[News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success - Linux ; Dishaa '08 a big success ,----[ Quote ] | the first GNU/Linux Install Fest, organised here on Saturday turned out to be | a big success... `---- http://keralafarmer.livejournal.com/3438.html Recent: IT@SCHOOL project in NEWS- ,----[ Quote ] | IT@SCHOOL project offers ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

  1. [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    `----

    http://keralafarmer.livejournal.com/3438.html

    Recent:

    IT@SCHOOL project in NEWS-

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | IT@SCHOOL project offers exclusively free software based support for primary
    | education in kerala.This time,Director of Public instruction has decided to
    | conduct SSLC(secondary school leaving certificate-the basic requirement for
    | higher studies in INDIA) IT practical examination for this year from 27th
    | February to 7th March 2008. It is first time , conducting IT practical
    | examination for complete students in the free software – IT@School GNU/Linux.
    | IT@School project and Pareekshabhavan has entrusted to conduct the
    | examination for more than 4.7 lakh students throughout the schools of Kerala,
    | Lakshadeep and Gulf countries. IT@school admins are preparing to apply for
    | guiness as they have the largest number of student attending an exam based on
    | exclusive free software based softwares Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*
    `----

    http://en.theorasea.org/story.php?ti...oject-in-NEWS-

    Related:

    Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A few weeks ago, the Government formally ordered that only free Linux-based
    | software should be used for IT education in high schools, using new the Linux
    | text books developed by State Council for Educational Research and Training
    | and the Free Software Foundation of India.
    `----

    http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html

    Adventures with Neko

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Recently, a few of us had a discussion about translating the book to
    | Malayalam. GNU/Linux is now available in a lot of schools - and a local
    | language version would be a boon to many smart kids who are capable of
    | learning things by themselves.
    `----

    http://pramode.net/2008/01/06/adventures-with-neko/

    The Story of Free Software in Kerala, India

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | We saw how Free Software has come to stay in Kerala. The natural question
    | this raises is, “Why Kerala?” There is no other state in the country where
    | Free Software has made an impact that is anywhere near that in Kerala.
    `----

    http://swatantryam.blogspot.com/2007...ala-india.html

    Kerala On Linux Express Highway

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The Linux slip-road that the state took is slowly becoming an
    | express highway.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | If we twist Napoleon's quote on China a bit, we can safely say, "Linux is a
    | sleeping giant, let it sleep, because when Linux moves the world moves!"
    `----

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/ful...16139&magid=11

    “Linux is more stable, it is crash resistant, and its compatibility and
    interoperability is as high as Microsoft”

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here is what Wassan has to say on the strategic equilibrium that he is
    | working on for government and enterprises. He feels it is vital for
    | opening up an opportunity for Linux to compete and develop a stronghold
    | on the market
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Majority of the schools in Kerala, for instance, have already switched over
    | to Linux and this has been possible only with the help of government support.
    | Moreover, 18 of 28 Indian states use Linux or have pilot projects for to be
    | used in government departÂ*ments and education sector.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | We have developed a partnerÂ*ship with eSys India who already has its own base
    | of large number of channel partners. Our products and software are supplied
    | to the end-customers through the retail partners of eSys. We are in a
    | dialogue to develop alliances with more and more distributors so that our
    | reach to the customers is increased.
    `----

    http://dqchannels.ciol.com/content/c.../107070601.asp

    Students develop supercomputer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Team leader C. Mahesh said that Dakshina, with Linux operating system, is a
    | platform to deliver excellent performance for users who seek high computer
    | power and resource in a multitasking environment. Dakshina utilises message
    | passing interface for a fault tolerant communication between the
    | computational nodes. It also utilises parallelism technologies like
    | multicore, multithreading and cluster of workstations.
    `----

    http://www.hindu.com/2007/11/06/stor...0650920200.htm

    FOSS India Awards: Name It To Claim It

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | According to openITis.com, "By creating a platform for Indian developers to
    | showcase their contributions, we hope to wipe away the rampant misconception
    | that Indians do not contribute to the FOSS ecosystem..."
    `----

    http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/22513/news.htm

    Students develop new GNU installer

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | “The developed installer LX series of advanced Debian GNU Hurd is available
    | in the CD format. It makes the installation task much simple and easy to
    | boot,” said Raju. The students were assisted by two lecturers P Badarudeen
    | and A.Ragesh of the IT department, besides the guidance by Philip Charles.
    `----

    http://www.newindpress.com/NewsItems...Kerala&rLink=0

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    > Dishaa '08 a big success
    >
    > ,----[ Quote ]
    >> the first GNU/Linux Install Fest, organised here on Saturday turned
    >> out to be a big success...

    > `----
    >
    > http://keralafarmer.livejournal.com/3438.html

    As many as 40 installations were made!

    uh-oh - it looks like there's an Indian version of Stallman
    http://pics.livejournal.com/keralafarmer/pic/00005rfq/

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:10:09 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Dishaa '08 a big success
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> the first GNU/Linux Install Fest, organised here on Saturday turned
    >>> out to be a big success...

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://keralafarmer.livejournal.com/3438.html

    > As many as 40 installations were made!
    >

    > uh-oh - it looks like there's an Indian version of Stallman
    > http://pics.livejournal.com/keralafarmer/pic/00005rfq/

    Hahahahaha!

    I'll take 6 gallons of Petrol and a Slurpee to go......

    Now where did I park my camel ?

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 10:10:09 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Dishaa '08 a big success
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://keralafarmer.livejournal.com/3438.html

    >> As many as 40 installations were made!
    >>

    >> uh-oh - it looks like there's an Indian version of Stallman
    >> http://pics.livejournal.com/keralafarmer/pic/00005rfq/

    > Hahahahaha!
    >
    > I'll take 6 gallons of Petrol and a Slurpee to go......
    >
    > Now where did I park my camel ?

    The camel uses no proprietary software - and it respects his 4 freedoms.

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    DFS wrote:
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Dishaa '08 a big success
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> the first GNU/Linux Install Fest, organised here on Saturday turned
    >>> out to be a big success...

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://keralafarmer.livejournal.com/3438.html

    > As many as 40 installations were made!

    http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html
    (((((
    > Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux
    > Rajeev P I
    > Posted online: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 2315 hrs

    > Kerala is all set to become the first state in the country to completely banish Microsoft and allow only GNU/Linux free software to be used in the mandatory IT test at the state SSLC examinations that half a million students will appear for from next week. Till last year, they could take the exam using either free software or the Microsoft platform. Not anymore.
    >
    > A few weeks ago, the Government formally ordered that only free Linux-based software should be used for IT education in high schools, using new the Linux text books developed by State Council for Educational Research and Training and the Free Software Foundation of India.

    )))))

  6. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    Matt wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Dishaa '08 a big success
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://keralafarmer.livejournal.com/3438.html

    >> As many as 40 installations were made!

    > http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html
    > (((((
    >> Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux
    >> Rajeev P I
    >> Posted online: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 2315 hrs

    >> Kerala is all set to become the first state in the country to
    >> completely banish Microsoft and allow only GNU/Linux free software
    >> to be used in the mandatory IT test at the state SSLC examinations
    >> that half a million students will appear for from next week. Till
    >> last year, they could take the exam using either free software or
    >> the Microsoft platform. Not anymore. A few weeks ago, the Government
    >> formally ordered that only free
    >> Linux-based software should be used for IT education in high
    >> schools, using new the Linux text books developed by State Council
    >> for Educational Research and Training and the Free Software
    >> Foundation of India.

    > )))))

    Is your point that people use Linux only when the government forces them to?

    I'm sure you're happy about that - Linux lusers wallow like snorting
    barnyard pigs over the tiniest misfortunes of Microsoft.

  7. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    Moshe Goldfarb is flatfish (aka: Gary Stewart)

    Traits:

    * Nym shifting (see below)
    * Self confessed thief and proud of it
    * Homophobic
    * Racist
    * Habitual liar

  8. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    "DFS" writes:

    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Dishaa '08 a big success
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> the first GNU/Linux Install Fest, organised here on Saturday turned
    >>> out to be a big success...

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://keralafarmer.livejournal.com/3438.html

    > As many as 40 installations were made!
    >

    > uh-oh - it looks like there's an Indian version of Stallman
    > http://pics.livejournal.com/keralafarmer/pic/00005rfq/

    I wonder if they found a distro which didn't give them so many line feed
    problems.

    Havin been to Kerala I'm not surprised that many people were

    "astonished by the animation films

    made using free software."

    In Kerala a lot of people would be astonished if they had running water.

    --
    "There is no such thing as Intellectual Property"
    Mark Kent

  9. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    DFS wrote:
    > Matt wrote:
    >> DFS wrote:

    >>> As many as 40 installations were made!

    >> http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html
    >> (((((
    >>> Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux
    >>> Rajeev P I
    >>> Posted online: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 2315 hrs
    >>> Kerala is all set to become the first state in the country to
    >>> completely banish Microsoft and allow only GNU/Linux free software
    >>> to be used in the mandatory IT test at the state SSLC examinations
    >>> that half a million students will appear for from next week. Till
    >>> last year, they could take the exam using either free software or
    >>> the Microsoft platform. Not anymore. A few weeks ago, the Government
    >>> formally ordered that only free
    >>> Linux-based software should be used for IT education in high
    >>> schools, using new the Linux text books developed by State Council
    >>> for Educational Research and Training and the Free Software
    >>> Foundation of India.

    >> )))))

    > Is your point that people use Linux only when the government forces them to?

    No, just that a half million high-school students---including the future
    leaders of an Indian state of 30 million people---are going pure
    FOSS/Linux. Kerala is one of India's most literate and least corrupt
    states. 30 million is one-half percent of the world's population. If
    you believe it will stop there, you are deluded. You are not doing
    Americans or Westerners in general any favors by encouraging them to
    cling to the monopoly.

    What was your point in mentioning that there were 40 installations?

    > I'm sure you're happy about that - Linux lusers wallow like snorting
    > barnyard pigs over the tiniest misfortunes of Microsoft.

  10. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    Matt wrote:
    > DFS wrote:
    >> Matt wrote:

    >>> http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html
    >>> (((((
    >>> )))))

    >> Is your point that people use Linux only when the government forces
    >> them to?

    > No,

    Then what is your point in posting an article about the government forcing
    Linux onto high school IT curriculums?

    > just that a half million high-school students---including the
    > future leaders of an Indian state of 30 million people---are going
    > pure FOSS/Linux.

    Those students are doing no such thing - they're being forced to use Linux
    in their high school IT classes.

    > Kerala is one of India's most literate and least
    > corrupt states. 30 million is one-half percent of the world's
    > population.

    I see some cola-style "advocacy" happening right in front of my eyes:
    half-a-million students forced by the government to use Linux for an IT test
    have suddenly become 30 million new Linux devotees.

    > If you believe it will stop there, you are deluded.

    I don't believe it will stop there, because I don't believe it will ever
    start there.

    I do think the IT students will learn more about operating systems by
    studying Linux than Windows. Hopefully they won't absorb the bad UI design
    endemic to open source crapware.

    > You are not doing Americans or Westerners in general any favors by
    > encouraging them to cling to the monopoly.

    There is no monopoly, there never was a monopoly, and there never will be a
    monopoly.

    I encourage my fellow Americans and other Westerners to use whatever they
    want to use. If they want the best personal computing experience, they
    should use Windows and commercial code.

    Ubuntu\OpenOffice\gnucash\Gambas\MySQL\Nexuiz ($0)

    Vista Home Premium\Office Pro\Quicken\Visual Studio Express\SQL Server
    Dev\BioShock (~$475)

    Which would you rather use, and why?

    Note: I have no love for Microsoft (they're far too big and pervasive and
    influential), but I have much love for some of their software.

    > What was your point in mentioning that there were 40 installations?

    I was just overcome with happiness about some new Linux installs.

    >> I'm sure you're happy about that - Linux lusers wallow like snorting
    >> barnyard pigs over the tiniest misfortunes of Microsoft.

    Linux "advocates": oink

  11. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    An excellent post DFS!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  12. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    ____/ Matt on Wednesday 16 April 2008 15:34 : \____

    > DFS wrote:
    >> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >>> Dishaa '08 a big success
    >>>
    >>> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> `----
    >>>
    >>> http://keralafarmer.livejournal.com/3438.html

    >> As many as 40 installations were made!

    > http://www.indianexpress.com/story/280323.html
    > (((((
    >> Kerala shuts windows, schools to use only Linux
    >> Rajeev P I
    >> Posted online: Wednesday, March 05, 2008 at 2315 hrs

    >> Kerala is all set to become the first state in the country to completely
    >> banish Microsoft and allow only GNU/Linux free software to be used in the
    >> mandatory IT test at the state SSLC examinations that half a million
    >> students will appear for from next week. Till last year, they could take
    >> the exam using either free software or the Microsoft platform. Not anymore.
    >>
    >> A few weeks ago, the Government formally ordered that only free Linux-based
    >> software should be used for IT education in high schools, using new the
    >> Linux text books developed by State Council for Educational Research and
    >> Training and the Free Software Foundation of India.

    > )))))

    Kerala as a whole is gradually moving to Free software (not just GNU/Linux as a
    platform). They migrate by the applications.

    Microsoft Munchkins are threatened by this because 30 million people are
    involved here and this leads to domino effect that has already reached other
    states (e.g. Tamil Nadu). It's best to just ignore the Munchkins though. They
    spread lies and hope they stick as true (due to repetition).

    --
    ~~ Best of wishes

    Steve Ballmer is even monkier than his moniker suggests
    21:05:01 up 1 day, 19:17, 3 users, load average: 0.56, 1.47, 1.58

  13. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    http://www.vsachuthanandan.org/
    (Kerala)

    Related: (Source: Wikipedia) Agriculture dominates the Keralite economy.
    Kerala lags behind many other Indian states and territories in terms of
    per capita GDP (11,819 INR[1]) and economic productivity. ... Kerala's
    economy can be best described as a democratic socialist welfare economy.
    However, Kerala's emphasis on equitable distribution of resources has
    resulted in slow economic progress compared to neighboring states.
    Relatively few major corporations and manufacturing plants are
    headquartered in Kerala. Remittances from Keralites working abroad,
    mainly in the Middle East, make up over 20% of State Domestic Product
    (SDP).

    Matt wrote:
    [...]
    > people---are going

    Indeed. Cause they want better life and they do find it outside Kerala.

    http://www.indiaenews.com/business/20080305/102159.htm

    "Kerala needs to productively use Rs.200 billion it receives through
    annual remittances from people working overseas and increase its share
    of foreign direct investment (FDI) to reduce its per capita debt, the
    state's Economic Review for 2007 has said.

    The review, released here late Tuesday ahead of the state's budget to be
    presented Thursday, said that per capita debt stands at Rs.12,681 in
    2005, up from Rs.7,414 in 2001, the highest among the four southern
    Indian states."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Kerala

    "Foreign Remittances

    In a state of 32 million where unemployment approaches 20 percent, one
    Keralite worker in six now works overseas. The largest number work in
    construction, although high literacy allows some Keralites to secure
    office work. Foreign remittances augment the state’s economic output by
    nearly 25 percent. Migrants’ families are three times as likely as those
    of nonmigrants to live in superior housing, and about twice as likely to
    have telephones, refrigerators and cars. [5]"

    regards,
    alexander.

    --
    http://gng.z505.com/index.htm
    too, whereas GNU cannot.)

  14. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    Alexander Terekhov wrote:
    > http://www.vsachuthanandan.org/
    > (Kerala)

    Thank you for the links.

    > Related: (Source: Wikipedia) Agriculture dominates the Keralite economy.

    That implies that computing in Kerala is dominated even more by schools
    and government. Then Linux adoption by those entities means greater
    Linux domination of IT in Kerala.

    > In a state of 32 million where unemployment approaches 20 percent, one
    > Keralite worker in six now works overseas. The largest number work in
    > construction, although high literacy allows some Keralites to secure
    > office work. Foreign remittances augment the state’s economic output by
    > nearly 25 percent. Migrants’ families are three times as likely as those
    > of nonmigrants to live in superior housing, and about twice as likely to
    > have telephones, refrigerators and cars. [5]"

    That makes Kerala's Linux adoption the more important, because the
    literate emigrating Keralites are all going to know FOSS/Linux but won't
    necessarily know anything about MS products. Some of them will carry
    FOSS/Linux with them and apply it in their work.

    > regards,
    > alexander.

  15. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:25:08 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    > http://www.vsachuthanandan.org/
    > (Kerala)
    >
    > Related: (Source: Wikipedia) Agriculture dominates the Keralite economy.
    > Kerala lags behind many other Indian states and territories in terms of
    > per capita GDP (11,819 INR[1]) and economic productivity. ... Kerala's
    > economy can be best described as a democratic socialist welfare economy.
    > However, Kerala's emphasis on equitable distribution of resources has
    > resulted in slow economic progress compared to neighboring states.
    > Relatively few major corporations and manufacturing plants are
    > headquartered in Kerala. Remittances from Keralites working abroad,
    > mainly in the Middle East, make up over 20% of State Domestic Product
    > (SDP).
    >
    > Matt wrote:
    > [...]
    >> people---are going

    > Indeed. Cause they want better life and they do find it outside Kerala.
    >
    > http://www.indiaenews.com/business/20080305/102159.htm
    >
    > "Kerala needs to productively use Rs.200 billion it receives through
    > annual remittances from people working overseas and increase its share
    > of foreign direct investment (FDI) to reduce its per capita debt, the
    > state's Economic Review for 2007 has said.
    >
    > The review, released here late Tuesday ahead of the state's budget to be
    > presented Thursday, said that per capita debt stands at Rs.12,681 in
    > 2005, up from Rs.7,414 in 2001, the highest among the four southern
    > Indian states."
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Kerala
    >
    > "Foreign Remittances
    >
    > In a state of 32 million where unemployment approaches 20 percent, one
    > Keralite worker in six now works overseas. The largest number work in
    > construction, although high literacy allows some Keralites to secure
    > office work. Foreign remittances augment the state’s economic output by
    > nearly 25 percent. Migrants’ families are three times as likely as those
    > of nonmigrants to live in superior housing, and about twice as likely to
    > have telephones, refrigerators and cars. [5]"
    >
    > regards,
    > alexander.

    Sounds like the perfect place for Linux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Lack of running water.
    Lack of flush toilets.
    Lack of personal hygiene.

    What better place for LINUX and the unwashed masses that use Linux!!!!!!!

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  16. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    Moshe Goldfarb writes:

    > Sounds like the perfect place for Linux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    > Lack of running water.
    > Lack of flush toilets.
    > Lack of personal hygiene.
    >
    > What better place for LINUX and the unwashed masses that use
    > Linux!!!!!!!

    Better is the intermittent power supply. The usual liars and frauds can
    claim that any issues are down to MS controlled electricity supply!

  17. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 03:07:18 +0200, Hadron wrote:

    > Moshe Goldfarb writes:
    >

    >> Sounds like the perfect place for Linux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >> Lack of running water.
    >> Lack of flush toilets.
    >> Lack of personal hygiene.
    >>
    >> What better place for LINUX and the unwashed masses that use
    >> Linux!!!!!!!

    > Better is the intermittent power supply. The usual liars and frauds can
    > claim that any issues are down to MS controlled electricity supply!

    When i used to work for big blue back in the late 70's and early 80's,
    whenever a 3033 mainframe had problems they used to blame it on "silver
    migration" in the interconnecting cables.

    Sounds much like the excuses the Linux crew uses today.

    --
    Moshe Goldfarb
    Please visit The Hall of Linux Idiots:
    http://linuxidiots.blogspot.com/

  18. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:26:41 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:25:08 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.vsachuthanandan.org/
    >> (Kerala)
    >>
    >> Related: (Source: Wikipedia) Agriculture dominates the Keralite
    >> economy. Kerala lags behind many other Indian states and territories in
    >> terms of per capita GDP (11,819 INR[1]) and economic productivity. ...
    >> Kerala's economy can be best described as a democratic socialist
    >> welfare economy. However, Kerala's emphasis on equitable distribution
    >> of resources has resulted in slow economic progress compared to
    >> neighboring states. Relatively few major corporations and manufacturing
    >> plants are headquartered in Kerala. Remittances from Keralites working
    >> abroad, mainly in the Middle East, make up over 20% of State Domestic
    >> Product (SDP).
    >>
    >> Matt wrote:
    >> [...]
    >>> people---are going

    >> Indeed. Cause they want better life and they do find it outside Kerala.
    >>
    >> http://www.indiaenews.com/business/20080305/102159.htm
    >>
    >> "Kerala needs to productively use Rs.200 billion it receives through
    >> annual remittances from people working overseas and increase its share
    >> of foreign direct investment (FDI) to reduce its per capita debt, the
    >> state's Economic Review for 2007 has said.
    >>
    >> The review, released here late Tuesday ahead of the state's budget to
    >> be presented Thursday, said that per capita debt stands at Rs.12,681 in
    >> 2005, up from Rs.7,414 in 2001, the highest among the four southern
    >> Indian states."
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Kerala
    >>
    >> "Foreign Remittances
    >>
    >> In a state of 32 million where unemployment approaches 20 percent, one
    >> Keralite worker in six now works overseas. The largest number work in
    >> construction, although high literacy allows some Keralites to secure
    >> office work. Foreign remittances augment the stateÂ’s economic output by
    >> nearly 25 percent. MigrantsÂ’ families are three times as likely as
    >> those of nonmigrants to live in superior housing, and about twice as
    >> likely to have telephones, refrigerators and cars. [5]"
    >>
    >> regards,
    >> alexander.

    > Sounds like the perfect place for Linux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lack of running
    > water.
    > Lack of flush toilets.
    > Lack of personal hygiene.
    >
    > What better place for LINUX and the unwashed masses that use
    > Linux!!!!!!!

    So, you have no running water, and you and your family are unwashed?

    --
    Rick

  19. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    "DFS" wrote in message
    news:fMnNj.24578$%15.4302@bignews7.bellsouth.net.. .
    > Roy Schestowitz wrote:
    >> Dishaa '08 a big success
    >>
    >> ,----[ Quote ]
    >>> the first GNU/Linux Install Fest, organised here on Saturday turned
    >>> out to be a big success...

    >> `----
    >>
    >> http://keralafarmer.livejournal.com/3438.html

    > As many as 40 installations were made!

    And by the end of the weekend 39+ of those 40 might installs that were such
    a "big success" will be reverted back to Windows.

    If as many as "40 installs" are a considered a "big success" then what on
    earth would be considered a failure. Microsoft sells 40 copies of Windows
    every 1 or 2 seconds.

    > uh-oh - it looks like there's an Indian version of Stallman
    > http://pics.livejournal.com/keralafarmer/pic/00005rfq/

  20. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    Moshe Goldfarb wrote:

    > An excellent post DFS!!

    Thanks Moshe

+ Reply to Thread