security consultant breaks security .. - Linux

This is a discussion on security consultant breaks security .. - Linux ; "John Schiefer .. admitted that he gained access without authorisation to hundreds of thousands of computers .. and that he remotely controlled these compromised machines through computer servers" "The malware .. would access private communications .. Schiefer and others would ...

  1. security consultant breaks security ..

    "John Schiefer .. admitted that he gained access without authorisation
    to hundreds of thousands of computers .. and that he remotely
    controlled these compromised machines through computer servers"

    "The malware .. would access private communications .. Schiefer and
    others would then use those communications to find out a usersí
    account name(s), or usernames, and that userís password(s)"

    "Schiefer would then access accounts and make purchases unbeknowst to
    the true owner. Schiefer also admitted to giving those usernames and
    passwords to others"

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1034

  2. Re: security consultant breaks security ..

    On Apr 17, 10:32 am, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > "John Schiefer .. admitted that he gained access without authorisation
    > to hundreds of thousands of computers .. and that he remotely
    > controlled these compromised machines through computer servers"
    >
    > "The malware .. would access private communications .. Schiefer and
    > others would then use those communications to find out a usersí
    > account name(s), or usernames, and that userís password(s)"
    >
    > "Schiefer would then access accounts and make purchases unbeknowst to
    > the true owner. Schiefer also admitted to giving those usernames and
    > passwords to others"
    >
    > http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1034

    The article says he infected and controlled 250,000 computers. I
    wonder how many of them were running Linux or OS/X? Try zero.

  3. Re: security consultant breaks security ..

    ____/ nessuno@wigner.berkeley.edu on Friday 18 April 2008 00:41 : \____

    > On Apr 17, 10:32 am, Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >> "John Schiefer .. admitted that he gained access without authorisation
    >> to hundreds of thousands of computers .. and that he remotely
    >> controlled these compromised machines through computer servers"
    >>
    >> "The malware .. would access private communications .. Schiefer and
    >> others would then use those communications to find out a users’
    >> account name(s), or usernames, and that user’s password(s)"
    >>
    >> "Schiefer would then access accounts and make purchases unbeknowst to
    >> the true owner. Schiefer also admitted to giving those usernames and
    >> passwords to others"
    >>
    >> http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1034

    > The article says he infected and controlled 250,000 computers. I
    > wonder how many of them were running Linux or OS/X? Try zero.

    It doesn't even take a security expert. Watch the following recent story about
    a kid controlling as many as 1,300,000 Windows machines. And look what they
    are used for... just imagine the damage (financial) and the pain (emotional).

    New Zealand teenager convicted over international cyber crime ring

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Owen Thor Walker, 18, known by his online name "AKILL," was involved in a
    | network accused of infiltrating 1.3 million computers and skimming millions
    | of dollars from victims' bank accounts. ¬*
    `----

    http://news.smh.com.au/new-zealand-t...0301-1vzs.html

    Of course, that's just a fraction in a pool of over 300,000,000 Windows
    zombies.

    Bots rule in cyberspace

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...ule-cyberspace
    http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/co...-botnets_N.htm

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Roy S. Schestowitz | $> apt-get -not windows
    roy pts/2 cg093a.halls.man Tue Apr 15 07:26 still logged in