[News] A Linux Newbie Describes Journey, Japanese KDE Group Explored - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] A Linux Newbie Describes Journey, Japanese KDE Group Explored - Linux ; Confessions of a Linux newbie ,----[ Quote ] | This year my one-and-only New Year's resolution was to begin the transition | to open-source software in general and Linux in particular. I thought I was | just setting out to ...

  1. [News] A Linux Newbie Describes Journey, Japanese KDE Group Explored

    Confessions of a Linux newbie

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | This year my one-and-only New Year's resolution was to begin the transition
    | to open-source software in general and Linux in particular. I thought I was
    | just setting out to learn a new operating system. In fact, I was entering an
    | entirely new world of computing.
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13880_1-9920995-68.html

    Japan KDE Users Group Interview

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | How did the Japanese KDE Users Group start?
    |
    | It had its beginning when Junji Takagi made a patch for operating mulitibyte
    | characters such as Japanese, when Qt's version 1.x was released. Qt 1.x
    | couldn't operate mulitibyte characters, so we couldn't use Japanese in KDE
    | 1.x previously.
    |
    | After the patch was made, The Japan KDE Users' Group was launched for
    | aggregating the information about KDE/Qt in Japan.
    `----

    http://dot.kde.org/1208472296/

    Related:

    Schools across Japan may switch to Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
    | Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
    | the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
    | across the country in the near future.
    `----

    http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

  2. Re: [News] A Linux Newbie Describes Journey, Japanese KDE Group Explored

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:

    > Schools across Japan may switch to Linux
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> Japan's public broadcaster NHK reported late last week that the
    >> Japanese Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry plans to introduce
    >> the open-source operating system Linux for use within classrooms
    >> across the country in the near future.

    > `----
    >
    > http://gyaku.jp/en/index.php?cmd=contentview&pid=000112

    That link is a year old, Spamowitz. You're too lazy to follow up on your
    own links to find out what actually happened.

  3. Re: [News] A Linux Newbie Describes Journey, Japanese KDE Group Explored

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Confessions of a Linux newbie
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | This year my one-and-only New Year's resolution was to begin the
    > transition
    > | to open-source software in general and Linux in particular. I thought I
    > was
    > | just setting out to learn a new operating system. In fact, I was
    > entering an
    > | entirely new world of computing.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.cnet.com/8301-13880_1-9920995-68.html

    Yeah. He entered a world of slopware where things don't work and he has to
    spend hours fixing it.

    My Linux education began with a lesson in community. I struggled to get
    Ubuntu, my distribution (or "distro") of choice, to recognize either of my
    two wireless adapters.

    Not long after that, I spent the better part of an afternoon troubleshooting
    my inability to get Flash animations to play on my Linux laptop.

    Expect his next column to be about his transition back to Windows.