Google revenues surge 42 percent

,----[ Quote ]
| Google employed 19,156 full-time employees as of March 31, 2008, up from
| 16,805 full-time employees as of December 31, 2007. Of the 2,351 added,
| approximately 1,500 were associated with DoubleClick.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17720/1054/

IBM grows profits, raises outlook

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM posted first-quarter financial results that blew past analyst estimates,
| providing the second indication in as many days that some IT outfits aren't
| getting dragged into a slumping US economy that some say already is in
| recession. The company also raised its earnings estimates for the remainder
| of 2008.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...arter_results/

OOXML appeal possible, but looks unlikely

,----[ Quote ]
| Outspoken OOXML opponents Sun and IBM have not commented on possible plans
| for an appeal. But at least one spokesman for the ODF Alliance said it’s too
| early to tell.
|
| “I wouldn’t be surprised, given the number of documented irregularities, if
| an [national standard body] formally appeals. ISO rules require that an
| appeal be fully documented so I would expect an NB considering such a appeal
| to use more of the time (two months) allotted,” said Marino Marcich, a
| spokesman for the ODF Allliance, in an e-mail to ZDNet.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2303

Last week:

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Recent:

EC probes OOXML standards-setting process

,----[ Quote ]
| A spokesman for the European Commissioner for Competition, Neelie Kroes, told
| The Register that regulators were continuing to scrutinise interoperability
| issues related to Microsoft’s products following complaints from the
| Committee for Interoperable Systems (ECIS) group. *
|
| As part of that process, the EC formally contacted a number of national
| standards bodies, including the Norwegian Standards Institute (NSI),
| requesting more details about possible irregularities in the OOXML
| standardisation process. *
|
| [...]
|
| “It must be stressed that it is not the Commission's intention to influence
| the outcome of this process, but the Commission considers it essential to
| ensure that European competition law is not violated in the course of the
| standard setting process,” he said in an email to El Reg. *
|
| In January the EC began formal anti-trust probes against Microsoft in two
| cases where it was alleged that the multinational firm had abused its strong
| market position. As part of the investigation into the first case, the
| Commission said that it would scrutinise OOXML on the grounds that the
| specification doesn't work with those of competitors. * *
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...stigation_iso/

Related:

EU Commission Investigating Microsoft's MSOOXML Push

,----[ Quote ]
`----