[News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success - Linux

This is a discussion on [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success - Linux ; Ezekiel had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 17-04-08 17:07: > > And by the end of the weekend 39+ of those 40 might installs that were such > a "big success" will be reverted back to Windows. You do not ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33

  1. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    Ezekiel had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 17-04-08 17:07:

    > And by the end of the weekend 39+ of those 40 might installs that were such
    > a "big success" will be reverted back to Windows.

    You do not know this; you are just guessing being pissed off.

    > If as many as "40 installs" are a considered a "big success" then what on
    > earth would be considered a failure. Microsoft sells 40 copies of Windows
    > every 1 or 2 seconds.

    Of course, we all know that the gains of Linux are negligible compared
    to MS sales. But the joke is: it does not matter. Never heard of
    exponential growth?

    Erik Jan

  2. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    "Erik Jan" wrote in message
    > Ezekiel had de volgende lumineuze gedachte op 17-04-08 17:07:
    >

    >> And by the end of the weekend 39+ of those 40 might installs that were
    >> such a "big success" will be reverted back to Windows.

    > You do not know this; you are just guessing being pissed off.

    I received an anonymous email from a reliable source.

    >> If as many as "40 installs" are a considered a "big success" then what on
    >> earth would be considered a failure. Microsoft sells 40 copies of Windows
    >> every 1 or 2 seconds.
    >>

    > Of course, we all know that the gains of Linux are negligible compared to
    > MS sales. But the joke is: it does not matter. Never heard of exponential
    > growth?

    Is this imaginary "exponential growth" of yours the same growth behind
    linux's 0.6% marketshare after giving the software away for free for over 10
    years?

    > Erik Jan

  3. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:04:47 -0500
    <1JOdnf5uqZrSI5vVnZ2dnUVZ_ovinZ2d@supernews.com>:
    > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:26:41 -0400, Moshe Goldfarb wrote:
    >
    >> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 22:25:08 +0200, Alexander Terekhov wrote:

    [snip for brevity]

    >>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Kerala
    >>>
    >>> "Foreign Remittances
    >>>
    >>> In a state of 32 million where unemployment approaches 20 percent, one
    >>> Keralite worker in six now works overseas. The largest number work in
    >>> construction, although high literacy allows some Keralites to secure
    >>> office work. Foreign remittances augment the state’s economic output by
    >>> nearly 25 percent. Migrants’ families are three times as likely as
    >>> those of nonmigrants to live in superior housing, and about twice as
    >>> likely to have telephones, refrigerators and cars. [5]"
    >>>
    >>> regards,
    >>> alexander.

    >> Sounds like the perfect place for Linux!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lack of running
    >> water.
    >> Lack of flush toilets.
    >> Lack of personal hygiene.
    >>
    >> What better place for LINUX and the unwashed masses that use
    >> Linux!!!!!!!

    > So, you have no running water, and you and your family are unwashed?

    Of course not; they can no longer afford such luxuries.
    But the computer now runs absolutely gorgeous Vista software!

    :-)

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    /dev/signature: Not a text file

  4. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    Erik Jan wrote:

    > Never heard of exponential growth?

    Only in your dreams will Linux installs grow exponentially.

  5. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

    > Of course not; they can no longer afford such luxuries.
    > But the computer now runs absolutely gorgeous Vista software!

    Vista costs less than $100.00.

    Why are you so broke, Ghost?

  6. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, DFS

    wrote
    on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:48:23 -0400
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> Of course not; they can no longer afford such luxuries.
    >> But the computer now runs absolutely gorgeous Vista software!

    > Vista costs less than $100.00.
    >
    > Why are you so broke, Ghost?

    Vista doesn't provide such things as:

    - integrated GUI development. Certain elements of Visual
    Studio.NET might be downloadable, though.

    - program compilation. I think C#.NET is downloadable
    and installable, though. C# is of course one of
    Microsoft's best innovations, combining warmed-over
    Java with peculiar Microsoft C++-like innovations like
    autotranslation of assignment statements to virtualizable
    procedure calls.

    - program verification tools such as lint.

    - Java. Sun provides it free of charge, of course.

    - remote desktop login through either ssh, vnc, or both.

    - Bitlocker encryption unless I buy Ultimate or
    Enterprise...and I'm not sure about Enterprise.

    - source code.

    - a webserver that runs on my desktop for testing purposes.
    Of course I can run Apache but that's not even closer
    to kosher, as any serious website developer will want
    to use Internet Information Services version 6, which
    integrates well with the absolutely bog-standard (OK,
    half of that anyway) Internet Explorer 7.

    - Web brwoser SVG capability out of the box. Oh, wait, I
    need to be using Silverlight instead anyway. Silly me.

    - simple automation, though with Powershell (oh, that
    costs extra, and I am not sure it's available yet)
    one might have some interesting capabilities.

    - freedom. That definitely costs extra.

    Microsoft. Where did you want to be dragged to today?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. Because vaporware only goes so far.

  7. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:48:23 -0400, DFS wrote:

    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >
    >> Of course not; they can no longer afford such luxuries. But the
    >> computer now runs absolutely gorgeous Vista software!

    > Vista costs less than $100.00.

    Where?

    > Why are you so broke, Ghost?

    Why pay $100 for something you don't want?

    --
    Rick

  8. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:

    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:48:23 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> Vista costs less than $100.00.

    > Where?

    The basic version you get from an OEM.

    >> Why are you so broke, Ghost?

    > Why pay $100 for something you don't want?

    Seriously! You can get a hell of a lot of RAM or disk storage for $100.
    Why waste it on an operating system that itself wastes both of those
    resources?

    Personally, I can barely stand XP. Why would I pay /anything/ to
    migrate to a "solution" that so many people find problematic?

    That would be crazy!

    --

  9. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:34:21 -0400, troll Linonut said after being slapped:
    > * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >
    > Personally, I can barely stand XP.

    You should stop using XP then. Why do you keep on using XP everyday at
    work and home?

    --
    Linonut: I am Roy Schestowitz's bed partner

  10. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 19:24:44 +0000, Lintard wrote:

    > On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:34:21 -0400, troll Linonut said after being
    > slapped:
    >> * Rick peremptorily fired off this memo:
    >>
    >> Personally, I can barely stand XP.

    > You should stop using XP then. Why do you keep on using XP everyday at
    > work and home?

    I use 2000 and XP at work every day because that's what the
    administration put on the machines. When I have a choice, I use Linux.

    --
    Rick

  11. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick

    wrote
    on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:00:39 -0500
    :
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 20:48:23 -0400, DFS wrote:
    >
    >> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >>
    >>> Of course not; they can no longer afford such luxuries. But the
    >>> computer now runs absolutely gorgeous Vista software!

    >> Vista costs less than $100.00.

    > Where?

    Home Basic Edition presumably has an upgrade price from WinXP of $99.99.

    >> Why are you so broke, Ghost?

    > Why pay $100 for something you don't want?

    Because Microsoft told me to, of course. Why else?

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C++ Programming Idea #12995733:
    bool f(bool g, bool h) { if(g) h = true; else h = false; return h;}

  12. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >
    > wrote
    > on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:00:39 -0500
    > :

    >>> Vista costs less than $100.00.

    >> Where?

    > Home Basic Edition presumably has an upgrade price from WinXP of $99.99.

    But is Home Basic any more gorgeous than XP?

  13. Re: [News] GNU/Linux Installfest in Kerala Claimed a Big Success

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Matt

    wrote
    on Sat, 19 Apr 2008 15:11:08 GMT
    :
    > The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
    >> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Rick
    >>
    >> wrote
    >> on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 22:00:39 -0500
    >> :

    >>> Where?

    >> Home Basic Edition presumably has an upgrade price from WinXP of $99.99.

    > But is Home Basic any more gorgeous than XP?

    Depends on where one looks. With Linux, I can pop open
    the hood and admire the engine, though the outside exterior
    might not be to everyone's liking. With Windows, the paint
    flakes off and the hood is welded shut.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Linux. An OS which actually, unlike certain other offerings, works.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2