Use Wubi to install Ubuntu without partitioning - Linux

This is a discussion on Use Wubi to install Ubuntu without partitioning - Linux ; http://www.linux.com/feature/130713 > Use Wubi to install Ubuntu without partitioning > By Jeremy LaCroix on April 10, 2008 (9:00:00 AM) > > You can install and run Ubuntu from within Windows without any risk of accidentally deleting your existing programs and ...

  1. Use Wubi to install Ubuntu without partitioning

    http://www.linux.com/feature/130713

    > Use Wubi to install Ubuntu without partitioning
    > By Jeremy LaCroix on April 10, 2008 (9:00:00 AM)
    >
    > You can install and run Ubuntu from within Windows without any risk of accidentally deleting your existing programs and files by using Wubi, an unofficial Ubuntu installer for Windows users. Unlike UNetbootin, which installs Linux on a hard disk partition, Wubi works by installing Ubuntu within a file stored on your Windows drive, and adding itself to the Windows boot.ini file to allow you to choose between Windows and Linux at boot time.

  2. Re: Use Wubi to install Ubuntu without partitioning

    ____/ Matt on Friday 18 April 2008 01:21 : \____

    > http://www.linux.com/feature/130713
    >
    >> Use Wubi to install Ubuntu without partitioning
    >> By Jeremy LaCroix on April 10, 2008 (9:00:00 AM)
    >>
    >> You can install and run Ubuntu from within Windows without any risk of
    >> accidentally deleting your existing programs and files by using Wubi, an
    >> unofficial Ubuntu installer for Windows users. Unlike UNetbootin, which
    >> installs Linux on a hard disk partition, Wubi works by installing Ubuntu
    >> within a file stored on your Windows drive, and adding itself to the Windows
    >> boot.ini file to allow you to choose between Windows and Linux at boot time.

    Install Firefox (from Windows)
    Install Thunderbird (from Windows, then have the wizard import E-mail, address
    books, etc.)
    Install OpenOffice for Windows (to migrate documents to ODF)

    The Live CDs of Ubuntu used to contain all the programs above (I don't know if
    they still do).

    Then comes Wubi. To ones who fear 'leaving' the 'computer' (Windows
    environment) setting up of a second partition is made easier. You can't go
    wrong. Next time you reboot you have an option (GRUB).

    Ubuntu also worked out a Windows-to-Linux migration wizard which imports even
    wallpapers. It makes the new environment seem rather familiar and applications
    that matter to most people (notably an office suite and a Web browser) are
    already there.

    Moving from Windows to Linux is becoming much easier each 6 months, so
    convincing family, friends and colleague to escape before the rainy days of
    Vista is quite easy. Needless to say, Microsoft is spying on these
    developments and it will continue to try to make nightmares, e.g. with OOXML,
    Silverfish, MBR wiped after a security update.

    The European Parliament is currently studying a full migration to Ubuntu.
    Microsoft shouldn't mess up with this (see examples above) because the EU also
    considers a Microsoft embargo at the moment. References below.

    It's a tough time to be at Microsoft. Ballmer finally admitted in public that
    Vista, the bread and butter of Microsoft, is semi-baked and unfinished. That
    happened yesterday. Can you blame all the Microsoft seniors for escaping the
    company, which only makes matters worse? Microsoft tilted /itself/ into the
    death spiral this time around.

    __

    EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
    | distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
    | the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
    | MEP Marco Cappato. *
    `----

    http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

    Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

    http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolb...=697&blogid=14

    Euro MP thinks Microsoft should be banned from government contracts

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...arliament-asks

    Green MEP says Microsoft should be excluded from EU contract awarding procedure

    MEPs Question Microsoft's Eligibility for Gov't Projects

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._projects.html

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Play Othello: http://othellomaster.com
    Tasks: 103 total, 1 running, 102 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie