[News] [Rival] Has Microsoft CEO Just Admitted Vista is Unfinished, Semi-cooked? - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] [Rival] Has Microsoft CEO Just Admitted Vista is Unfinished, Semi-cooked? - Linux ; Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress' ,----[ Quote ] | As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP, company | CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an annual | ...

  1. [News] [Rival] Has Microsoft CEO Just Admitted Vista is Unfinished, Semi-cooked?

    Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP, company
    | CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an annual
    | Seattle event on Thursday.
    `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._progress.html

    Microsoft appears to be paying several different analysts at the moment to
    produce 'studies' which tell you that you must stay with Windows and not
    consider Macs or Linux. Signs of desperation as Microsoft resorts to using
    shills.

    Recent:

    Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We asked a simple question: what Microsoft product could have used a little
    | more polish before release? The answer astounded us. We would just like to
    | thank Bill Gates for his honesty and his openness. *
    `----

    http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-...-windows-sucks

  2. Re: [News] [Rival] Has Microsoft CEO Just Admitted Vista is Unfinished, Semi-cooked?

    wrote
    on Fri, 18 Apr 2008 00:45:55 +0100
    <1242321.15Wqy7juFj@schestowitz.com>:
    > Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP, company
    > | CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an annual
    > | Seattle event on Thursday.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._progress.html

    The only finished piece of software is a dead piece of
    software. There are always improvements. ;-)

    Of course this is a multi-edged sword, and Linux has the
    advantage that, if it's not polished, one can in theory
    break out the source code and polish it oneself.

    (How does one "democratize virtualization", anyway?)

    > Microsoft appears to be paying several different analysts
    > at the moment to produce 'studies' which tell you that
    > you must stay with Windows and not consider Macs or Linux.
    > Signs of desperation as Microsoft resorts to using shills.
    >

    > Recent:
    >
    > Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | We asked a simple question: what Microsoft product could have
    > | used a little more polish before release? The answer astounded
    > | us. We would just like to thank Bill Gates for his honesty
    > | and his openness. *
    > `----
    >
    > http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-...-windows-sucks

    Gotta give him credit, at that.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #7878218:
    class C { private: virtual void stupid() = 0; };

  3. Re: [News] [Rival] Has Microsoft CEO Just Admitted Vista is Unfinished, Semi-cooked?

    ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Friday 18 April 2008 01:09 : \____

    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
    >
    > wrote
    > on Fri, 18 Apr 2008 00:45:55 +0100
    > <1242321.15Wqy7juFj@schestowitz.com>:
    >> Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP,
    >> | company CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an
    >> | annual Seattle event on Thursday.
    >> `----

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._progress.html

    > The only finished piece of software is a dead piece of
    > software. There are always improvements. ;-)
    >
    > Of course this is a multi-edged sword, and Linux has the
    > advantage that, if it's not polished, one can in theory
    > break out the source code and polish it oneself.
    >
    > (How does one "democratize virtualization", anyway?)
    >

    >> Microsoft appears to be paying several different analysts
    >> at the moment to produce 'studies' which tell you that
    >> you must stay with Windows and not consider Macs or Linux.
    >> Signs of desperation as Microsoft resorts to using shills.
    >>

    >> Recent:
    >>
    >> Holy Crap: Did Bill Gates Just Say Windows Sucks?
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | We asked a simple question: what Microsoft product could have
    >> | used a little more polish before release? The answer astounded
    >> | us. We would just like to thank Bill Gates for his honesty
    >> | and his openness.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://gizmodo.com/342920/holy-crap-...-windows-sucks

    > Gotta give him credit, at that.

    The remark from Ballmer was more explicit and it led to a lot of buzz. It was
    very damaging. That's basically a case of the CEO admitting failure for the
    first time... and a _technical_ one, not something which is related to sales
    and marketing (he tried this before to no avail).

    We now have admission not only from Allchin (Windows head) that Vista is
    a "pig" and that there is "no solution to this". Even flamboyant marketing
    bunnies like Ballmer are giving up... and you needn't look at leaked E-mail
    from the class action to find out about Ballmer's problems with Vista... he
    now says it out loud, to a crowd.

    This is a major tipping point.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    "Linux is a very complete and sophisticated operating system. And there is a
    lot of work being done to improve it in and of itself, particularly to make it
    easier to use and easier for people to set up on their personal computers."
    --Paul Maritz, senior vice-president, Microsoft

  4. Re: [News] [Rival] Has Microsoft CEO Just Admitted Vista is Unfinished,Semi-cooked?

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz

    >> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._progress.html

    > (How does one "democratize virtualization", anyway?)

    'democratize' here is simply code for 'monopolize'.

    (((((
    > "We're gonna make sure we democratize virtualization." Probably less than 5 percent of servers in the world are virtualized today, he said. "It's too darn expensive and too hard to manage. We intend to take major strides around addressing both of those."

    )))))

    He just means they are going to sell virtualization product for peanuts
    and take over the market. Everybody gets the product cheap and derives
    wonderful benefits.

  5. Re: [News] [Rival] Has Microsoft CEO Just Admitted Vista is Unfinished,Semi-cooked?

    Matt wrote:
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz

    >>> http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._progress.html
    >>>

    >> (How does one "democratize virtualization", anyway?)

    > 'democratize' here is simply code for 'monopolize'.
    >
    > (((((
    >> "We're gonna make sure we democratize virtualization." Probably less
    >> than 5 percent of servers in the world are virtualized today, he said.
    >> "It's too darn expensive and too hard to manage. We intend to take
    >> major strides around addressing both of those."

    > )))))
    >
    > He just means they are going to sell virtualization product for peanuts
    > and take over the market. Everybody gets the product cheap and derives
    > wonderful benefits.

    Let me try that again.

    He indicates three elements:

    1) market share
    2) expense
    3) ease of use

    He says they are going to address "both of those". I may have read too
    quickly, and I noticed only the first two. He emphasized the last two,
    but you can see what is in his mind: the first one.

  6. Re: [News] [Rival] Has Microsoft CEO Just Admitted Vista is Unfinished, Semi-cooked?

    ____/ Matt on Friday 18 April 2008 06:28 : \____

    > Matt wrote:
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz

    http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._progress.html

    >>> (How does one "democratize virtualization", anyway?)

    >> 'democratize' here is simply code for 'monopolize'.
    >>
    >> (((((
    >>> "We're gonna make sure we democratize virtualization." Probably less
    >>> than 5 percent of servers in the world are virtualized today, he said.
    >>> "It's too darn expensive and too hard to manage. We intend to take
    >>> major strides around addressing both of those."

    >> )))))
    >>
    >> He just means they are going to sell virtualization product for peanuts
    >> and take over the market. Everybody gets the product cheap and derives
    >> wonderful benefits.

    > Let me try that again.
    >
    > He indicates three elements:
    >
    > 1) market share
    > 2) expense
    > 3) ease of use
    >
    > He says they are going to address "both of those". I may have read too
    > quickly, and I noticed only the first two. He emphasized the last two,
    > but you can see what is in his mind: the first one.

    Microsoft will be sued by VMWare. Antitrust. They intend to break the rules and
    this was mentioned in NYT (maybe Forbes) about a year ago. VMWare won't let
    Microsoft pull a Netscape and Microsoft should be careful now that an EU
    embargo has been proposed. It's stepping in glass.

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | Othello for free: http://othellomaster.com
    Tasks: 121 total, 1 running, 120 sleeping, 0 stopped, 0 zombie

  7. Re: [News] [Rival] Has Microsoft CEO Just Admitted Vista is Unfinished, Semi-cooked?

    "Roy Schestowitz" wrote in message
    > Ballmer: Vista Is 'a Work in Progress'
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | As PC users clamor for Microsoft to continue to support Windows XP,
    > company
    > | CEO Steve Ballmer called the Vista OS "a work in progress" at an annual
    > | Seattle event on Thursday.
    > `----
    >
    > http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._progress.html
    >
    > Microsoft appears to be paying several different analysts at the moment to
    > produce 'studies' which tell you that you must stay with Windows and not
    > consider Macs or Linux. Signs of desperation as Microsoft resorts to using
    > shills.

    Idiot. Of course it's a "work in progress" just like linux, open office and
    every other product that's still being worked on.

    Just when people thought that Roy Schestowitz couldn't possibly get any
    dumber.