What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6% - Linux

This is a discussion on What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6% - Linux ; On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:53:47 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote: > Rick wrote: >> And yes, I, and probably most Linux advocates, understand that there >> are many more downloads than there are single users. >> >> > But then ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 60 of 60

  1. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:53:47 +0100, Andrew Halliwell wrote:

    > Rick wrote:
    >> And yes, I, and probably most Linux advocates, understand that there
    >> are many more downloads than there are single users.
    >>

    > But then again, if the person burned more than one cd, in order to hand
    > it to some friends, that may actually swing the balance slightly...
    >
    > There IS no way to determine the number of installs. Never has been,
    > never will be.

    As someone has mentioned, there is.. sort of. If distro vendors put in
    code to ID machines, AND users agreed to opt in, the machines could phone
    home and be counted. All big ifs.

    --
    Rick

  2. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Rick wrote:
    >> And yes, I, and probably most Linux advocates, understand that there are
    >> many more downloads than there are single users.
    >>

    > But then again, if the person burned more than one cd, in order to hand it
    > to some friends, that may actually swing the balance slightly...
    >
    > There IS no way to determine the number of installs.
    > Never has been, never will be.

    Of course not. Not exactly. But the number of people using Linux to
    browse an OS agnostic site like the BBC is a good indicator for that
    geography. I realise that's a little difficult for someone who has no
    clue to understand but unless you can explain why Linux desktop users
    are less likely to browse these sites then it should be clear to most
    people.

  3. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Ezekiel wrote:

    > Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20% (or
    > more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.
    >
    > Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >
    > Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    > reject linux.

    Learn the difference between an operating system and an application. Think.
    Then come back.

    Richard Rasker
    --
    http://www.linetec.nl/

  4. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:32:00 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Andrew Halliwell writes:
    >
    >> Rick wrote:
    >>> And yes, I, and probably most Linux advocates, understand that there
    >>> are many more downloads than there are single users.
    >>>

    >> But then again, if the person burned more than one cd, in order to hand
    >> it to some friends, that may actually swing the balance slightly...
    >>
    >> There IS no way to determine the number of installs. Never has been,
    >> never will be.

    > Of course not. Not exactly. But the number of people using Linux to
    > browse an OS agnostic site like the BBC is a good indicator for that
    > geography. I realize that's a little difficult for someone who has no
    > clue to understand but unless you can explain why Linux desktop users
    > are less likely to browse these sites then it should be clear to most
    > people.

    The BBC is NOT OS agnostic. It is heavily Windows biased and people know
    that. Why would Linux users visit a site they know to be, if not anti-
    Linux, then at least pro-Windows?

    --
    Rick

  5. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    "Richard Rasker" wrote in message
    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >

    >> Both are free. Yet in LESS THAN HALF the time Firefox has amassed 20%
    >> (or
    >> more) marketshare but linux continues to languish at about 0.6%.
    >>
    >> Firefox managed to make it and succeed. Consumers have accepted Firefox.
    >>
    >> Linux... it's been a limp dog for over 15 years. Consumer continue to
    >> reject linux.

    > Learn the difference between an operating system and an application.
    > Think.
    > Then come back.

    Learn the difference between a winner like Firefox and a loser like linux.
    Then come back.

    What's your other excuse... that Firefox is doing better because it has
    more letters in its name than linux?

    The only reason Firefox is a winner is because it runs on Windows. There is
    absolutely NOTHING that runs on linux-only that can even remotely be
    considered a successful product.

    > Richard Rasker
    > --
    > http://www.linetec.nl/

  6. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Hadron wrote:
    > The BBC has been showing adverts for quite some time now. On its
    > international site which a lot of British residents opt for too. Same
    > web address btw.

    > As usual he compares, wrongly, his own little world to the great
    > outdoors. And makes a mistake. Again.

    No mistake here, they might advertise on their global website, big deal,
    that's not going to get in enough revenue to even pay for the resources used
    by people outside the UK viewing it. So that's fine, make the foreigners see
    adverts if it means us license fee payers aren't subsidising them.

    >> We don't even have a choice whether or not to fund them, you imbecile.

    > Imbecile? Just who do you think you are? You sure have a high opinion of
    > yourself. And never seem to tire of advertising your rather mundane
    > qualifications too I see.

    I think I'm someone who knows what he's talking about, and ezekiel is an
    idiot for stating "advertising funds the bbc" of course.

    That's the most utterly stupid statement anyone (including you) has said in
    the past decade.

    | Andrew Halliwell BSc | |

  7. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Ezekiel wrote:
    > Don't expect a spineless jellyfish like Spike to ever answer. Like most
    > "advocates" he will run away and hide.

    He don't know me too well... Do he?

    **** off, ezekiel you worthless pile scum.
    You made a stupid ****ing statement, YOU back it up.
    BBC funded by advertising indeed.

  8. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    "Andrew Halliwell" wrote in message
    > Hadron wrote:
    >> The BBC has been showing adverts for quite some time now. On its
    >> international site which a lot of British residents opt for too. Same
    >> web address btw.
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7050625.stm
    >>
    >> As usual he compares, wrongly, his own little world to the great
    >> outdoors. And makes a mistake. Again.

    > No mistake here, they might advertise on their global website, big deal,

    It is a big deal because you just claimed they don't run ads.

    > that's not going to get in enough revenue to even pay for the resources
    > used
    > by people outside the UK viewing it. So that's fine, make the foreigners
    > see
    > adverts if it means us license fee payers aren't subsidising them.

    Ah... so you're now switching your position.

    >>> We don't even have a choice whether or not to fund them, you imbecile.

    >> Imbecile? Just who do you think you are? You sure have a high opinion of
    >> yourself. And never seem to tire of advertising your rather mundane
    >> qualifications too I see.

    > I think I'm someone who knows what he's talking about,

    Actually you are a clueless moron who scoffed at the notion that compiler
    principals be part of the ciriculum in a computer science degree.

    > and ezekiel is an idiot for stating "advertising funds the bbc" of
    > course.

    Actually retard... it's not what I said. It's what the BBC says:

    BBC Worldwide says advertising will generate new income for the BBC, which
    needs to plug a 2bn budget shortfall.

    Once again... lying scum like Andrew Halliwell show just how clueless they
    are. Wow.. the BBC seems to think that adversising WILL generate income for
    the BBC to make up for tremendous budget shortfalls.

    > That's the most utterly stupid statement anyone (including you) has said
    > in
    > the past decade.

    Actually the most stupid statement was when some retard (named Andrew
    Halliwell) found it amusing that computer science students would bother
    learning about something called "compilers."

    > --
    > | spike1@freenet.co,uk | "Are you pondering what I'm pondering
    > Pinky?" |
    > | Andrew Halliwell BSc |
    > |
    > | in | "I think so brain, but this time, you
    > control |
    > | Computer Science | the Encounter suit, and I'll do the
    > voice..." |

  9. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> The BBC has been showing adverts for quite some time now. On its
    >> international site which a lot of British residents opt for too. Same
    >> web address btw.
    >>
    >> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7050625.stm
    >>
    >> As usual he compares, wrongly, his own little world to the great
    >> outdoors. And makes a mistake. Again.

    > No mistake here, they might advertise on their global website, big deal,
    > that's not going to get in enough revenue to even pay for the resources used
    > by people outside the UK viewing it. So that's fine, make the foreigners see
    > adverts if it means us license fee payers aren't subsidising them.

    So you will be apologising then?

  10. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Ezekiel wrote:
    >> adverts if it means us license fee payers aren't subsidising them.

    > Ah... so you're now switching your position.

    Only insofar as international websites go.
    And I still laugh at your moronic claim that the bbc is funded by such
    advertisements.

    WE see no adverts. The website is utterly advertisement free.
    If you do, tough luck to you.

    | in |good to you so far... |

  11. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Hadron wrote:
    > So you will be apologising then?

    Apologise?
    to you? Or him?

    **** right off.
    | in |good to you so far... |

  12. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> Don't expect a spineless jellyfish like Spike to ever answer. Like most
    >> "advocates" he will run away and hide.

    > He don't know me too well... Do he?
    >
    > **** off, ezekiel you worthless pile scum.
    > You made a stupid ****ing statement, YOU back it up.
    > BBC funded by advertising indeed.

    How many links do you need?

    I find it amazing that you post such ignorant and offensive posts while
    at the same time touting your name and degree.

    --
    XP can't be selling well, or we'd have the wintrolls crowing about it all
    over the advocacy newsgroups.

  13. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >> Don't expect a spineless jellyfish like Spike to ever answer. Like most
    >> "advocates" he will run away and hide.

    > He don't know me too well... Do he?

    I've met many people just like you. Useless idiots who think they know
    something but who are too stupid to realize that everyone is laughing at
    them.

    > **** off, ezekiel you worthless pile scum.

    Awe. Poor little Andrew Halliwell. I enjoying watching you desperately
    flail like this.

    > You made a stupid ****ing statement, YOU back it up.
    > BBC funded by advertising indeed.

    It's already been backed up several times. The BBC receives funding, lots
    of funding from advertising. The BBC said it themselves. I realize this is
    too difficult for someone with **** for brains like you to comprehend but
    the BBC does get funding from the ads they run on their website.

    BBC Worldwide says advertising will generate new income for the BBC, which
    needs to plug a 2bn budget shortfall.

    > --
    > | spike1@freenet.co.uk | "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!
    > |
    > | Andrew Halliwell BSc | I can SMELL!!! KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and
    > |
    > | in | get out the puncture repair kit!"
    > |
    > | Computer Science | Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf

  14. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Ezekiel wrote:
    >>> adverts if it means us license fee payers aren't subsidising them.

    >> Ah... so you're now switching your position.

    > Only insofar as international websites go.
    > And I still laugh at your moronic claim that the bbc is funded by such
    > advertisements.
    >
    > WE see no adverts. The website is utterly advertisement free.
    > If you do, tough luck to you.

    WE do actually - if WE select the International Version.

    LOL, you really are a gobby twat.

    --
    I was attacked by dselect as a small child and have since avoided
    debian.

  15. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Andrew Halliwell writes:

    > Hadron wrote:
    >> So you will be apologising then?

    > Apologise?
    > to you? Or him?
    >
    > **** right off.

    A gobby twat and a foul mouthed loony who doesn't even have the good
    grace to be gracious when proven wrong. Again.

    --
    I was attacked by dselect as a small child and have since avoided
    debian.
    -- Andrew Morton

  16. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    "Rick" stated in post
    vbmdnan9iOJu75fVnZ2dnUVZ_orinZ2d@supernews.com on 4/19/08 3:32 PM:

    > On Sat, 19 Apr 2008 22:32:00 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Andrew Halliwell writes:

    >>> But then again, if the person burned more than one cd, in order to hand
    >>> it to some friends, that may actually swing the balance slightly...
    >>>
    >>> There IS no way to determine the number of installs. Never has been,
    >>> never will be.

    >> Of course not. Not exactly. But the number of people using Linux to
    >> browse an OS agnostic site like the BBC is a good indicator for that
    >> geography. I realize that's a little difficult for someone who has no
    >> clue to understand but unless you can explain why Linux desktop users
    >> are less likely to browse these sites then it should be clear to most
    >> people.

    > The BBC is NOT OS agnostic. It is heavily Windows biased and people know
    > that. Why would Linux users visit a site they know to be, if not anti-
    > Linux, then at least pro-Windows?

    People go to the BBC for *content*, not OS wars.

    --
    Dear Aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all

  17. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Snit writes:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > vbmdnan9iOJu75fVnZ2dnUVZ_orinZ2d@supernews.com on 4/19/08 3:32 PM:

    >>> Of course not. Not exactly. But the number of people using Linux to
    >>> browse an OS agnostic site like the BBC is a good indicator for that
    >>> geography. I realize that's a little difficult for someone who has no
    >>> clue to understand but unless you can explain why Linux desktop users
    >>> are less likely to browse these sites then it should be clear to most
    >>> people.

    >> The BBC is NOT OS agnostic. It is heavily Windows biased and people know
    >> that. Why would Linux users visit a site they know to be, if not anti-
    >> Linux, then at least pro-Windows?

    > People go to the BBC for *content*, not OS wars.

    One has to wonder about Rick's sanity at times.

    Oh, and the new embedded video works fine on Linux.

    --
    The "XP could sink Microsoft" thread his an absolute gem. You'd think
    these advocates were related to Nostradamus!

  18. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20% ?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 00:03:53 -0700, Snit wrote:

    > "Rick" stated in post
    > vbmdnan9iOJu75fVnZ2dnUVZ_orinZ2d@supernews.com on 4/19/08 3:32 PM:

    >>> Of course not. Not exactly. But the number of people using Linux to
    >>> browse an OS agnostic site like the BBC is a good indicator for that
    >>> geography. I realize that's a little difficult for someone who has no
    >>> clue to understand but unless you can explain why Linux desktop users
    >>> are less likely to browse these sites then it should be clear to most
    >>> people.

    >> The BBC is NOT OS agnostic. It is heavily Windows biased and people know
    >> that. Why would Linux users visit a site they know to be, if not anti-
    >> Linux, then at least pro-Windows?

    > People go to the BBC for *content*, not OS wars.

    And when you consider the fact that the Linux loons were stuffing the
    ballot box buy visiting the BBC to up the Linux numbers, the 0.8 percent
    figure is truly pathetic.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  19. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Hadron wrote:
    > Snit writes:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> vbmdnan9iOJu75fVnZ2dnUVZ_orinZ2d@supernews.com on 4/19/08 3:32 PM:

    >>> The BBC is NOT OS agnostic. It is heavily Windows biased and people know
    >>> that. Why would Linux users visit a site they know to be, if not anti-
    >>> Linux, then at least pro-Windows?

    >> People go to the BBC for *content*, not OS wars.

    > One has to wonder about Rick's sanity at times.

    One wonders about your honesty at all times.

    > Oh, and the new embedded video works fine on Linux.

    Oh, and all the video does not.... at least not from teh DR WHo page for
    me this morning.

    --
    Rick

  20. Re: What the hell is wrong with linux. In 5 years Firefox has 20%?marketshare. After 15 years linux has 0.6%

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Mon, 21 Apr 2008 00:03:53 -0700, Snit wrote:
    >
    >> "Rick" stated in post
    >> vbmdnan9iOJu75fVnZ2dnUVZ_orinZ2d@supernews.com on 4/19/08 3:32 PM:

    >>> The BBC is NOT OS agnostic. It is heavily Windows biased and people know
    >>> that. Why would Linux users visit a site they know to be, if not anti-
    >>> Linux, then at least pro-Windows?

    >> People go to the BBC for *content*, not OS wars.

    > And when you consider the fact that the Linux loons were stuffing the
    > ballot box buy visiting the BBC to up the Linux numbers, the 0.8 percent
    > figure is truly pathetic.

    Another bigoted spew from flatfish.

    --
    Rick