    >> (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp) but they show
    >> exactly what you are saying.
    >>
    >> Firefox growsat over 6% per year and Linux at about 0.3%. Why
    >> indeed.....

    > Why? Because Firefox is a multi-platform application.

    Bull****.

    (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_for_Mac)
    -----

    "As a result of the five-year agreement between Apple and Microsoft in 1997,
    it was the default browser on Mac OS before it was replaced by Apple's own
    Safari web browser in 2003. Internet Explorer for Mac remained available for
    download from Microsoft until January 31, 2006. However, no major updates
    had been released since March 27, 2000, aside from bug fixes and updates to
    take advantage of new features in Mac OS X.
    On June 13, 2003, Microsoft announced that it was ceasing further
    development of Internet Explorer for Mac. The browser was not included in
    default installation of Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" which was released on April
    29, 2005. Microsoft discontinued support for the product on December 31,
    2005 and removed the application from their Macintosh downloads site on
    January 31, 2006. Microsoft recommends "that Macintosh users migrate to more
    recent web browsing technologies such as Apple's Safari."[1]"

    -----

    Having stopped further development of IE for the Mac in 2003 (incidentally
    the same year for the beginning stats that I quote), IE on Mac is not
    relevant, statistically speaking, to the rise of Firefox.

    As for FF on Linux, it is true that FF has become the browser of choice for
    Linux. But, seeing as how replacing 100% of the Linux browsers would only
    result in less than 4% of the growth, the other 33% mostly came from
    replacing IE on Windows.

    Hell, let's say that 100% of all Linux and Apple workstations switched to
    Firefox. Let's further assume the latest %s for Linux and Mac - 8.3% of the
    market.

    So, just where did the other 28.7% increase in Firefox market share come
    from?

    IE! Firefox beat IE on its own turf (Windows) by being more stable,
    extendable, potentially profitable and being easier to extend than IE.
    (Have you every tried to extend IE? Obviously not.)

    >>> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted
    >>> Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >>> reject linux.

    > From one extremely limited point of view. The other is that people want
    > what everyone else has, which is Windows. They want the same apps and
    > games. And don't forget, the overwhelming number of people don't even
    > know about Linux.

    Thats why you need new apps and new games for Linux to challenge Windows.
    You get those by making it easier to develop for Linux than for Windows.

    I don't know how much simpler I can make this......

    >> Because Firefox is easy to use, extendable by just about anybody with 2
    >> chromosomes to rub together and offers opportunities for profiting from
    >> writing those extentions.

    > Linux is easy to use, extendable by just about anybody with 2 chromosomes.

    Bull****. Show me ANYTHING in Linux that is as easy to pick up and program
    and has as much power as even Visual Basic 3 for Windows.

    >> Simply put....because Firefox listens to, and empowers, the community
    >> and Linux fragments into hundreds of distros with no care for empowering
    >> your average 7th grade programmer wannabe.

    > The Linux community listens to, and empowers, the community.

    No. It buries it's beak in the snow. It sets up NGs to blow its own horn.
    But it does NOT learn from Microsoft or Mozilla about making simple to use,
    simple to extend software for the masses.

    > How about getting a decent newsreader, or configuring this one.

    As soon as you come up with a decent argument.

    jim

  20. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:11:18 -0400, Rick wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 07:35:42 -0400, Ezekiel wrote:
    >>
    >>> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    >>> more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.
    >>>
    >>> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >>>
    >>> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >>> reject linux.

    >> People want firefox because it is an excellent program.
    >> People DON'T want desktop Linux.
    >> They try it and they dump it because it is a much worse experience than
    >> Windows is for them.
    >>

    > I am beginning to think you are extremely stupid, or dishonest, or both.
    > You know very well that network effects, inertia and herd mentality are
    > the major reasons Linux is more widely adopted. Dislodging a monoply is
    > extremely hard. Dislodging and illegally maintained monopoly is
    > apparently almost impossible.

    So how do you explain the massive numbers of people downloading Linux
    compared to the pathetic numbers of people actually using Linux?