[News] MySQL CEO Apologises for Sun's Selfishness, More Details Surface - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] MySQL CEO Apologises for Sun's Selfishness, More Details Surface - Linux ; Mickos: Sun may back off - a bit - on plan for MySQL add-ons ,----[ Quote ] | Caught in a firestorm of criticism in the blogosphere and online forums, | officials at Sun Microsystems are now saying that some ...

  1. [News] MySQL CEO Apologises for Sun's Selfishness, More Details Surface

    Mickos: Sun may back off - a bit - on plan for MySQL add-ons

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Caught in a firestorm of criticism in the blogosphere and online forums,
    | officials at Sun Microsystems are now saying that some upcoming online backup
    | features may not necessarily be made available only to paying users of the
    | MySQL open-source database.
    `----

    Will MySQL Keep Lighting up LAMP?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The pro-Linux crowd of 200-plus were worried that now, with Sun in charge of
    | MySQL, Sun's focus would be on creating a SAMP (Solaris, Apache, MySQL,
    | Perl/PHP/Python) software ecosystem instead of supporting the LAMP (Linux,
    | Apache, MySQL, Perl/PHP/Python) stack, which has enabled Linux to gain US$21
    | billion worth of traction in the server market.
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/...rss-linux-news

    Enterprise Unix Roundup: Decoding Sun's OS Plans

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Yes, Sun will make and sell SAMP stacks. (Other possible acronyms: oSAMP,
    | SPAM.) There will also be LAMP stacks. If supporting Linux gets to be too
    | expensive, maybe Sun will take a page from Oracle's book and just lift Red
    | Hat Linux, re-brand it, and support that instead.
    |
    | Customer demand for Linux is too high for Sun to ignore. Unless it can make
    | Solaris more desirable than Linux, Sun will happily keep selling both to all
    | comers.
    |
    | Meanwhile, did anyone notice that the time for the general availability
    | release of OpenSolaris 2008.05 (aka Project Indiana) has come and gone? It
    | was supposed to come out in March. Well, the staff at Phoronix and offers a
    | pretty good breakdown of what these delays will mean to the overall schedule.
    `----

    http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3741171

    Yesterday:

    MySQL reserves features for paying customers; open-source community up in arms

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Officials at Sun Microsystems Inc., which acquired MySQL in February,
    | confirmed that new online backup capabilities now under development will be
    | offered only to MySQL Enterprise customers — not to the much larger number of
    | users of the free MySQL Community edition.
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9078358

    MySQL and "commercial extensions:" Core, complements, and semantics

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Perhaps it's just a matter of semantics (Marc Fleury certainly believes it
    | is), but I think MySQL would have been wiser (at least as an interim step) to
    | adopt Red Hat's model rather than don the hairshirt over commercial
    | extensions, without clearly defining what this means.
    `----

    http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9920944-16.html

    Recent:

    MySQL chief to users: Don't expect big disruptions post-Sun

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Are you hoping to try to sell more into what's been Oracle's turf?
    |
    | Mickos: We always say that we're not trying to eat Oracle's lunch. We're
    | trying to eat their dessert.
    `----

    Sun promises agenda-free MySQL development agenda

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MySQL owners past and present opened the annual user's conference to
    | re-assure them Sun Microsystems has no hidden agenda for the open source
    | database. *
    `----

    http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/0..._new_database/

    Related:

    Sun bullied, used threats to gain control of open source project, former owner
    says

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Sun used strong-arm tactics and made threats to the owners of an open-source
    | directory project to wrestle away control, according to one of the former
    | owners and creators of the project. *
    `----

    http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/...rss-linux-news

  2. Re: [News] Cheap-ass freetards whine that Sun might charge money for software (was: MySQL CEO Apologises for Sun's Selfishness, More Details Surface)

+ Reply to Thread