[News] gNewSense and Gobuntu Might Merge to Make Better GNU O/S - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] gNewSense and Gobuntu Might Merge to Make Better GNU O/S - Linux ; Rethinking Gobuntu ,----[ Quote ] | If that is the case, then I think it would be better | to channel the energy from Gobuntu into gNewSense. `---- https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/go...il/000650.html That would probably be the right thing to do. [H]omer seems ...

  1. [News] gNewSense and Gobuntu Might Merge to Make Better GNU O/S

    Rethinking Gobuntu

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | If that is the case, then I think it would be better
    | to channel the energy from Gobuntu into gNewSense.
    `----

    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/go...il/000650.html

    That would probably be the right thing to do. [H]omer seems to have played a
    role in this decision.

    Recent:

    Eight Distros a Week: gNewSense 1.1

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The KDE version of gNewSense, which I ran on the PIII desktop, ran through
    | its paces flawlessly, although the caveat here is that I didn’t have an
    | Internet connection and couldn’t put it through some on-line tests that I did
    | with the laptop. *
    `----

    http://larrythefreesoftwareguy.wordpress.com/

    Related:

    The Importance of the 'Completely Libre' Distributions

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | What's more, I recently migrated a local user to gNewSense from
    | his improperly-licensed, virus-ridden Windows XP system. I am due to follow
    | up with him soon, so we'll see how his GNU/Linux eXPerience is going.
    | Frankly, I'm pretty sure he'll agree that gNewSense is a great demonstration
    | of the power of software freedom. * * *
    `----

    http://blue-gnu.biz/content/importan..._distributions

    Has it been a week with Ubuntu already?

    http://www.it-director.com/blogs/Tot..._already_.html

    Installing Gobuntu 7.10

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The installation process of Gobuntu is text mode-based, and it is quite
    | painful for most users, because it will not detect modern hardware, such as
    | SCSI hard drives. So unless you have an IDE hard drive, don't even bother to
    | follow the next steps. *
    `----

    http://news.softpedia.com/news/Insta...10-59788.shtml

    Willing to buy a high-end, free-software-only laptop?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | To that end I’d like to build up a list of people who are interested in this
    | idea, and would potentially buy a high-powered laptop if it were guaranteed
    | to work completely with free software drivers and OpenBIOS. *
    `----

    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/131

    Gobuntu is… go

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Thanks to Colin and Evan’s efforts we now have daily images of a
    | freedom-focused flavour of Ubuntu, “Gobuntu”.
    `----

    http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/130

    Ubuntu's Gibbon gets free

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Ubuntu's October release code-named "Gutsy Gibbon" will be available
    | in a new, free flavour, its founder Mark Shuttleworth said today.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | In an e-mail to Ubuntu developers, Shuttleworth said: "work will be done in
    | collaboration with the folks behind gNewsense". gNewsense is a Linux
    | distribution backed by the Free Software Foundation that removes all
    | non-free material from Ubuntu.
    `----

    http://www.builderau.com.au/news/soa...9274828,00.htm

    gNewSense KDE 1.1 Screenshots 1024x768px

    http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?lin...se%20KDE%201.1

    Press Release 20070122 - gNewSense 1.1 Released

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.gnewsense.org/Main/PressRelease20070122

    gNewSense KDE 1.1 Screenshots 1024x768px

    http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?lin...se%20KDE%201.1

    GNewSense 1.0 Screenshot Walkthrough

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Free Software Foundation has announced the inaugural stable
    | release of gNewSense, an Ubuntu-based distribution, modified to
    | include Free Software only...
    `----

    http://www.thecodingstudio.com/opens...nux/?q=node/26

    gNewSense joins list of FSF-approved distros

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | However, gNewSense is also an important step toward its long-range
    | goal of persuading manufacturers to produce computers that run
    | completely free software, from the operating system and drivers
    | down to the BIOS. Buoyed by both the release of gNewSense and the
    | plans to use the LinuxBIOS in the One Laptop Per Child project,
    | Brown says, "We believe we're getting there slowly but surely.
    | We're getting to the point where maybe in 12 months we're going
    | to have those computers."
    `----

    From freedom to slavery; a week of two distros

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | While gNewSense enjoys its initial introduction as a fully free as in
    | freedom distribution, it seems at the same time an existing GNU/Linux
    | distribution has turned to slavery. Excuse me a moment, while I remove
    | the metaphorical knife from my back before continuing. Never before
    | has the contrast between software freedom and intellectual slavery
    | been more clear thanks to the proud efforts of gNewSense, and the
    | craven ones of Novell.
    `----

    http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/node/1851

  2. Re: [News] gNewSense and Gobuntu Might Merge to Make Better GNU O/S

    > Rethinking Gobuntu
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    > | If that is the case, then I think it would be better | to channel
    > | the energy from Gobuntu into gNewSense.
    > `----
    >
    > https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/go...il/000650.html
    >
    > That would probably be the right thing to do. [H]omer seems to have
    > played a role in this decision.

    I'm just glad Shuttleworth finally understands that his half-baked
    approach was a farce. I simply pointed out to him the inconsistency of
    pursuing a "radical implementation of freedom" that still clings to
    proprietary solutions. It seems that most of the Gobuntu contributors
    agreed with me, but our dissent was ignored by Canonical's closed-shop,
    so we left. No more contributors = no more project. Simple. I think we
    made our point.

    AFAICT most of the volunteers switched to gNewSense. I'm pursuing my own
    solution based on Fedora.

    --
    K.
    http://slated.org

    ..----
    `----

    14:12:57 up 121 days, 10:48, 4 users, load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.01

  3. Re: [News] gNewSense and Gobuntu Might Merge to Make Better GNU O/S

    Homer writes:

    >> Rethinking Gobuntu
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | If that is the case, then I think it would be better | to channel
    >> | the energy from Gobuntu into gNewSense.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/go...il/000650.html
    >>
    >> That would probably be the right thing to do. [H]omer seems to have
    >> played a role in this decision.

    > I'm just glad Shuttleworth finally understands that his half-baked
    > approach was a farce. I simply pointed out to him the inconsistency of
    > pursuing a "radical implementation of freedom" that still clings to
    > proprietary solutions. It seems that most of the Gobuntu contributors
    > agreed with me, but our dissent was ignored by Canonical's closed-shop,
    > so we left. No more contributors = no more project. Simple. I think we
    > made our point.
    >
    > AFAICT most of the volunteers switched to gNewSense. I'm pursuing my own
    > solution based on Fedora.

    Another fine Linux advocate. Homo tries to derail Ubuntu and GoBuntu.

    So typical.

    Happy to see buggy **** released in order to pursue some pipe dream -
    meanwhile his own contribution to the FSF is precisely sweet f@ck all.

  4. Re: [News] gNewSense and Gobuntu Might Merge to Make Better GNU O/S

    * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

    >> Rethinking Gobuntu
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >> | If that is the case, then I think it would be better | to channel
    >> | the energy from Gobuntu into gNewSense.
    >> `----
    >>
    >> https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/go...il/000650.html
    >>
    >> That would probably be the right thing to do. [H]omer seems to have
    >> played a role in this decision.

    > I'm just glad Shuttleworth finally understands that his half-baked
    > approach was a farce. I simply pointed out to him the inconsistency of
    > pursuing a "radical implementation of freedom" that still clings to
    > proprietary solutions. It seems that most of the Gobuntu contributors
    > agreed with me, but our dissent was ignored by Canonical's closed-shop,
    > so we left. No more contributors = no more project. Simple. I think we
    > made our point.

    Sounds like Shuttleworth respects choice more than do certain hadronic
    trolls around here.

    > AFAICT most of the volunteers switched to gNewSense. I'm pursuing my own
    > solution based on Fedora.

    https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/go...il/000657.html

    We always need help at gNS, and unlike commercial entities, there is
    no reason why we have to complete. Let's just all work together.

    --
    People everywhere love Windows.
    -- Bill Gates

+ Reply to Thread