Linux is Good for the Elderly

,----[ Quote ]
| I was surprised at some of his comments. Especially the perception that Linux
| appears “…for the younger or professional computer users…” and that he found
| Linux easy to use! I do remember though, when he first switched, there were
| an awful lot of “Where is this” and “How do I do that” questions. But he
| took the time to become familiar with the interface. Evidently if an
| individual in his eighties enjoys using Linux, I’m sure others would as well.
| And I agree with his suggestion to give it a try. Linux is Good for the
| Elderly

Top 10 Linux FUD Patterns, Part 7

,----[ Quote ]
| The perception that Linux is behind the times, always playing catch-up,
| spawns from the fact that the development of Linux as a mainstream desktop
| environment has been, by and large, reactionary.

A lot of the most professional software runs on Linux and Unixes but not on OS
X and Windows.

Open Source and Movie Magic

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week at FOSDEM, I attended Tux With Shades, Linux In Hollywood, a
| keynote by Robin Rowe and Gabrielle Pantera. Robin is the admin of the
| CinePaint project, which is used for frame-by-frame retouching of film - part
| of a long chain of technology needed for making movie magic, all of which
| typically runs on Linux. * *

Hollywood, Linux, and CinePaint at FOSDEM 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, studios had no choice but to develop Linux applications in house.
| The film industry has millions of lines of Linux code, both desktop
| applications and server pipelines. Studio Linux programmers write code in
| C++, Python, Perl, and Java. What does all this secret proprietary Linux code
| do? And, why do they do parallel programming with grid computing? How does
| the film industry use renderfarms with thousands of CPUs?

DreamWorks wins an award for its innovative use of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Behind that effort sits Ed Leonard, chief technology officer at DreamWorks,
| who has been recognized for his work with an Annie Award for "promoting the
| Linux open system for animation in animation studios and gaming software
| development."

Linux Goes Hollywood With New Terra Soft Film Rendering Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Y-Film is a product formed from two separate applications. The first is a
| cluster construction suite supported by Terra Soft's Y-HPC platform. The
| second is the Artist Productivity and Asset Management Tools developed by
| Scott Frankel, president and VFX supervisor at Circle-S Studios and the lead
| developer of Y-Film. The tool set runs on x86 Linux, Power Linux and Mac OS
| X.

Linux in Hollywood

Studios Using Linux

,----[ Quote ]