Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. - Linux

This is a discussion on Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. - Linux ; "I invite you to check Amazon’s Bestsellers: The most popular items in Computers and PC Hardware list .. eight of the top 25 sellers are Linux-powered Asus Eee UMPCs" "Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. if things ...

  1. Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    "I invite you to check Amazon’s Bestsellers: The most popular items in
    Computers and PC Hardware list .. eight of the top 25 sellers are
    Linux-powered Asus Eee UMPCs"

    "Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. if things continue in
    the way they have been, I’ll be ready to say Windows is collapsing"

    http://practical-tech.com/operating-...legs/#more-152

  2. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:15:47 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:

    > "I invite you to check Amazon˘s Bestsellers: The most popular items in
    > Computers and PC Hardware list .. eight of the top 25 sellers are
    > Linux-powered Asus Eee UMPCs"
    >
    > "Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. if things continue in
    > the way they have been, I˘ll be ready to say Windows is collapsing"
    >
    > http://practical-tech.com/operating-...legs/#more-152

    Hahaha...
    You bumbling idiot.
    That's not what Redhat says BTW.

    They say Linux desktop can't compete with Microsoft

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...esktop_market/

    Red Hat scurries away from consumer desktop market
    By Kelly Fiveash
    Published Thursday 17th April 2008 11:04 GMT
    Linux and open source software giant Red Hat has abandoned plans to develop
    a consumer desktop product because it cannot compete with the might of
    Microsoft.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  3. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:15:47 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >
    >> "I invite you to check Amazon’s Bestsellers: The most popular items in
    >> Computers and PC Hardware list .. eight of the top 25 sellers are
    >> Linux-powered Asus Eee UMPCs"
    >>
    >> "Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. if things continue in
    >> the way they have been, I’ll be ready to say Windows is collapsing"
    >>
    >> http://practical-tech.com/operating-...legs/#more-152

    > Hahaha...
    > You bumbling idiot.
    > That's not what Redhat says BTW.
    >
    > They say Linux desktop can't compete with Microsoft
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...esktop_market/
    >
    > Red Hat scurries away from consumer desktop market
    > By Kelly Fiveash
    > Published Thursday 17th April 2008 11:04 GMT
    > Linux and open source software giant Red Hat has abandoned plans to develop
    > a consumer desktop product because it cannot compete with the might of
    > Microsoft.

    Huh? But Roy told us MS were going bust and Linux had 17%
    already!?!??!?!

    ,----
    | The firm said in a statement yesterday: “As a public, for-profit
    | company, Red Hat must create products and technologies with an eye on
    | the bottom line, and with desktops this is much harder to do than with
    | servers.
    |

    | “The desktop market suffers from having one dominant vendor, and some
    | people still perceive that today’s Linux desktops simply don’t provide
    | a practical alternative.”
    `----

    Whoops. Looks like some of us were right and Spamowitz, Kent and Homer
    were wrong. No surprise there then.

    And this is wonderful! They should have got Willy Poaster on
    board. Apparently HIS desktop worked for him 10 years ago! LOL!!

    ,----
    | It’s encountered a variety of problems with developing the product
    | including startup delays with resellers, hardware and market changes and
    | “some multimedia codec licensing knotholes”.
    `----

  4. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    On 2008-04-17, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:15:47 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >
    >> "I invite you to check Amazon s Bestsellers: The most popular items in
    >> Computers and PC Hardware list .. eight of the top 25 sellers are
    >> Linux-powered Asus Eee UMPCs"
    >>
    >> "Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. if things continue in
    >> the way they have been, I ll be ready to say Windows is collapsing"
    >>
    >> http://practical-tech.com/operating-...legs/#more-152

    > Hahaha...
    > You bumbling idiot.
    > That's not what Redhat says BTW.
    >
    > They say Linux desktop can't compete with Microsoft
    >
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...esktop_market/
    >
    > Red Hat scurries away from consumer desktop market
    > By Kelly Fiveash
    > Published Thursday 17th April 2008 11:04 GMT
    > Linux and open source software giant Red Hat has abandoned plans to develop
    > a consumer desktop product because it cannot compete with the might of
    > Microsoft.

    Moshe, you are crossposting a little bit too much from cola, can you
    please cut down on volume. It makes it hard to talk about Ubuntu in
    this forum. Just limit yourself to as few crossposts per day.

    I think that that "desktop" was a Redhat project to make an
    desktop that would be an alternative to Gnome, xfce, etc. Linux
    already has a few desktops, for example Gnome.

  5. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    Doug Mentohl wrote:
    > "I invite you to check Amazon’s Bestsellers: The most popular items in
    > Computers and PC Hardware list .. eight of the top 25 sellers are
    > Linux-powered Asus Eee UMPCs"
    >
    > "Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. if things continue in
    > the way they have been, I’ll be ready to say Windows is collapsing"
    >
    > http://practical-tech.com/operating-...legs/#more-152

    "If by April 2009, Windows 7 isn’t in beta, though, I’ll be ready to start
    writing Windows’ obituary."

    "what I meant by that is that by 2011, we’d see Macs up to 20% of the market
    and Linux desktops cracking 10%."

    The dream lives on!

  6. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:23:55 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:15:47 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >>
    >>> "I invite you to check Amazon˙s Bestsellers: The most popular items in
    >>> Computers and PC Hardware list .. eight of the top 25 sellers are
    >>> Linux-powered Asus Eee UMPCs"
    >>>
    >>> "Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. if things continue in
    >>> the way they have been, I˙ll be ready to say Windows is collapsing"
    >>>
    >>> http://practical-tech.com/operating-...legs/#more-152

    >> Hahaha...
    >> You bumbling idiot.
    >> That's not what Redhat says BTW.
    >>
    >> They say Linux desktop can't compete with Microsoft
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...esktop_market/
    >>
    >> Red Hat scurries away from consumer desktop market
    >> By Kelly Fiveash
    >> Published Thursday 17th April 2008 11:04 GMT
    >> Linux and open source software giant Red Hat has abandoned plans to develop
    >> a consumer desktop product because it cannot compete with the might of
    >> Microsoft.

    > Huh? But Roy told us MS were going bust and Linux had 17%
    > already!?!??!?!

    It's amazing isn't it?

    These guys constantly lie.

    > ,----
    >| The firm said in a statement yesterday: ´As a public, for-profit
    >| company, Red Hat must create products and technologies with an eye on
    >| the bottom line, and with desktops this is much harder to do than with
    >| servers.
    >|

    >| ´The desktop market suffers from having one dominant vendor, and some
    >| people still perceive that today˙s Linux desktops simply don˙t provide
    >| a practical alternative.ˇ
    > `----
    >
    > Whoops. Looks like some of us were right and Spamowitz, Kent and Homer
    > were wrong. No surprise there then.
    >
    > And this is wonderful! They should have got Willy Poaster on
    > board. Apparently HIS desktop worked for him 10 years ago! LOL!!

    If Redhat, one of the oldest Linux companies, can't make Linux work on the
    desktop then Linux as a competitor to Windows is dead in the water.

    The truth is, people just don't like Linux.
    They want Windows and in increasing numbers Macs.

    Redhat has figured this out, finally, and it's only a matter of time before
    the others do as well.

    Linux is a niche system that happens to be excellent for servers or
    embedded devices.
    As a desktop system it is useable, but people just don't like it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  7. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:27:02 -0500, Ignoramus29232 wrote:

    > On 2008-04-17, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:15:47 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >>
    >>> "I invite you to check Amazon s Bestsellers: The most popular items in
    >>> Computers and PC Hardware list .. eight of the top 25 sellers are
    >>> Linux-powered Asus Eee UMPCs"
    >>>
    >>> "Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. if things continue in
    >>> the way they have been, I ll be ready to say Windows is collapsing"
    >>>
    >>> http://practical-tech.com/operating-...legs/#more-152

    >> Hahaha...
    >> You bumbling idiot.
    >> That's not what Redhat says BTW.
    >>
    >> They say Linux desktop can't compete with Microsoft
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...esktop_market/
    >>
    >> Red Hat scurries away from consumer desktop market
    >> By Kelly Fiveash
    >> Published Thursday 17th April 2008 11:04 GMT
    >> Linux and open source software giant Red Hat has abandoned plans to develop
    >> a consumer desktop product because it cannot compete with the might of
    >> Microsoft.
    >>

    > Moshe, you are crossposting a little bit too much from cola, can you
    > please cut down on volume. It makes it hard to talk about Ubuntu in
    > this forum. Just limit yourself to as few crossposts per day.

    Will do...sorry.
    xposting this one so you see it.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  8. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 10:35:40 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >> "I invite you to check Amazon’s Bestsellers: The most popular items in
    >> Computers and PC Hardware list .. eight of the top 25 sellers are
    >> Linux-powered Asus Eee UMPCs"
    >>
    >> "Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. if things continue in
    >> the way they have been, I’ll be ready to say Windows is collapsing"
    >>
    >> http://practical-tech.com/operating-...legs/#more-152

    > "If by April 2009, Windows 7 isn’t in beta, though, I’ll be ready to start
    > writing Windows’ obituary."
    >
    > "what I meant by that is that by 2011, we’d see Macs up to 20% of the market
    > and Linux desktops cracking 10%."
    >
    > The dream lives on!

    Yea.
    They need a massive tinfoil hat adjustment over in COLA.
    The stainless steel bands are getting too tight.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  9. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    On 2008-04-17, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:27:02 -0500, Ignoramus29232 wrote:

    >>> Hahaha...
    >>> You bumbling idiot.
    >>> That's not what Redhat says BTW.
    >>>
    >>> They say Linux desktop can't compete with Microsoft
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...esktop_market/
    >>>
    >>> Red Hat scurries away from consumer desktop market
    >>> By Kelly Fiveash
    >>> Published Thursday 17th April 2008 11:04 GMT
    >>> Linux and open source software giant Red Hat has abandoned plans to develop
    >>> a consumer desktop product because it cannot compete with the might of
    >>> Microsoft.
    >>>

    >> Moshe, you are crossposting a little bit too much from cola, can you
    >> please cut down on volume. It makes it hard to talk about Ubuntu in
    >> this forum. Just limit yourself to as few crossposts per day.

    > Will do...sorry.
    > xposting this one so you see it.

    Thanks. I don't personally mind trolling, I used to troll a lot in my
    younger days and still do, just not as much. But, this ubuntu group is
    a valuable resource and I would hate to see it trashed. I am guilty of
    advocacy xposting also. But I try to keep it limited somewhat.

  10. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    Ignoramus29232 wrote:

    > I don't personally mind trolling, I used to troll a lot in my
    >younger days and still do, just not as much. But, this ubuntu group is
    >a valuable resource and I would hate to see it trashed. I am guilty of
    >advocacy xposting also. But I try to keep it limited somewhat.

    I bet you didn't troll by repeating the same lies, *hundreds of times*
    for *years*, like the Flatfish/"Moshe" mentally-ill asshole.

  11. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:23:55 +0200, Hadron wrote:
    >
    >> Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    >>> Hahaha...
    >>> You bumbling idiot.
    >>> That's not what Redhat says BTW.
    >>>
    >>> They say Linux desktop can't compete with Microsoft
    >>>
    >>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...esktop_market/
    >>>
    >>> Red Hat scurries away from consumer desktop market
    >>> By Kelly Fiveash
    >>> Published Thursday 17th April 2008 11:04 GMT
    >>> Linux and open source software giant Red Hat has abandoned plans to
    >>> develop
    >>> a consumer desktop product because it cannot compete with the might of
    >>> Microsoft.

    >> Huh? But Roy told us MS were going bust and Linux had 17%
    >> already!?!??!?!

    > It's amazing isn't it?
    >
    > These guys constantly lie.
    >

    >> ,----
    >>| The firm said in a statement yesterday: ´As a public, for-profit
    >>| company, Red Hat must create products and technologies with an eye on
    >>| the bottom line, and with desktops this is much harder to do than with
    >>| servers.
    >>|

    >>| ´The desktop market suffers from having one dominant vendor, and some
    >>| people still perceive that today˙s Linux desktops simply don˙t provide
    >>| a practical alternative.ˇ
    >> `----
    >>
    >> Whoops. Looks like some of us were right and Spamowitz, Kent and Homer
    >> were wrong. No surprise there then.
    >>
    >> And this is wonderful! They should have got Willy Poaster on
    >> board. Apparently HIS desktop worked for him 10 years ago! LOL!!

    > If Redhat, one of the oldest Linux companies, can't make Linux work on the
    > desktop then Linux as a competitor to Windows is dead in the water.
    >
    > The truth is, people just don't like Linux.
    > They want Windows and in increasing numbers Macs.
    >
    > Redhat has figured this out, finally, and it's only a matter of time
    > before
    > the others do as well.
    >
    > Linux is a niche system that happens to be excellent for servers or
    > embedded devices.
    > As a desktop system it is useable, but people just don't like it.

    You mean you don't like it.

    Ubuntu, Red Hat, Fedora, OpenSUSE and others -- many people do like it. 7
    days to Unbuntu, 8.04 and 12 days for Fedora 9. In fact, I am downloading
    the Ubuntu beta now, I want a sneak peek!

  12. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    "Canuck57" writes:

    > "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> Huh? But Roy told us MS were going bust and Linux had 17%
    >>> already!?!??!?!

    >> It's amazing isn't it?
    >>
    >> These guys constantly lie.
    >>

    >>> ,----

    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> Whoops. Looks like some of us were right and Spamowitz, Kent and Homer
    >>> were wrong. No surprise there then.
    >>>
    >>> And this is wonderful! They should have got Willy Poaster on
    >>> board. Apparently HIS desktop worked for him 10 years ago! LOL!!

    >> If Redhat, one of the oldest Linux companies, can't make Linux work on the
    >> desktop then Linux as a competitor to Windows is dead in the water.
    >>
    >> The truth is, people just don't like Linux.
    >> They want Windows and in increasing numbers Macs.
    >>
    >> Redhat has figured this out, finally, and it's only a matter of time
    >> before
    >> the others do as well.
    >>
    >> Linux is a niche system that happens to be excellent for servers or
    >> embedded devices.
    >> As a desktop system it is useable, but people just don't like it.

    > You mean you don't like it.
    >
    > Ubuntu, Red Hat, Fedora, OpenSUSE and others -- many people do like it. 7
    > days to Unbuntu, 8.04 and 12 days for Fedora 9. In fact, I am downloading
    > the Ubuntu beta now, I want a sneak peek!

    Good for you. But many people do not. This is what needs to be addressed.

  13. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    Hadron wrote:
    > "Canuck57" writes:
    >
    >> "Moshe Goldfarb" wrote in message

    >>> It's amazing isn't it?
    >>>
    >>> These guys constantly lie.

    >>> If Redhat, one of the oldest Linux companies, can't make Linux work on the
    >>> desktop then Linux as a competitor to Windows is dead in the water.
    >>>
    >>> The truth is, people just don't like Linux.
    >>> They want Windows and in increasing numbers Macs.
    >>>
    >>> Redhat has figured this out, finally, and it's only a matter of time
    >>> before
    >>> the others do as well.
    >>>
    >>> Linux is a niche system that happens to be excellent for servers or
    >>> embedded devices.
    >>> As a desktop system it is useable, but people just don't like it.

    >> You mean you don't like it.
    >>
    >> Ubuntu, Red Hat, Fedora, OpenSUSE and others -- many people do like it. 7
    >> days to Unbuntu, 8.04 and 12 days for Fedora 9. In fact, I am downloading
    >> the Ubuntu beta now, I want a sneak peek!

    > Good for you. But many people do not. This is what needs to be addressed.

    Why?
    caver1

  14. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    "Hadron" wrote in message
    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >
    >> On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:15:47 -0700 (PDT), Doug Mentohl wrote:
    >>
    >>> "I invite you to check Amazon's Bestsellers: The most popular items in
    >>> Computers and PC Hardware list .. eight of the top 25 sellers are
    >>> Linux-powered Asus Eee UMPCs"
    >>>
    >>> "Windows is losing its grip on the desktop .. if things continue in
    >>> the way they have been, I'll be ready to say Windows is collapsing"
    >>>
    >>> http://practical-tech.com/operating-...legs/#more-152

    >> Hahaha...
    >> You bumbling idiot.
    >> That's not what Redhat says BTW.
    >>
    >> They say Linux desktop can't compete with Microsoft
    >>
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04...esktop_market/
    >>
    >> Red Hat scurries away from consumer desktop market
    >> By Kelly Fiveash
    >> Published Thursday 17th April 2008 11:04 GMT
    >> Linux and open source software giant Red Hat has abandoned plans to
    >> develop
    >> a consumer desktop product because it cannot compete with the might of
    >> Microsoft.

    > Huh? But Roy told us MS were going bust and Linux had 17%
    > already!?!??!?!

    Then Roy would be a POS f*cking liar

  15. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    "Ignoramus29232" wrote in message
    news:qcmdnXaSNZSQ85rVnZ2dnUVZ_srinZ2d@giganews.com ...
    > On 2008-04-17, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    >>> Moshe, you are crossposting a little bit too much from cola, can you
    >>> please cut down on volume. It makes it hard to talk about Ubuntu in
    >>> this forum. Just limit yourself to as few crossposts per day.

    >> Will do...sorry.
    >> xposting this one so you see it.
    >>

    > Thanks. I don't personally mind trolling, I used to troll a lot in my
    > younger days and still do, just not as much. But, this ubuntu group is
    > a valuable resource and I would hate to see it trashed. I am guilty of
    > advocacy xposting also. But I try to keep it limited somewhat.

    Kissy Kissy

  16. Re: Windows is losing its grip on the desktop ..

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 15:53:50 GMT, wdyssmd wrote:

    > "Ignoramus29232" wrote in message
    > news:qcmdnXaSNZSQ85rVnZ2dnUVZ_srinZ2d@giganews.com ...

    >>> Will do...sorry.
    >>> xposting this one so you see it.
    >>>

    >> Thanks. I don't personally mind trolling, I used to troll a lot in my
    >> younger days and still do, just not as much. But, this ubuntu group is
    >> a valuable resource and I would hate to see it trashed. I am guilty of
    >> advocacy xposting also. But I try to keep it limited somewhat.

    > Kissy Kissy

    I respect the ubuntu people because they try to do a decent job helping out
    new users.
    Nothing wrong with that!

    Compare that to the SPAM-O-Matic Schestowitz machine which is as useless as
    tits on a bull.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots: